Had a question.

This is a discussion on Had a question. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As I've said MANY times, I really want to get into Law Enforcement. I'm not sure I want to work for this department though as ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45
  • 1 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By 64zebra
  • 1 Post By Secret Spuk
  • 2 Post By Pioneer
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: Had a question.

Had a question.

As I've said MANY times, I really want to get into Law Enforcement. I'm not sure I want to work for this department though as I disagree with the way the local Sheriff runs things. He's the friendliest guy you'd ever want to meet, but he's a liberal and runs the Sheriff's Office like one. He spends money left and right on things that will never get used in a million years and he's taken over the local law enforcement because they didn't have the money to keep running. Now he's about to do the same to the EMS and fire.

Anyway, /rant! I'm looking for info on cities that are larger (I don't want to work in Mayberry, I want to be a cop in order to fight crime) but still lean right and are pro-law enforcement. Also, it would be a huge plus if they didn't use Polymer sidearms (preferably Sigs.) I like the heft of metal and I shoot Sigs the best.

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a LEO, but your 'Location' says you live in Tampa. That certainly does not qualify as "Mayberry", LOL.

IMHO, Tampa would be a challenging place to be a LEO and you would get plenty of opportunity to "fight crime". Good luck in your eventual choice. I went through the same process almost 40 years ago, but never did sign on.
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Delaware State Police use Sigs!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Delaware State Police use Sigs!
    Yeah, but I hate the cold and I'm a Southern boy. With all them Yankees around I wouldn't know who to shoot. J/K

Quote Originally Posted by Chevy-SS View Post
    I'm not a LEO, but your 'Location' says you live in Tampa. That certainly does not qualify as "Mayberry", LOL.

IMHO, Tampa would be a challenging place to be a LEO and you would get plenty of opportunity to "fight crime". Good luck in your eventual choice. I went through the same process almost 40 years ago, but never did sign on.
    I don't live in Tampa, I just put that down because I don't feel good about broadcasting my exact location on the interwebs. I'm actually about two hours away from Tampa. I know a guy who says he loved working for the Hillsborough County Sheriff, so it's in the running, but I thought they were pretty liberal down there?

I'm not a cop, but my advice would be, don't be picky, find any place willing to send you through the academy and give you your commission.

Then a few years down the road with some experience and seniority, you could start looking for your "ideal" department.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I think it makes more sense to choose a department or agency based on the way the chief's wind blows, rather than on which sidearm they issue or authorize. You're looking for enlightened leadership, not brand loyalty. You could end up working for a narrow-minded pinhead who happens to like Sigs, but still hate your job.
    SIXTO likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I think it makes more sense to choose a department or agency based on the way the chief's wind blows, rather than on which sidearm they issue or authorize. You're looking for enlightened leadership, not brand loyalty. You could end up working for a narrow-minded pinhead who happens to like Sigs, but still hate your job.
    +1
    Liking the job is way more important than being forced to use brand X of pistol.
    If you truly want to go into LE you'll do it for more important reasons that carrying a Sig. Carrying the gun is only a small part of the job anyway. No matter what brand of pistol you'll get, you will get or you will seek out enough training to be proficient with it (at least you should strive for that)
    SIXTO likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer
    not enough space for list, main gear: duty-G17, S&W 642 bug, 870, RRA AR-15; G30 off-duty
    Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Interesting delema.

My advice is that you take the job if it becomes available. Sheriff's come and go... You career will probably span the election of 5 or 6 sheriff's. While we probably share similar political points of view... Politics should have little or nothing to do with police work on the individual level. As police officers have no choice in who needs their services. If your going to allow your personal feelings effect the service you render and how you treat different people... Become a plumber.

As do most people you seem to have a misconception of what the police actually do. Most police work is mundane, and quite boring. You should probably be more concerned with the kind of pen you will use than the kind of firearm. Dont get me wrong... IN my world a cop must have confidence in his firearm. But then thats what second gun's are for. Besides with some discipline you can learn to shoot anything.

