My life plans...

My life plans...

This is a discussion on My life plans... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wanted to share my life plans and see if anyone could give me any advice or suggestions on maybe a better route or plan. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jwhite75
  • 2 Post By Old School

Thread: My life plans...

My life plans...

I wanted to share my life plans and see if anyone could give me any advice or suggestions on maybe a better route or plan. I have it pretty figured out but I am always open to suggestions and tips. So I am in the military right now, 19D cavalry scout. I am about halfway to my bachelors degree at University of Phoenix. When I ETS in 2014 I plan on re-classing to MI and be in the reserves or National Guard. Now by that time I should have my bachelors degree. Then I plan on getting my Masters Degree as well, then applying with DEA, FBI, and U.S. Marshalls. I want to make Federal law enforcement a career, am I on the right path? Thanks in advance for the help, I know there are so many people on this forum with so many different backgrounds, any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Operation Enduring Freedom Veteran

Sounds like you know what you want to do thats the biggest battle of all. looks like your on the right track remember the moreyou know the more valuable you are at everything. If your not learning your not paying attention.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Don't forget to check out the Secret Service. They offer good career options too.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Overall yes, you are on the right track. Make sure your credit is good, and try to minor in something "different", or at least take classes in it. Something like a language, or specialized computer skills, etc. They generally wont care about any gun experience or hobby you have. In the FBI, they love computer, accounting and law degrees. The Marshals will hire anybody with about any background, and have a great career intern program where if you intern with them and meet all of the prerequisites you are offered a job. Google DUSM Derek Hotsinpiller. He was killed on duty this year and was one of the first hires in WV from the program.

Also be known that for employee satisfaction the US Marshals and BATFE are at the top of the list for federal agencies.
    DefConGun likes this.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I have taken the hard road.

The road YOU have described also sounds hard.

If I were you, and if I could choose to do it over again, I would do a one-eighty.

Plan one good Brinks truck heist, say down around the border of Mexico somewhere, slip across the border, and melt into the landscape forever.

^^^^^^^^^JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sounds as though you should be giving others direction and insight for their future.

I say go for it, if a carrer in Law enforcement at the Government level intrigues you, follow that star.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Hey man, I wish I knew enough about the field to help you out with specifics but I can give you some advice that I wish someone had given me at an earlier age when I was trying to plan things out for my life.

First off, kudos to you for asking this and hopefully one/some of the knowledgable mature people on this forum can provide you with specifics. You don't know what you don't know and if someone has already been at where you're wanting to go can give you a heads up, then you're that much more ahead of the game.

Next, may I suggest if you haven't already done so, get a mentor that is in the field and already on the path that you are seeking. Information/knowledge is power but knowing the right people can be a way of opening the gates that you need to go through to get on the path that you want to travel. I'm not suggesting for you to use people (and I don't think you would) but I am saying for you to put time and resources into networking. This is not kissing butt. This is being smart and utilizing interpersonal communications as a tool the same as you would use your rifle, tac light and survival pack out in the field. At some point and level, most things work out to have a human component involved in the mix and having productive relationships can differentiate you from the guy that is striving for the same thing you are but happens to be missing the human element that you have utilized.

Schooling is expensive no matter what path you decide to pursue. You may want to find people in the field you are interested in pursuing and inquiring as to what school they attended as well as the major or field of concentration they pursued when they were in school. School counselors, in my experience, have been useless in planning out a career path and helping you devise an academic path to help you accordingly. Like I said, this has been my experience and your mileage may vary.

You may also want to research trends in the field of concentration you want to pursue and plan in accordance. Are there any predictions for an upcoming need that is going to be in a great demand in the future? If so, you may have found a path to pursue that will differentiate you as well.

As with any discipline you pursue, there are going to be a number of candidates that are pursuing it the same as you are, etc. My advice is for you to find a way to differentiate yourself from the field of many candidates that are trying their best to beat you out of your job.

I hope this may prove to be useful for you.

God bless,
    DCG

Cool

Learn a language. Be able to read and write it.

Spanish is a good start.

Chinese would be excellent.

You sound like you know what you want and are will to do what needs to be done to achieve your goal.

Thank you for serving your country.

DefConGun and jwhite75 like this.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Any of the asian or middle eastern languages would be perfect. Lots of other candidates know spanish.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Wow, wonderful...my son graduates High School this year...his plans are similar to yours and I hope he does as well as you have already.
    Definitely take up the language, my brother has used his mid eastern languages quite extensively these last 20 years. I wish you the best!
    S&W 640-3

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    Don't forget to check out the Secret Service. They offer good career options too.
    I was thinking of looking into that as well, thank you for your suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Overall yes, you are on the right track. Make sure your credit is good, and try to minor in something "different", or at least take classes in it. Something like a language, or specialized computer skills, etc. They generally wont care about any gun experience or hobby you have. In the FBI, they love computer, accounting and law degrees. The Marshals will hire anybody with about any background, and have a great career intern program where if you intern with them and meet all of the prerequisites you are offered a job. Google DUSM Derek Hotsinpiller. He was killed on duty this year and was one of the first hires in WV from the program.

Also be known that for employee satisfaction the US Marshals and BATFE are at the top of the list for federal agencies.
    I think Marshalls and DEA are on the top of my list. I looked up DUSM Hotsinpiller, very tragic story. It sounded like he had a promising career ahead of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Learn a language. Be able to read and write it.

Spanish is a good start.

Chinese would be excellent.

You sound like you know what you want and are will to do what needs to be done to achieve your goal.

Thank you for serving your country.

Thanks Old School, I want to learn Spanish, I took 2 years in high school and I would like to take more.

Quote Originally Posted by 640girl View Post
    Wow, wonderful...my son graduates High School this year...his plans are similar to yours and I hope he does as well as you have already.
    Definitely take up the language, my brother has used his mid eastern languages quite extensively these last 20 years. I wish you the best!
    Thanks 640girl, good luck to your son as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jwhite75 View Post
    Any of the asian or middle eastern languages would be perfect. Lots of other candidates know spanish.
    When I reclass to MI in a few years and get into the Guard I can try to get a language with it, that would definitely help set me apart having a middle eastern or asian language

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I wanted to share my life plans and see if anyone could give me any advice or suggestions on maybe a better route or plan. I have it pretty figured out but I am always open to suggestions and tips. So I am in the military right now, 19D cavalry scout. I am about halfway to my bachelors degree at University of Phoenix. When I ETS in 2014 I plan on re-classing to MI and be in the reserves or National Guard. Now by that time I should have my bachelors degree. Then I plan on getting my Masters Degree as well, then applying with DEA, FBI, and U.S. Marshalls. I want to make Federal law enforcement a career, am I on the right path? Thanks in advance for the help, I know there are so many people on this forum with so many different backgrounds, any advice is greatly appreciated.
    Sounds like you HAVE a plan, Spencer. That in itself is unusual for most young people. My plan at my age is to wake up tomorrow morning! Good luck.

Sponsored Links