Portable radios

This is a discussion on Portable radios within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This question is really for those who get dressed at home, but I welcome all input. Are you issued your own, or have you purchased ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portable radios

Distinguished Member

Portable radios

This question is really for those who get dressed at home, but I welcome all input.

Are you issued your own, or have you purchased your own radio?

We pick up a radio at the start of our shift and turn it in at the end, but we drive to/from HQ in uniform w/o a radio. I do have the direct line to dispatch in my cell phone but I had a potential situation the other night driving home where a cell phone call may not have been quick or easy to do. It turned out to be nothing, but did cause me to consider investing in my own radio. I have always been surprised that they didn't give us our own radio for safety, just in case. Some of our guys have gone out and bought their own for the same reason.

So what do the experienced veterans say, am I overreacting/over thinking things or is it a valid concern?

And we are using old Motorola MT/MTS 2000 series radios, so if you know where I can get a used one or compatible one cheap let me know. ;)
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    We are issued our own radio, so it travels with me to and from work just like my gun does. We are also issued chargers for home. I know ours our like 5k a piece to purchase (don't ask me how I know ) so it isn't something I'd run right out and buy. One thing that our supply guys noticed was that once they bought everybody their own chargers, batteries started lasting a lot longer, cutting costs way down. So, you might want to do a little research into that and make a presentation to the management and see if they'll go for it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    This question is really for those who get dressed at home, but I welcome all input.

Are you issued your own, or have you purchased your own radio?

We pick up a radio at the start of our shift and turn it in at the end, but we drive to/from HQ in uniform w/o a radio. I do have the direct line to dispatch in my cell phone but I had a potential situation the other night driving home where a cell phone call may not have been quick or easy to do. I turned out to be nothing, but did cause me to consider investing in my own radio. I have always been surprised that they didn't give us our own radio for safety, just in case. Some of our guys have gone out and bought their own for the same reason.

So what do the experienced veterans say, am I overreacting/over thinking things or is it a valid concern?

And we are using old Motorola MT/MTS 2000 series radios, so if you know where I can get a used one or compatible one cheap let me know. ;)
    if it's straight conventional operations I might be able to help you out on that, PM me the freqs/PLs etc. It may not be a Moto but I maybe able to get you dealer pricing or a pretty good deal on something.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    We are issued our own radio, so it travels with me to and from work just like my gun does. We are also issued chargers for home. I know ours our like 5k a piece to purchase (don't ask me how I know ) so it isn't something I'd run right out and buy. One thing that our supply guys noticed was that once they bought everybody their own chargers, batteries started lasting a lot longer, cutting costs way down. So, you might want to do a little research into that and make a presentation to the management and see if they'll go for it.
    WOW! What are they made out of solid gold? lol

From what the other guys told me, brand new was about $500 for ours.

I will see what management says, but being the new guy I don't want to ruffle too many feathers. Lots of people set in their ways, heck we can't even get an online scheduling system. Plus since we are only part timers they may just not want to bother with the expense for us.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    if it's straight conventional operations I might be able to help you out on that, PM me the freqs/PLs etc. It may not be a Moto but I maybe able to get you dealer pricing or a pretty good deal on something.
    Cool! PM headed your way.

My dept officers are issued their own radio... depending on the officer if they want to bring it home with them.. I know some do and some don't. We are using the Motorola XTS Series I believe and they run about $3k a peice.. they are not cheap.. Also, we are on the 800 mhz frequency.

When you mentioned calling for something.. did you mean 911? Or did you call dispatch directly?

A couple of things to keep in mind.
    1) Conventional or digital. If digital which standard?
    2) FCC narrow band mandate effective 01/01/2013. Lots of older radios available cheap but are not narrow band capable.
    3) Trunked system? If so before your radio will work on the system it's ID has to be authorized by your communications center for your talk groups.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    My dept officers are issued their own radio... depending on the officer if they want to bring it home with them.. I know some do and some don't. We are using the Motorola XTS Series I believe and they run about $3k a peice.. they are not cheap.. Also, we are on the 800 mhz frequency.

