Negligent Firearms Discharge....

This is a discussion on Negligent Firearms Discharge.... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ChrisMia As I understand it, "accidental discharge" is when a legitimate flaw/defect in the firearm causes it to fire (as a crazy ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Negligent Firearms Discharge....

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    As I understand it, "accidental discharge" is when a legitimate flaw/defect in the firearm causes it to fire (as a crazy hypothetical, you rack the slide and the gun goes off even though your finger wasn't even near the trigger)

On the other hand, a "negligent discharge" is when the user causes the discharge "not on purpose" - usually because of not being careful enough. Some may say it's splitting hairs or a distinction without a difference, but I see it (typical lawyer mind, right? )

The same can be said of your car and ladder accidents - they either got hurt because the brakes went out on the car or the ladder step gave way (i.e. an accident as it relates to their actions), or because they ran the stop light or leaned out too far from the ladder (i.e. they weren't being careful enough).

And claude, I wouldn't pin it on liberal semantics - it's really much broader than that. What it boils down to is a passive way to say that something went wrong without accepting responsibility for it, and that's something that crosses party/ideological lines all day long. Lord knows we heard the phrase "mistakes were made" coming out of Washington during the W. years. It's an all-too instinctive human reaction to want to accept responsibility for positive things and shrink from it for negative ones.
    Well said my friend. You hit the nail square on the head with one sentence.
    It seems nobody wants to accept responsibility for being responsible anymore.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Surely they are investigating the malfunction? I am curious to know what malfunction they find in the hardware that created this accident.
    If were actually a equipment malfunction would not the manufacturer be involved in the investigation?

Michael
    Hope this helps...

Sheriff John Gruzinskas said one of the deputies was supposed to qualify with his gun this morning, so last night he was cleaning it, when a spring broke.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Hope this helps...

Sheriff John Gruzinskas said one of the deputies was supposed to qualify with his gun this morning, so last night he was cleaning it, when a spring broke.
    that comment should have generated the question what kind of a fool cleans a loaded weapon?
    then you have to think what kind of a jerk makes a comment like that to defend the fool?

Sounds like a couple of deputies need to be retrained in safe gun handling.

What a pair of maroons...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    The two were working on the gun-- a .45-caliber glock semi-automatic, when the gun accidentally fired.

How is it the gun's fault?
    ...or an accident??
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Does anyone have a reputable source that documents a Glock firing without the trigger being pulled after 1992? The only post 1992 example I ever heard of was a "cook-off" in a Glock 18 that occurred when some fellow was trying to see how many rounds he could fire back-to-back on full auto without a stoppage or malfunction.

I've never heard of a post 1992 slam-fire with a Glock.

And yes, I think negligent is the right word here.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    As I understand it, "accidental discharge" is when a legitimate flaw/defect in the firearm causes it to fire (as a crazy hypothetical, you rack the slide and the gun goes off even though your finger wasn't even near the trigger)
    I have seen this happen once with a very cheap neglected firearm. HOWEVER as the 3/4 RULES were being followed it was a what the heck moment and not a OMG Call 911.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by babarock View Post
    I have seen this happen once with a very cheap neglected firearm. HOWEVER as the 3/4 RULES were being followed it was a what the heck moment and not a OMG Call 911.
    I get the impression from many of the replies that blaming the person who was handling the weapon is the end of the problem.
    If as claimed this was caused by defective equipment we should not fall into the trap of insisting all the responsibility for safety rests solely on the persons handling the firearm. To do that leaves still leaves us with a defective and dangerous firearm and possibly more if it is a design defect.

I believe the firearm maker should look into this. If it is a defect in the weapons design do we really want possibly thousands more of them waiting to fail under the wrong conditions?

If on the other hand the people involved are lying the manufacture of the weapon should go after them to recoup all costs involved with their investigation.

Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links