Run in with one of Rock Hill PDs Narcotics Teams.

This is a discussion on Run in with one of Rock Hill PDs Narcotics Teams. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; First time today meeting any members of the Narcotics Team. Unfortunately, they were searching my car. I was just sitting in an empty parking lot ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Run in with one of Rock Hill PDs Narcotics Teams.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen

First time today meeting any members of the Narcotics Team. Unfortunately, they were searching my car.

I was just sitting in an empty parking lot during my lunch break- I had finished eating and was just putting my book away to return to work when a new Tahoe rolls up. FAST. It stops, and my first thought is 'oh crap, do I need to draw". LUCKILY, I decided that it was most likely LEO and not some PO'd dealer or something. Three people get out, older man driving (I say older, maybe 40s?- give me a break, I'm 23), another guy from the passenger side rear door, somewhere in his 20s, and a woman from the front passenger door, also 20s. First thing I see is the woman; I see a Glock in a holster- this is when I go, oh, LEOs- THEN the badge clipped to her belt.

She walks up to my passenger window, which is down, and I hold my hands up where they can be seen clearly and announce 'I have to tell you; I am a CWP holder, and I have IT with me; it is in my left front pocket and my ID is in my right rear pocket'. She gives me a kind of blank look- the other guys are circling my car, older guy around behind to driver side, younger guy around the front- 'where is the gun?' At this point I mentally wince- 'gun'? why would you say gun? this is not the time to use that word- we DON'T use that word in this scenario. I tell her again, it's in my left front pocket.

The older guy opened my car door, gently grabs my left wrist, and tells me to get out of the car, and just keep my hands visible. I, of course, comply eagerly. Once I'm out of the car, he removes the gun from my pocket, and hands it over to the woman who goes over to the Tahoe and calls in the serial number. (It came back clean, of course) The older guy asks if he can search me, and the car. I kind of shrug and tell them I'm not hiding anything; and to go for it.

I hand over my ID, and the older guy calls my DL# in, got nothing, and gave it back. The other two search my car; not under the hatch though, for some reason. Confused me a little. But, they did compliment my .357. Said it was a good looking gun, and asked a few other questions about it.

They thanked me for my cooperation, and sent me on my way. Made me late getting back to work by 10 minutes, but I wasn't too upset over it.

So, all in all, it was my first encounter with LEOs after I started carrying, and it was a good encounter overall. I will just be parking for lunch in a different lot from now on though. Knowing that they won't likely see this, I would like to express my thanks to the LEOs out there that DON'T make it difficult for CWP holders.
    cuckoo429 likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    So what was the probable cause in searching you and your vehicle?
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I don't know if I'd be willing to consent to the search

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    So what was the probable cause in searching you and your vehicle?
    None. They only need reasonable suspicion, but none of that matters now as they gained permission.
    jwhite75 and MinistrMalic like this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sounds like it went okay. What was your .357?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That was it- I was in an abandoned parking lot, just sitting. Just wrong place, wrong time. I didn't mind- I had nothing to hide. It wasn't a HUGE inconvenience and they were nice.
    -----------------------------------
    Sorry for putting this in the wrong forum- I overlooked/forgot about it.
    cuckoo429 likes this.

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Moderator
    Never EVER give permission to a cop to search your vehicle...NEVER.

Do not do it. If they need to, make them get a warrant. Of course, if you give permission, they dont need anything.

Never give permission to a cop. Ever.

Did I make myself clear?

If you dont know your rights, you basically have none.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

OK, probably the Dumb Question O' the Day here, but - would the OP have been out of line asking why they stopped him? Or is it more out of line to expect them to give a direct, truthful answer?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    OK, probably the Dumb Question O' the Day here, but - would the OP have been out of line asking why they stopped him? Or is it more out of line to expect them to give a direct, truthful answer?
    the only thing the op is required to do in SC is inform that he is carrying which he did, beyond that I would deny permission to search and keep my mouth shut.

