Questions for the LEOs here.

This is a discussion on Questions for the LEOs here. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have spent the weekend in an annual update class. We cover different topics every year but we also have a few of the same ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Questions for the LEOs here.

I have spent the weekend in an annual update class. We cover different topics every year but we also have a few of the same every year. My questions come from the mechanics of arrest and DT portion of the class. My questions revolve around gear mainly. I believed for a long time that carrying my cuffs in front of my gun, strong side, allowed me to access them with both hands. Which is true. UNTIL I had some guy pressed against a wall with my strong side arm hammer locking the guy and leaning into him. I could not access my cuffs. I had my partner use his. So I moved from a double cuff case to 2 single cuff cases at 5 and 7 on my belt so I could reach them in all positions . Now this weekend I reaffirmed that it is necessary to have all your tools available to both hands. Now I think I may add a third single where my double was before. My question....

Does anyone carry more than 2 sets of cuffs on their duty belt?

Second question is about back up weapons. I am going to start carrying my second gun religiously. My question is this.

What blade do you carry in your support side pocket to protect your gun?? ( I carry a SOG trident, looking for better options)

Thanks

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Not uniformed LEO but I know a few LEO colleagues who have actually used two doubles on their 5 and 7. A bit bulky but judicious use of beltkeepers and spcing them just right makes them very useful. To me I think you should carry as much ammo and as many cuffs as you can stand the weight of.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

I Carry my primary cuffs as you mentioned - about the 2 o'clock - between my OC and handgun.
    Support side carry I use a ka-bar TDI for defensive use as well as an inexpensive folder in my right pocket for everything else. Ka-Bar sits just behind my duty belt in a natural draw position and keeps my radio in place

As far as extra cuffs - have you considered flexi-cuffs? I find that it's easier to carry a cutter on you and the ASP hand irons in my patrol bag.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

I'm retired, but I will give you my thoughts.

I carried singles at 5 & 7, as did most of my partners. In those cases of arresting more than four susps that there were no backup units present providing more hooks, I carried a four man chain and a bag of flex cuffs in my field bag.

I preferred going to my flashlight, sap or BUG, rather than a blade to protect my gun.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Senior Moderator
    I carry a double at the 7 oclock.

I dont know of anyone that carries more than two on the belt. I do keep another pair in my bag of tricks.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I carry a single pair of cuffs at 11 oclock and 6 oclock. I've found myself in the position of having a turd twisted up "detained", but could not access the cuffs that I had at 7 and 5. I then moved one set to the front of my belt, which could be accessed by either hand. Also, I use an auto open (push button) knife on my weak side. If my strong hand is tied up / incapacitated in a fight for life, I have that second lethal force option with my weak hand. BUG gun is in a holster velcro'd to my vest, strong side for a weak hand cross draw. I always want lethal options available to both hands.

Another retired oldtimer here...

While in uniform I carried two sets of cuffs. One in a regulation cuff case @ 8:00, and the second looped over my gunbelt @ 10:00. I trained, and practiced one hand cuffing. Another thing is I'd never pin someone with my firearm side. I never tried to cuff a struggling prisoner alone. I do understand thats a luxury that guys in a rural setting of a small department may not have.

I carried my second gun in a vest holster weak side. Leaving one button of my shirt open.

As far as knives... we had a box of ahhhh recovered knives in the locker room. Usually just pick up a cheapie out of the box when I broke or lost the last one. However I did have a sgt. while patrolling a housing project alone got into a fight, and was disarmed of his service revolver. He got it back by stabbing the perp.

Spuk!

VIP Member
    As a former peace officer I carried a single set of Peerless cuffs at the 7-8:00 position and I was generally able to cuff with my left hand. On busier nights I would lace 2-3 plastic ties through my Sam Brown and belt keepers from 12 to the 3:00 position. This allowed me to pull them cross-draw with my left hand while still holding whatever in my right hand. My Buck knife was mounted near my 10:00 position.

Come to think of it I still sorta miss those days. There was nothing quite like a good foot chase or hot pursuit.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

To answer your question about knives, this is what I carry for retention defense.

Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

when I was in patrol I carried single pouches at 7 and 5. I found it more comfortable while sitting in the car too. I had 4 more pearless fastened to the outside of my patrol bag and several disposable inside. My department weapon then was a S&W .357. The department didn't allow backups or non department weapons but you know how that goes better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6. I had a .25 on my ankle and a S&W 6906 in my patrol bag with a extra hundred rounds
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    Thomas Jefferson
    Third President of the United States

After this weekend I think I'm going to add a couple things to my rig. I appreciate all the answers, I need to work on my duty bag too. I do mostly arrest warrants and prisoner transports so I need to set up for more efficiently. Adding a folding dump pouch, baton holder, third cuff case, and am going to look for some new duty blades. Thanks.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Senior Moderator
    Remember now, you have to carry all that stuff and its a lot of weight. The less weight you carry on the belt the better off you'll be in the long run.
    I cant see you ever needing to carry a 3rd pair on your person. What few times I've had to use more than two pair, I've always had time to walk over to the car and get them from my bag, or at least a spair pair carried on the spotlight handle.

I quit carrying the ASP and replaced it with a Taser. You'll have to experiment a bit to get it all figured out and eventually you'll dump the stuff you dont use for the stuff that you must have. Everything else goes into the bag of tricks where you can get to it quickly if need be. Its one of the reasons that the bag will weight 30 pounds or more eventually.

Dont make the mistake of loading the belt with too much weight. Carry only what you have to.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Ok, here goes. On duty I get to wear BDU's and carry my BUG in the offside cargo picket in a leather holster that just fits in that pocket. As far as a knife goes I carry 3 on duty min. Big super lightweight folder clipped on strong side, a light rescue knife clipped reversed on the offside. And for a "get off of me" gun hand tied up but needing maxium help I carry a Cold Steel
    Kobun boot knife inside the waist ban reversed clipped to the underliner belt under my duty belt. It sits just behind my ASP. It is very light and flat and is an extreme handfull for anyone on the other end. With all the other gear hanging on the duty belt no one ever notices it. It is the best set-up I have run across for my use. Here is the link Kobun

I carry 1 set of hinged cuffs at 7 o'clock. ASP at 9, OC at 11, Mag pouches at 1, holster at 9, glove pouch at 5. Radio wherever I can fit it. Taser is carried cross draw 10.

That's all the gear I carry or want to carry.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    hinge pair at 7, chain pair at 5, 3rd set in pouch of my front seat bag

I carry a Kabar TDI in the belt loop sheath on my inner belt behind my taser, can reach it with either hand and its not obvious that I have a knife, my SOG trident is inside the cargo of my left leg, nobody knows its there, I don't like the idea of my blade being visible, even though its just the clip, one less thing to worry about (this is a change I made in the last few months)

my BUG is a S&W 642 carried in a 5.11 BBS holster with the velcro holding the two halves of my vest together on the left side
    I prefer to have the bug on the vest, easier to reach the upper body and retrieve than in a pocket, just IMO

picture of my duty belt, except the TDI isn't behind the mag pouch, its more behind the taser, oc in front of pistol, baton behind it
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links