Army looking at getting rid of M9

This is a discussion on Army looking at getting rid of M9 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Good riddance to troubled M9 pistol - Army Community - Army Discussions - Army Times...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Army looking at getting rid of M9

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Believe it when I see it. And, in my experience, that article is rubbish. The M9 is not the ideal combat sidearm, certainly, but it is accurate, and I have seen HUNDREDS function just fine. My (based on long experience) guess is that the folks complaining the most didn't like the pistol before they ever saw one, and just project all their pre-decided faults onto the platform without ever giving it a proper chance. I (almost) hate to say it, but there are a good number of folks who will never be happy with the "perfect" 9mm - they'd much rather have a deeply flawed (in any platform) pistol in a "real man's" caliber... As has often been said (and might need to be added to the Annoying Phrases thread, if it isn't already there) - you can't fix stupid. And prejudice based on heresay and gunshop lore that is never tested in the real world is just stupid.

(All that said, I'd have rather carried a Glock 17/19 or Sig P226/8/9 while I was "over there" with .mil. Not that the M9 is the worst pistol for the job, it just isn't the best).
    wmhawth, Bark'n, TN_Mike and 3 others like this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I agree, most of the people want a bigger caliber. They feel like 9mm is a sissy round. The M9 is an accurate sidearm, we will see how this one plays out.

Administrator
    I'm pretty sure this rumor has been swirling since the 80's. But, I do like the fact that the article states it will be an "off the shelf" model.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Again?

One of the reasons many people jumped on the "hate the M9 bandwagon" early on is that it is a fact of human nature that no one likes a change but a wet baby. As soon as the change was announced, people jumped on it. It certainly didn't help that it was not a US company. Yea, I know, they opened a plant here, but that wasn't the same to the anti M9 crowd.

"I have never seen one work correctly"
    I guess they would have got rid of them long ago, IF that statement were true ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I don't really have a dog in this fight, so I don't care.....but I've read, and told first hand by several guys that have been in the thick of it, that the "operators" that can carry pretty much whatever they want, generally carry something else, and it usually is in a caliber that starts with a "4". With Sigs and 1911s being pretty popular. For whatever it is worth.

I hope the sell the M9s surplus because I want one or two or five.

Can't wait; they will probably go with a Glock 17-19 -26 to please everybody but the 9mm haters.

And when they are sold surplus, I want about 5 of each model.
    baren likes this.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Same here. I heard first-hand, read sitreps, and tolerated the complaining from those who just don't like 'em.
    More than a few back from the box said "no more" WRT M9. With the NATO ball round it didn't 'do enough'. Now, the M9 is plenty accurate enough and it'll kill any enemy as dead as any other caliber. But the one's who HAD to rely on get my trust on this.

When I joined up we were stilled issued the M1911. I Loved that sidearm! Still do, but me thinks a change will be a good thing.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I'm just glad my service time was spent with the 1911. The grip on the M9 Beretta couldn't possibly fit my hand any worse. I would hate to have been stuck with it.

Other than that, I have nothing against the model. I've heard more good things about it than bad.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I never actually carried one while I was in the Navy. We did qualify with them right before I got out but I never actually carried one. It worked OK for me. Seemed accurate enough (at least as accurate as the beat up old 1911's we actually did carry).
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

From my experience as a small arms instructor, Coach, and PMI, I would bet it had more to do with the shooter than the 9mm. The same complaint was made about the 45 during the Korean war while engaging china men dressed in heavy winter clothes.

But, I would like to see them bring back the 45 acp and quit pacifying all the NATO countries.

But for what it's worth, " operators" don't just get to choose what they want as some may think.
    Tyler11B likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

That's why I was blessed when my team was allowed to carry the sidearm of our choice,all but 2 chose a G21,although we all carried .45's,and yes,when applied correctly to the affected area,the .45 works wonders.
    baren likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links