While enforcing laws is a primary and important function of the police it's not the only function. It's not like on TV. Most law enforcement is traffic, and local ordinances. Criminal law enforcement while sexy, and exciting... is also dangerous and unforgiving. And a lesser practical function of policing. Unless you plan to run around bullying people... Most of your time will be spent writing reports, responding to assistance calls from the public, and patroling the mean streets of mayberry.

I'd recomend taking the job until one more of your liking comes along... Who knows... you may like working Mayberry.

Spuk!
    SIXTO likes this.

Um, I'm not trying to be rude, but didn't you read the first part of my post? The reason I'm leaning away from my local department is because of the leadership. Leadership IS the most important thing to me, it would just also be nice if they issued Sigs cause I shoot those better than any other firearm I've tried.

And yes, I could learn to shoot another gun, but Sigs appeal to me, therefor I like to shoot them. If I was issued a Glock, for example, I wouldn't enjoy shooting it as much.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I am not in LE. But if I were you, I'd be looking at the Polk County SO. Grady Judd IS the best Sheriff in the state, bar none. Certainly not a liberal either.
    Just my $.02
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Could be wrong, but I thought the Navy SEALS carried SIG's primarily, among some other side arms? And in today's job market, get your foot in the door and move to a different department later.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    Could be wrong, but I thought the Navy SEALS carried SIG's primarily, among some other side arms? And in today's job market, get your foot in the door and move to a different department later.
    Yes, they do. I'm not going to be a SEAL. I know my limitations and something called Hell Week is not within them :P

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I'm not a cop, but my advice would be, don't be picky, find any place willing to send you through the academy and give you your commission.

Then a few years down the road with some experience and seniority, you could start looking for your "ideal" department.
    I'm a retired cop, and totally agree with Buckeye 45. Get hired, get trained, get some street creds and move on to bigger (but not necessarily better) things. The grass is not always greener over the fence.

A lousy sheriff or chief can make working conditions suck at times, but no matter where you go, the department head is only temporary. Stress and turmoil can happen in any department. It may not seem like it, but the type of duty pistol isn't that important, as long as you can train up on it.

Good luck in your career choice and thank you for making the effort to do the right thing.
    SIXTO and Secret Spuk like this.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    I'm a retired cop, and totally agree with Buckeye 45. Get hired, get trained, get some street creds and move on to bigger (but not necessarily better) things. The grass is not always greener over the fence.

A lousy sheriff or chief can make working conditions suck at times, but no matter where you go, the department head is only temporary. Stress and turmoil can happen in any department. It may not seem like it, but the type of duty pistol isn't that important, as long as you can train up on it.

Good luck in your career choice and thank you for making the effort to do the right thing.
    Thank you.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    +1
    Liking the job is way more important than being forced to use brand X of pistol.
    If you truly want to go into LE you'll do it for more important reasons that carrying a Sig. Carrying the gun is only a small part of the job anyway. No matter what brand of pistol you'll get, you will get or you will seek out enough training to be proficient with it (at least you should strive for that)
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Interesting delema.

My advice is that you take the job if it becomes available. Sheriff's come and go... You career will probably span the election of 5 or 6 sheriff's. While we probably share similar political points of view... Politics should have little or nothing to do with police work on the individual level. As police officers have no choice in who needs their services. If your going to allow your personal feelings effect the service you render and how you treat different people... Become a plumber.

As do most people you seem to have a misconception of what the police actually do. Most police work is mundane, and quite boring. You should probably be more concerned with the kind of pen you will use than the kind of firearm. Dont get me wrong... IN my world a cop must have confidence in his firearm. But then thats what second gun's are for. Besides with some discipline you can learn to shoot anything.

While enforcing laws is a primary and important function of the police it's not the only function. It's not like on TV. Most law enforcement is traffic, and local ordinances. Criminal law enforcement while sexy, and exciting... is also dangerous and unforgiving. And a lesser practical function of policing. Unless you plan to run around bullying people... Most of your time will be spent writing reports, responding to assistance calls from the public, and patroling the mean streets of mayberry.

I'd recomend taking the job until one more of your liking comes along... Who knows... you may like working Mayberry.

Spuk!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post

All these are grade A, solid advice that is worth repeating. Get your foot in the door just about anywhere that will give you a shot. Build a name and reputation, then you'll have a much easier time going where you want.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links