Army looking at getting rid of M9 - Page 2

Army looking at getting rid of M9

This is a discussion on Army looking at getting rid of M9 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike I never actually carried one while I was in the Navy. We did qualify with them right before I got out ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Army looking at getting rid of M9

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    I never actually carried one while I was in the Navy. We did qualify with them right before I got out but I never actually carried one. It worked OK for me. Seemed accurate enough (at least as accurate as the beat up old 1911's we actually did carry).
    Same here while in the Coast Guard.

We pitched a fit when they took away our .45's, and here we are over 25 years later and it's still in service and killing bad guys.

However, I'll still say that 9mm looses its allure in FMJ. I'll bet most would like to see the .45 back again.

It's deja vu all over again...but this time, we're broke.

I predict our next service sidearm will be made in China - because they OWN our sorry behinds.

Believe it when I see it.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yesterday at the gun range,as I set up there were 2 guys set up just down the bench from me,one guy had a Beretta 92? full size 9mm,he started shooting and had several fte ftf right away,I heard his buddy say something and the guy responded it's a new pistol maybe it just needs broken in.I said excuse me but did you do anything like field strip clean/lube the pistol,Answer was no.
    I get my cleaning box outta the Jeep and strip and lube his gun,reassemble and next mag ran like a champ,after several minutes they offered me a cold bottle of tea.I just love helping people with firearms and seems like I make new friends every week
    WHEC724, Guantes and baren like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I'm just glad my service time was spent with the 1911. The grip on the M9 Beretta couldn't possibly fit my hand any worse. I would hate to have been stuck with it.

Other than that, I have nothing against the model. I've heard more good things about it than bad.
    Yeah me too! The transition was slower in my division due to higher priority units, plus the division commander preferred the 1911. By the time they were issued I was flying a desk at USAREUR HQ and didn't much give a rats...
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I think the M9 is a perfectly good combat pistol. It is very accurate and rugged. The problem I've seen throughout my years in the military is that the end user does not take care of them at all. I don't know how many times I've see an M9 that was not take care of and have all sorts of problems. The second problem is that the armours who are tasked with making sure they operate correctly don't. Most of the time the armour is an E-4 or below who is either tasked to the hilt with something else or is lazy and isn't utilizing the time they have to work on the weapons. I think the M9 is a good weapon and given a fuctional one I would have no problem maintaining it and carrying one into combat. However I don't like the fit of the grip at all, and I do hope the Army switches to something else. If and when we get a new pistol will be anybodies guess.

With the huge push in the last 5 years or so to lighten soldiers, the pistol will likely be one of the polymer ones.
    baren likes this.

Didn't the Army just purchase an additional quantity? I'm thinking about maybe 25,000.... I just can't imagine them being replaced so soon. The 1911s weren't purchased after WW2 and weren't replace until the '80s.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

VIP Member
    That fact is, there are better pistols out there and better calibers with regards to military bullet restrictions. I honestly don't have issue with 9mm, but FMJ is where is breaks down and is not as effective. The M9 is a good pistol that has proven reliable, but the issue is the weight if you ask me.

I would love to see the contract go to S&W M&P, you get reliability, light weight, and many options all in a made in the USA package. Call me a homer, but all things being equal I have to give it to a US company that keeps my fellow brothers and sisters working.

It's a fine pistol that has earned my respect and utmost trust.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

RKM
    I like the Beretta. It's a nice pistol. Though, I think a Sig, Glock or Hk would make a better service pistol.

A_D
    M&P all day. U.S. soldiers should carry U.S. guns. The M&P is a phenomenal pistol! It's a proven system. Although, they mentioned Springfield at the end of the article... It would be nice to see the XDm get a service contact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Android using Tapatalk
    "The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."

-Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by A_D View Post
    M&P all day. U.S. soldiers should carry U.S. guns. The M&P is a phenomenal pistol! It's a proven system. Although, they mentioned Springfield at the end of the article... It would be nice to see the XDm get a service contact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Android using Tapatalk

Thats a great idea...in theory. The M&P just has not proven itself. The Beretta is technically an Italian gun, with a plant in Maryland just like an XD is a Croatian gun, but Springfield has offices in Illinois.

Truth of the matter is that Glock like an AK is used more world wide and has the reputation of reliability over anything else. That simply makes the most sense everything considered.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

With regards to the ammo, didn't I read somewhere that .mil was testing the EFMJ as a prospective replacement round.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    With regards to the ammo, didn't I read somewhere that .mil was testing the EFMJ as a prospective replacement round.
    I read that too. It was dubbed the FMJ-LP (Limited Penetration). Darn if I can find any more real info on it.

What I DO know is that it is impossible to find the 124 gr 9mm +P EFMJ round anymore. Hmmmmm.........
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

twc
    M9...get rid of it for a more user friendly platform. Its too big, too heavy, too much levers and crap on it. Military needs a one size fits all, stupid simple, lightweight reliable AMERICAN made pistol. S&W M&P with an external safety is the perfect choice.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I agree that the M&P would be a pretty logical sidearm for the military. Looking at the articles about it and seeing what weapons that the Army is looking at I see the M&P getting the call. First they are looking for something that is reliable which I think the M&P is; however as it is a new design it is just cutting its teeth with LEOs. Also a soldier in the desert of Afghanistan is going to tear up a gun a lot more than a LEOs will doing his day to day duties. Time will tell during the testing phase if the M&P can handle that task. Second it's going to need to be light and a polymer frame pistol is going to fit that a whole lot better. Third is his going to need to fit a wide range of soldiers hands. I have smaller hands and the M9 is just two big. With the interchangeable back straps of the M&P that will make it possible to adapt the weapon to a wide range of shooters. Forth it's going to need an external safety, I don't see Army big wigs getting around that one and selecting a Glock.

As for caliber I see the Army sticking with the NATO standard 9mm. I would love them to go back to a 230 grain .45 but in such a light weight package as the M&P is I don't see that happening. Some soldiers will likely not want to shoot a .45 due to the recoil.

I think the M9 is a perfectly good combat pistol for some shooters "due to the size". However with the new technology and materials that pistols are being made of it is time for a change.

This is just my analysis on the situation, the Army has not asked this NCO as to what my preference would be and I don't think they ever will.

Well, since the military is not allowed to hurt anyone, maybe a change is due.
    Those M-9's could draw blood.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links