The Battle for Marjah

This is a discussion on The Battle for Marjah within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Has anyone else seen this? It's available on youtubee, but due to langauge, I'm not sure if posting link would violate rules or not....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Battle for Marjah

The Battle for Marjah

Has anyone else seen this? It's available on youtubee, but due to langauge, I'm not sure if posting link would violate rules or not.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

I have. I wish my company would of gotten more footage in the flick, but overall, it isn't bad.

I got a front row seat to the Battle of Marjah too. And I can identify some of the folks and places in the flick. By the time 1/6's Opreys and helo's landed, I had spent 2 1/2 days fighting at one of those "key intersections," keeping the Taliban bottled up in the city. And spent the rest of the month doing the same.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I watched some of it, I need to watch the rest. The Afgan kid cracks me up.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I watched some of it, I need to watch the rest. The Afgan kid cracks me up.

Mohammed? I thought so early in, he is a little person, 20 years old.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    Mohammed? I thought so early in, he is a little person, 20 years old.
    OK, I thought I picked up on that, but wasn't sure. Either way, he cracked me up
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Has anyone else seen this? It's available on youtubee, but due to langauge, I'm not sure if posting link would violate rules or not.
    If you have to ask, it probably does!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    If you have to ask, it probably does!!

The language makes a Quentin Tarantino movie look tame.
    Richard M Nixon
    Jeff Cooper

The language makes a Quentin Tarantino movie look tame.
    Marines in Garrison are not known for having clean language, Marines in combat, are much much worse.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

I just finished watching it after learning about it here. Very disconcerting, one guy is talking about how things were not bad until the americans got there, then in text you learn that shortly after the US forces left the little guy Muhamed was beheaded. Buckeye you where there, tell us what you think. Are we just trying to help a bunch of backwards people who hate us anyway? Seems like you can't trust any of them there just like you can't trust any of them here. Makes me angry that these people brought the fight to us and now that OBL is dead, what's the mission?

I wonder the same things, Doodle, I did notice, however, that many (not all) of the anti-American rhetoric was coming from guys wearing black turbans...I seem to remember the black turban being a Taliban staple...at least that's how it was presented by the media at the beginning of the conflict. I do wonder what our current mission is though. I love our guys, we have the best fighting force in the world. I want them all home safe, not fighting for a tribal people who most likely have no interest pledging allegiance to a central government entity, it's not what they understand and I have a hard time believing that one will ever be accepted over there. These are just my thoughts, but the Afghanis know the Taliban, they've had experience with them. They've been tortured and killed by them, and they've experienced the "peace" that the Taliban's terror and intimidation have brought in the past. It's time to let them make their own decisions on this matter...if they truly want freedom, as we understand it, the tribes will pick up arms and throw the Taliban out of their own volition, if all they want is to be able to live as they once did, under the brutally enforced doctrine of Taliban "justice" then I don't believe the best intentioned US nation building will amount to a hill of beans without our troops there, and as long as we remain, we will continue lose our best and brightest and strongest, fighting for a cause the locals have no interest in. I'm with you, the mission ended when OBL hit the floor with Navy Seal bullets snuffing out his life.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    I just finished watching it after learning about it here. Very disconcerting, one guy is talking about how things were not bad until the americans got there, then in text you learn that shortly after the US forces left the little guy Muhamed was beheaded. Buckeye you where there, tell us what you think. Are we just trying to help a bunch of backwards people who hate us anyway? Seems like you can't trust any of them there just like you can't trust any of them here. Makes me angry that these people brought the fight to us and now that OBL is dead, what's the mission?
    Okay, here is my personal viewpoint, hopefully I don't get this thread too far off topic. This is my personal viewpoint, as a veteran of both Iraq, and Afghanistan, and has no official connotations with it.

The vast majority of people in both of those countries really aren't too different than most Americans, sure, there are plenty of cultural differences, and they don't have as much technology in their lives. But most of them want to be left alone to make a living, so that they can support their families. Really, they just want their kids to grow up in a safe place, where they don't need to worry about IEDs. They want clean water, and their business to do well enough that their family doesn't starve. They want to worship as they choose, and to give their children a better life than they have. Really, that is pretty much universal, I believe that most people want that. Just because they don't have the latest smart-phone doesn't make them more primitive, or backwards, in fact, a lot of them are rather clever, they have just never been exposed to it. But very few of them truly hate us. In fact, most of them like us being their.

My unit opened up a school that had been closed for over a decade due to the Taliban, and it was open to boys and girls (before only boys in Afghanistan got educated). And parents were glad that we made the area safe enough to give their children that education, and they appreciated it. The look in a parent's eye when we told them through terps we would help their sick or injured child, and they knew it was true, was one of pure gratitude. And it helped our cause, most of our found IED's and caches were things we were told about by the locals, because they liked the security we brought, and liked us.

I lived on about 2 acres surrounded by barbed wire, with 40 Marines, and 20-30 afghans for 7 months, you bet I believe that we can trust some of them. The afghan police and army risk more than we do, because the Taliban know where they are, and where they live, and where their families live. Same thing in Iraq, we had Iraqi police get kidnapped and tortured to death, and their families threatened. While the locals fighting with us lacked the finesse and training we had, they were courageous, and trustworthy.

The insurgents are obviously not trustworthy, and are genuinely evil people. They should be wiped out, so that they can no longer pose a threat to my loved ones. But they are a very small minority. And their support base grows smaller all the time.

This article came out about 3 weeks ago, and is from roughly my old stomping grounds: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/23/wo...%20nawa&st=cse

And I don't see the mission as done, it is half done. You can't go in, turn a country upside down with years of war, and then pull out, leaving a massive power vaccuum. Which is exactly what would happen if we left now. The Taliban, or Iran, or somebody would swoop in, and it would be back to how it was before we went their, with all of our effort, and blood, and sweat in vain. The mission is helping to make a secure, self supporting semblance of a democracy. Where people have freedom to live their lives, and aren't oppressed by their own leaders. The Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776, and the Constitution finally ratified and in effect in 1793, almost two decades later. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes time, it takes patience, it takes fortitude. And it takes resolve, and unfortunately, it takes sacrifice. I'm not saying Afghanistan can ever be as prosperous as America, but it can be a decent place to live.

A lot of people think we signed the Declaration, and wham, bam, we are a great country. No, it took years of fighting, with support from France in many different ways, and then after the fighting officially ended, still about another decade to really get the country going.

So that is my opinion, hopefully it shed some light on things for you. You can agree or disagree, but that is one former grunt's view on the wars, and geopolitics.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Thanks Buckeye, for everything you've given your country, and for your viewpoint. It is so rarely that I get to hear the honest opinions of one who was/is there. Everything released for public consumption re: either of those wars, seems biased one direction or another. Nice to hear the mission and its justifications from your standpoint.
    Last edited by Dadsnugun; September 9th, 2011 at 09:43 PM.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Buckeye, it is an honor to be on the same forum with you.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Nope no argument here. Perhaps I'm a bit untrusting of muslims but thats me. I respect your opion on the matter without question. I've. Never fought insurgents while standing watch on a Submarine.

P.s. Buckeye if ever I find my way to your neck of the woods, I'm lookin ya up and buying you a beer!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I have. I wish my company would of gotten more footage in the flick, but overall, it isn't bad.

I got a front row seat to the Battle of Marjah too. And I can identify some of the folks and places in the flick. By the time 1/6's Opreys and helo's landed, I had spent 2 1/2 days fighting at one of those "key intersections," keeping the Taliban bottled up in the city. And spent the rest of the month doing the same.
    Thank you for serving your country sir.

God Bless and welcome home.

"Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links