When the lord was creating vietnam vets

This is a discussion on When the lord was creating vietnam vets within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wish I could take credit for writing this, but alas, I received it through another site. Just wanted to post it for the Vietnam ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By First Sgt

Thread: When the lord was creating vietnam vets

I wish I could take credit for writing this, but alas, I received it through another site. Just wanted to post it for the Vietnam Vets on this site and for those Vets that wish to substitute YOUR era into the story.

WHEN THE LORD WAS CREATING VIETNAM VETS

When the Lord was creating Vietnam veterans, He was into his 6th day of overtime when an angel appeared. "You're certainly doing a lot of fiddling around on this one." And God said, "have you seen the specs on this order? A Nam vet has to be able to run 5 miles through the bush with a full pack on, endure with barely any sleep for days, enter tunnels his higher ups wouldn't consider doing, and keep his weapons clean and operable. He has to be able to sit in his hole all night during an attack, hold his buddies as they die, walk point in unfamiliar territory known to be VC infested, and somehow keep his senses alert for danger. He has to be in top physical condition existing on C-rats and very little rest. And he has to have 6 pairs of hands." The angel shook his head slowly and said, "6 pairs of hands…no way." The Lord said, "It's not the hands that are causing me problems…It's the 3 pair of eyes a Nam vet has to have." "That's on the standard model?" asked the angel. The Lord nodded. "One pair that sees through elephant grass, another pair here in the side of his head for his buddies, and another pair here in front that can look reassuringly at his bleeding fellow soldier and say, "You'll make it"…when he knows he won't. "Lord, rest, and work on this tomorrow." "I can't," said the Lord "I already have a model that can carry a wounded soldier 1,000 yards during a firefight, calm the fears of the latest FNG, and feed a family of 4 on a grunt's paycheck." The angel walked around the model and said, "Can it think?" "You bet," said the Lord. "It can quote much of the UCMJ, recite all his general orders, and engage in a search and destroy mission in less time than it takes for his fellow Americans back home to discuss the morality of the War, and still keep his sense of humor." "This Nam vet also has phenomenal personal control. He can deal with ambushes from hell, comfort a fallen soldier's family, and then read in his hometown paper how Nam vets are baby killers, psychos, addicts, killers of innocent civilians." The Lord gazed into the future and said, "He will also endure being vilified and spit on when he returns home, rejected and crucified by the very ones he fought for." Finally, the angel slowly ran his finger across the vet's cheek, and said, "There's a leak…I told you that you were trying to put too much into this model." "That's not a leak", said the Lord. "That's a tear." "What's the tear for?" asked the angel. "It's for bottled up emotions, for holding fallen soldiers as they die, for commitment to that funny piece of cloth called the American flag, for the terror of living with PTSD for decades after the war, alone with it's demons with no one to care or help." "You're a genius," said the angel, casting a gaze at the tear. The Lord looked very somber, as if seeing down eternity's distant shores…"I didn't put it there", he said.

God bless Nam vets. (Author Unknown)
    oneshot, WHEC724, hk45c and 4 others like this.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

That hit me hard. My uncle was a Nam vet and committed suicide when I was only a baby. It tears me up that I never even knew him cause Mom says he was just like me and I would have loved him. God bless all who've served.

VIP Member
    Good post,
    First Sgt.

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." ~Ernest Hemingway
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    FNG! First time I've heard that in a while and it brings back memories. Anybody hit? A couple of the FNG's sarge.

Thanks for posting First Sgt!
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. Because it's in English, thank a vet

nice post, thanks for sharing!

Yep, as bad as it was, the welcome home we received was the topper!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good post, Top.

Links