Is it possible to obtain a concealed carry permit with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

This is a discussion on Is it possible to obtain a concealed carry permit with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, I'm a veteran of OIF II and am 50% service connected for PTSD. I mainly suffer from nightmares and had no idea that going ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By mlr1m

Thread: Is it possible to obtain a concealed carry permit with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Is it possible to obtain a concealed carry permit with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Hello, I'm a veteran of OIF II and am 50% service connected for PTSD. I mainly suffer from nightmares and had no idea that going to the VA for help would label me. I just took my concealed carry class and applied for my permit. When I signed the form to release my medical records from the VA I soon began to worry that I may be disqualified because of my rating. My condition has gotten much better over the last couple years and I would say I'm pretty much 100% besides the occasional nightmare. Does anyone know If I will more than likely be turned down for my permit? I've never been hospitalized or committed. I just went to the VA several times when I got back home.

2. Remove Ads

It will depend on your state,Al,has no predjudice on vets with PTSD,no matter the level,I collect my 20% every month,but your info will be kept in the Gov's super-computer.

Like has been said above it can vary from state to state. If that is the only skeleton in your closet you can be my wing man anytime. Heck, you can lead.

My only good advice is to be as open and honest as possible. If you try to hide information and they find it, well lets just say it doesn't shed a good light on what is found.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

VIP Member
    Probably yes you can. Just read the questions carefully so you don't mistakenly perjure yourself. In general if you have not been INVOLUNTARILY hospitalized and you are not dependent on and abusing controlled substances, you should be set to go.

I think the key for you is your statement that you have never been hospitalized. If they disqualified anyone with nightmares no one would qualify.
    Last edited by Hopyard; August 29th, 2011 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Corrected "probably not" to "yes..."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I teach the class in NC and I've seen different results from different sheriffs offices. You should be good to go but if you encounter any problems you do have a course of appeal.

I think you should be fine but document everything.

EXCEPT/ON to 1I. J. NICS Improvement Amendments Act of2007: A person
    who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or committed to a mental
    institution is not prohibited if:
    (I) the person was adjudicated or committed bv a
    department or agency of the Federal Government. such as the Unitcd Stat~s Department of Veteran's Affairs ("VA")
    (as opposed to a State court, State board,
    or other lawful State authority); illlil (2) either: (a) the person's adjudication or
    commitment for mental incompetency was set-aside or expunged by the
    adjudicating/committing agency; (h) the person has been fullv rcleased or
    discharged from all mandatory treatment, supervision, or mo~itoring by the
    agency; or (e) the person was found by the agency to no longer suffer from the
    mental health condition that served as the basis of the initial adjudication.
    Persons who fit this exception should answer "no" to Item l1.f. This
    exception docs not apply to any person who was adjudicated to be not guilty by
    reason of insanity, or based on lack of mental responsibility, or found incompetent
    to sland trial, in any criminal case or under the Unifol!ll Code of Military
    Justice.
    That provision was put in to protect veterans. There was a huge uproar a while back about the VA's efforts to identify all service members with disorders. People were afraid this was an effort to strip them of their rights to own weapons.

Michael
    oc24oc, Bark'n and Hopyard like this.

Thanks everyone, I got a little nervous after spending $250 to get my permit. I would hope they wouldn't deny veterans on the basis of voluntarily getting help. This would cause more veterans to hide their issues and never get help.

I got a friend I ride with that is 100% due to gunfire and has some PTSD and he has a CHL,I don't know too many people that could have served in the environment I have seen on film that wouldn't have some.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thank you for your service!
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

PTSD can be had from ANY traumatic event, including slipping on a banana peel and ripping your ear off when you hit the ground. Yeah, that's pretty traumatic. So is rape, a major auto accident, explosion, etc. PTSD can be a profound SADNESS caused by Survivor's Guilt at having lost so many friends in combat and perhaps being the only one of your small group to survive.

What PTSD is NOT, is an indication that a person is a crazed lunatic out to do harm to others. It can go undetected for a lifetime before it rears it's ugly head. It may also show itself shortly after the event. There is no hard and fast indicator as to when it may happen. One of the counselors I know is a Psychologist of no small reputation. He is also a shooter, competitor and former combat officer who himself suffers from PTSD.

I think the prime determining factor in most states is if a person has been adjudicated as a danger to themselves and others and institutionalized. Am I correct on that??

Many of us still live normal everyday lives, despite the trauma we have experienced.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

VIP Member
    One of the members of our coin club is currently on meds courtesy of a stint in RVN and still lives with PTSD yet he had no problems with obtaining a CCW.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by oc24oc View Post
    Thanks everyone, I got a little nervous after spending $250 to get my permit. I would hope they wouldn't deny veterans on the basis of voluntarily getting help. This would cause more veterans to hide their issues and never get help.
    I definitely understand your concerns. Like others have posted, and in light of the NICS Improvement Amendments Act of2007 as outlined in post #6, I would say you have very little to worry about.

However, if for some reason you are denied... Be sure and appeal it! Exercise your rights and appeal. You really should not be denied based on the condition you outlined in your post.

Thanks for your service buddy! I'm glad you are doing better!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I was diagnosed with PTSD following a law enforcement operation many years ago and like you, over time got "better," although it never goes away completely. I returned to the Pshrink who diagnosed me, and got a clean bill of health and certified "Fit to return to duty."

It may be worth your while and $ to make an appointment for an updated non-VA diagnosis.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

As long as you were never committed, declared not mentally competent, or not considered a danger to yourself or others (how many times did your docs ask "Do you ever feel like hurting yourself or others?" I bet every time you saw them), you should be fine. If you voluntarily sought outpatient treatment, it should not be an issue.

That being said, I am not a doctor, or a lawyer, or a CHL issuing authority.

Thanks for your service, I got to OIF and OEF later, and appreciate you doing your job early on, to help pave the road for me and my boys.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Crossing my fingers for you man. Thank you for your service and good luck!
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Links