.357 is an Eaa Windicator, 2"bbl.
    -----------------
    I was just in a parking lot that 'people use for dealing/using various drugs'. And, it just happened that I was taking my lunch break there, because it's quiet and away from work. I know I could have denied it, but I had done nothing other than be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I didn't have anything illegal in the car, or on me. And, it would have made them a little suspicious saying 'no, you can't search my car without a permit'; not to mention that I didn't want to deal with siting there, waiting while they GET one however it is they would have. It would have just been too much headache, and made me out to be a total pain.

Standing at the pulpit and shouting "Don't let them search!" and yet it appears that all ended well.

Strange how that happens.

Senior Moderator
    And, it would have made them a little suspicious saying 'no, you can't search my car without a permit'; not to mention that I didn't want to deal with siting there, waiting while they GET one however it is they would have.
    Wrong. THey would have just moved on. They were "surfing". Nothing more. They could not get a Judge to sign a warrant without some other circumstances.

It would have just been too much headache, and made me out to be a total pain
    Thats is exactly what they want you to think...so you"ll say "yes" go ahead and search my stuff, I have nothing to hide.

Learn what your rights are...because if you dont, you wont know when they are being abused and you are being taken advantage of. You are young... so learn and get it right.
    MikeNice and DefConGun like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by RevolvingMag View Post
    .357 is an Eaa Windicator, 2"bbl.
    -----------------
    I was just in a parking lot that 'people use for dealing/using various drugs'. And, it just happened that I was taking my lunch break there, because it's quiet and away from work. I know I could have denied it, but I had done nothing other than be in the wrong place at the wrong time. I didn't have anything illegal in the car, or on me. And, it would have made them a little suspicious saying 'no, you can't search my car without a permit'; not to mention that I didn't want to deal with siting there, waiting while they GET one however it is they would have. It would have just been too much headache, and made me out to be a total pain.
    the only issue here is that you allowed your rights to be trampled, your sitting in a car alone does not create any probable cause for a search, maybe if they observed someone joining you and then exiting quickly then they can claim it is a drug area and they suspect you were involved in a drug dealing. Since you say that isn't the case I think the cops were over zealous and egregiously violated your rights.
    IMHO it is too bad that you're ok with that.

So you're just sitting in a parking lot minding your own business and they roll up on ya wanting to search your car...there's no way I'm consenting. I'd inform and then ask them if I am being detained. If so, for what. If not, I'd ask them if I was free to go. If they're going to waste my time when I was minding my own business, then I'm going to waste theirs making them get a warrant to search when I know there's absolutely nothing of interest in my truck.

I did consent to a search of my cooler last Saturday by a kid that worked for the boat rental company at the lake. They had signs up that said no alcohol and I had read that on their website. When he asked me if he could take a look in my cooler I said, "knock yourself out, chief. nothing but diet sprite and juice boxes for the kids. at our age with little kids on a boat, I don't need any additional challenges." He never saw my PT845 IWB in shorts and a t-shirt. That thing carries easy for such a large firearm.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    the only issue here is that you allowed your rights to be trampled, your sitting in a car alone does not create any probable cause for a search, maybe if they observed someone joining you and then exiting quickly then they can claim it is a drug area and they suspect you were involved in a drug dealing. Since you say that isn't the case I think the cops were over zealous and egregiously violated your rights.
    IMHO it is too bad that you're ok with that.
    I promise that I will keep that in mind next time, and deny them the right to search me/my car. If they had been rude about it, or if they had done something that rubbed me the wrong way, I probably would have. I didn't have anything I shouldn't, I didn't do anything I shouldn't. And, if it makes them feel better about themselves, have at. It also wasted their time; instead of actually stopping speeders, or people driving unsafely, they searched the car of a person who follows the law, and has no record whatsoever of breaking it in a significant way. If they want to waste time searching the car of a CWP holder, instead of the guys whose cars are all wheels and stereos and smell like pot, let them- I am willing to prove that I have nothing to hide. I don't really like having to do it, but I've been more inconvenienced for worse reasons.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links