"I'm commandeering your vehicle for official Police business!"

This is a discussion on "I'm commandeering your vehicle for official Police business!" within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK we've all seen this in the movies and on TV many times. LEO needs a car to pursue a BG, and takes a citizen's ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: "I'm commandeering your vehicle for official Police business!"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

OK we've all seen this in the movies and on TV many times. LEO needs a car to pursue a BG, and takes a citizen's car. Or maybe their cell phone to make an emergency call. Off topic but LE related question.

So my question is, is there any statutory authority anywhere in the USA for an LEO to do this?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Yea right Ohh TJ Hooker ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    looking at the cruisers they have damaged daily.....id drop the keys in a sewer before id let a cop drive off in my car.
    but id be happy to drive him to his destination.

bedsides, i can not ever remember a 'news story' that reported a citizens car being commandeered.
    Arthritis sucks big-big
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    looking at the cruisers they have damaged daily.....id drop the keys in a sewer before id let a cop drive off in my car.
    but id be happy to drive him to his destination.

bedsides, i can not ever remember a 'news story' that reported a citizens car being commandeered.
    I'm safe from that. Even from car-jackings... I drive a 1982 Honda Accord 5 Speed. NOBODY knows how to drive a 5 speed anymore. And, it doesn't go anywhere fast. And it sounds kinda like it's dying. (My exhaust broke, and I haven't fixed it)
    TheGiant likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Administrator
    It can be done, but only in the most extreme of emergencies. Wrecking a police car and "jacking" and passerby to continue the chase like in the movies just isn't going to fly. I have "commandeered" a phone before. But it was more like, "Excuse me ma'am, my radio battery is dead and I can't transmit. I need to check in with dispatch before they send the cavalry to look for me. Can I borrow your phone?" She said sure, I made the 20 second call and thanked her... but had it been a true life and death situation, I would have simply taken her phone if I needed too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I just simply can't see this happening today.

I suspect that most departments have very stringent policies on that.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not unless I'm doing the driving, Barney.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Not unless I'm doing the driving, Barney.

snorted on that one... Thanks!
    ccman likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Grasshopper... all you must do is grab this 230gr pebble from my pistol... then you may have my truck.
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Senior Moderator
    The idea of commandeering a vehicle, is so unrealistic that I never actually ever seen it written in policy or ever even heard of it being mentioned.
    Sort of like...in the event that a meteor strikes...do this...and this and this. It just aint in there.

I can't lie and say that the thought has never crossed my mind though. Just the other day I had an "evil" thought. This super ugly truck, came right up on me at the one of the few stop signs in town. It was a hopped up redneck special, complete with big tires,multi colored paint scheme on the doors and hood and a bumper that was looking directly into my rear view mirror. Normally, I dont give such vehicles a second look but this one had some nuclear grade bass speakers thumping so loudly that it was making waves in my cup of sweet tea that I had in the cup holder.

Had it been a recognizable tune, it probably wouldn't have been so bad....but it was far from it. It had some sort of head banger music going that was so terrible that in the few short seconds of listening to it, had me wanting to unload my riot shotgun into the speakers. Between the high pitched squeals that were actually enlargeing the cracks in my windshield to the low pitched blasts that felt like bombs going off in the Sandbox, the thought of "commandeering" that truck actually had appeal.

I envisioned my self driving it to the local rock quarry and jumping out of it...right before it took the plunge into the rocks and water below and standing there looking down at it as it made its last trip, thus making the town a peaceful, quiet place to live once again.

It's probably a good thing that we cant "commandeer" vehicles now that I think of it.
    I could see me getting in trouble with that eventually.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I need a new car. Please officer, commandeer mine!! Please!! I'll listen to my scanner and drive to crime scenes just in case you need a car.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member

It happened to my dad--car commandeered

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The idea of commandeering a vehicle, is so unrealistic that I never actually ever seen it written in policy or ever even heard of it being mentioned.
    Sometime long before I was born my dad had his car commandeered. Cop jumped onto the running board (1920s) and ordered him to chase another car. An arrest was made and my dad was compelled by subpoena to appear as a witness.

That said, I've not heard of anything like that going on in more recent times.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Senior Moderator
    Sometime long before I was born my dad had his car commandeered. Cop jumped onto the running board (1920s) and ordered him to chase another car. An arrest was made and my dad was compelled by subpoena to appear as a witness.

That said, I've not heard of anything like that going on in more recent times.
    Back in those days, the thought of someone suing a buisness because they spilled hot coffee in their lap was unthinkable and never even considered.

Can you imagine the outcry if that same thing had happened today and your father was killed in a crash because of that pursuit?
    It'd be on every news channel in the country and every internet bulletin board would be in major discussion over the details.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I have a relatively new car (to me), and you ain't gettin it unless you get me with it; and I get to shoot!
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links