campaign hats/covers

This is a discussion on campaign hats/covers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; boss just told me i need a brown campaign hat, straw and wool for special occasions, i also need gold acorns, a hatband and a ...

Thread: campaign hats/covers

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

campaign hats/covers

boss just told me i need a brown campaign hat, straw and wool for special occasions, i also need gold acorns, a hatband and a rain cover, anyone got any good deals on one or know of a place I can go in Indiana or online to order one for around 100 bucks. Going to get wool for now since its almost winter season, but will need a straw one come spring
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Make sure you get (or make) the press-like device to store the hat in when you're not wearing it. As a young Scout leader I wore a wool felt campaign hat for years, even overseas, and once the brim got more than a few drops of rain on it it wanted to start curling. OK for Scouting, not so hot for a professional appearance.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Forgive me for the distraction, but this reminded me of the 'skimmer' that my uncle wears, who's been a plain clothes cop most of his life.

He's a little guy with a think southern drawl, and one of the most intimidating men I've ever met.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled campaign hat recommendations...

Distinguished Member
    Even if you know the size of your head, you may want to find a local uniform store so you can try them on. They aren't supposed to fit like a baseball hat so you might actually want a different size. And I have both felt and straw (not campaign but stetson/rider crease) and even being the same size they fit differently with the felt fitting a little looser probably because it has more stretch than the straw.

Also with the felt you will get hot if you are standing outside for a while with it on, the straw at least has a little more breathability and will tolerate rain better w/o a cover. I won't wear my felt until I'm forced to (when long sleeves are mandated). If you only need it for special occasions you can probably get away with just the felt for now since you won't have to wear it all the time.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Administrator
    Yes, do not order online. Buy them in person, each one is a little different. I may or may not have worn one for several rotations in a previous life.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    As mentioned earlier Stratton makes them and has a website. For on line sale of law enforcement gear and uniforms check out Gall's. They are very reasonable (price wise) and very quick to deliver (average time is less than 5 days usually less than 3 days). Their website is Police Gear | Police Equipment | Tactical Gear | 5.11 Tactical | Bates Boots | Streamlight | Safariland | Galls. They are fantastic people and have a great return policy. If you are not satisfied for any reason they will refund, replace, exchange, give store credit for any item that was not customized or altered. I have ordered from them for more than 25 years and have had no problems with them at all.

Links