When you mentioned calling for something.. did you mean 911? Or did you call dispatch directly?
    I think the XTS series varies a lot in price by model/features. I'm pretty sure one of our guys got an XTS (3000 I think) since the MTS isn't made anymore and I know he wouldn't pay that for it. But I've seen some 5000 series models going used for almost $2k.

To call either. 911 would be easier, assuming I could get the phone out of my pocket, unlock it and press the emergency call button but I potentially could of had my hands full where a single button press on a radio mic would of been quicker.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    WOW! What are they made out of solid gold? lol

From what the other guys told me, brand new was about $500 for ours.

I will see what management says, but being the new guy I don't want to ruffle too many feathers. Lots of people set in their ways, heck we can't even get an online scheduling system. Plus since we are only part timers they may just not want to bother with the expense for us.
    Yeah, they might as well be. Ours are *I think Moto 5000* (I'm not much of a radio guy), I'll go look if your really interested, but the programming is what makes it over the top expensive. Because we participate in several counties and I belong to a multi county, state wide agency, the programming that goes into it is ridiculous. I don't even know whats all involved with that, other than it gets expensive. I'm sure JD could shed some light there.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The newer radios out there are digital and typically run off a trunking type system. Its great techonlogy. I worked in acounty where the deputies and state troopers were not to respond to calls in a certain part of the county alone due to their radios not picking up over there. If it was there it was a two offcier call no questions. They switched to the new 3000 buck radios (off a DHS grant), and have perfect service with their radios. It really depends on what kind of tech your dept has, as to how $$$ they are.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    A couple of things to keep in mind.
    1) Conventional or digital. If digital which standard?
    2) FCC narrow band mandate effective 01/01/2013. Lots of older radios available cheap but are not narrow band capable.
    3) Trunked system? If so before your radio will work on the system it's ID has to be authorized by your communications center for your talk groups.
    From what little I know...
    1) conventional
    2) I was only looking at used for what we currently have so I think I'd be ok.
    3) Trunked.

I'm planning on getting down to the shop to talk to them and get all the details I need - and to even see if they will program a radio I bring to them. When I asked one of our guys about the radio details he said he didn't know (other than the model), he just told me who to get in touch with and he takes care of it all.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yeah, they might as well be. Ours are *I think Moto 5000* (I'm not much of a radio guy), I'll go look if your really interested, but the programming is what makes it over the top expensive. Because we participate in several counties and I belong to a multi county, state wide agency, the programming that goes into it is ridiculous. I don't even know whats all involved with that, other than it gets expensive. I'm sure JD could shed some light there.
    No need to look. The only reason I know what we have is I went into the office and looked at the radios we had in the chargers. Other than that it goes on my belt, has some knobs, I talk to it and it talks back, although it's not much of a conversationalist. ;) I'm trying to learn a little bit to make sense of it all.

Definitely check with the guys at the radio shop. A lot of departments have been asking the FCC for time extensions because they have not had the money to switch and don't know if they will be able to meet the deadline. It would really suck for you to drop major coin on a radio and find out six months from now that it will be a paper weight in a year.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member
    Something like this is what makes me think about getting my own radio: Deputy Shot; Bullet-Proof Vest Saves Life

My potential situation was that I came upon a car stopped at an intersection while on my way home after my shift. It was the night after the hurricane so there was no power and it was very dark out (close to midnight). I had no idea how long he had been there and figured he was just stopping to make sure the intersection was clear and was going to proceed. As I pulled up behind his door flies open and he starts coming towards me (I immediately think set up/robbery), I drop it in reverse ready to bail as there is no one behind me. Left hand on wheel right hand near gun. I watch him and his hands are clear, but I still don't know who is in his mini-van (dark windows). I cautiously roll down my window and he's looking for directions and can clearly see my uniform now. He's very animated with his hands and is right at my window. Now his passenger gets out and he starts yelling "it's an officer, it's an officer" so now I'm watching two people, but the other was apparently his wife and she got back in the car. As it turns out he was legitimately lost and confused and needed directions to get back to the highway (not easy since every other road was closed), but it so could of gone the other way, and having to dig out my cell phone to call for help may not have been the easiest to do if I'm bailing/avoiding/fighting off an attack.

Administrator
    I think its a bad idea to be in uniform and not properly equipped. Good for you in trying to remedy the situation with your own dime.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links