This is a discussion on 1911 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Purchase two of what ever 1911 platform you are committed to carrying. You'll need the second one for when the first one starts acting like ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1911

Purchase two of what ever 1911 platform you are committed to carrying. You'll need the second one for when the first one starts acting like a spoiled child.

I would never outfit any department with a 1911 unless I had a Master 1911 gunsmith in the armorers room or where one myself. They will need more attention than any other duty weapon that you have ever carried. If your a dept that actually takes their pistol shooting skills seriously and puts thousands of rounds down range you will need to replace extractors, ejectors, main springs, sears, trigger adjustments, barrel links, barrel link pins etc etc, etc. This requires the operator to know how too, or have somebody on staff that knows "how too" fit parts, grind, tune and a host of other requirements to keep the pistol running smoothly.

If you just want .45 APC caliber there a host of other low maintenace pistols available. It's your life on the line. Personally I'd just carry a Glock 21/21SF or M&P .45 ACP full size.

not to mention, single stack limits your firepower. How fast can you execute a mag reload under stress with an adrenaline dump ???

For your benefit I have to say this. RIA guns may be cheap but for a reason. I have yet to have one that has run a full mag smoothly without a type II failure, even with CMC mags and Wilson mags. I wouldn't trust that gun as a paper weight.

YMMV
    Perhaps your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    My current duty weapon is a Springfield XDM primarily, but for special events I bring out my Rock Island 1911A1.
    What do you consider a special event? Do you mean like a higher than normal threat, or dress up?
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

VIP Member
    I carried a SA Operator for the last couple of years on the street and carried various 1911's and BHP's also.

Just make sure Chris when you change out weapons systems spend a few minutes getting your brain organized on what you have to do to get the system going should you have to use it. I carry a variety of weapons systems and I always take a few minutes to get my head and but wired to the same sheet of music, i.e. holsters, safeties and so on, before going out the door.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Skygod View Post
    Purchase two of what ever 1911
    For your benefit I have to say this. RIA guns may be cheap but for a reason. I have yet to have one that has run a full mag smoothly without a type II failure, even with CMC mags and Wilson mags. I wouldn't trust that gun as a paper weight.

YMMV
    I have shot thousands of rounds out of my RIA without any problems. Many of these rounds were in IDPA type of shooting events. I have known many others that have no problems with their RIA pistols. I have now retired my RIA in favor of a Glock 35, not because of malfunctions but because of the 10 rd vs. 8 rd mag capacity requirements of the shooting sports I participate in and the availably of range pick up brass.

I had enough confidence in my RIA that it accompanied me on my trips prospecting, photographing/exploring ghost towns in the southern ( rural border area, sometimes within 500 yards of the border) area of my state.

It is because of the cost of the RIA, I subject it to the possibility of rough treatment, getting banged on rocks, vehicle door jams, covered with dirt/dust Etc that I leave my more expensive Colts and Kimbers home. Range testing has proved to my satifaction that it will shoot 'minute of man' out to and including 50 yards. FWIW I purchased mine in 2004 when CDNN was selling them for $199.00.

My Cravat is that never carry a gun that you don’t have 100% confidence in regardless of the make or model.

Quote Originally Posted by Beans View Post
    Our SO Deputies are issued Colt 1911 in 45 ACP
    What county are you in Beans?

I would suggest you buy additional main springs,My RIA compact was flawless for a couple of years I carried it,then it became a range gun primarily,I noticed the last few times first round out of mag I had to tap the slide to seat it,got to thinking I have never changed the recoil spring in this in like 4 years,when I pulled the spring out it was badly distorted,new spring and it's back to it's old self.
    I would carry more than 2 spare mags,and a BUG
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Make sure you get a new pair of boots to go with it.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I would suggest you buy additional main springs,My RIA compact was flawless for a couple of years I carried it,then it became a range gun primarily,I noticed the last few times first round out of mag I had to tap the slide to seat it,got to thinking I have never changed the recoil spring in this in like 4 years,when I pulled the spring out it was badly distorted,new spring and it's back to it's old self.
    I would carry more than 2 spare mags,and a BUG
    Mainsprings or recoil springs Duk, or are you recommending both?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

What county are you in Beans?
    Cochise County AZ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links