To those covered by H.R. 218

This is a discussion on To those covered by H.R. 218 within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As stated earlier, I got offered (and quickly accepted) a position in a State LEA. I will not be a sworn officer for some time ...

As stated earlier, I got offered (and quickly accepted) a position in a State LEA. I will not be a sworn officer for some time (Iím guessing early 2012) as I will not be going straight to the academy.

So here is my question, should I spend the $20 to get a new permit that will last for a year? I moved into a new county so I will have to put in a new app.

My current permit expires on the 20th of this month; however, I can still carry on my Utah non-resident permit. I will be a sworn officer before the new permit expires. Do any of you see the advantages of a state permit when HR. 218 covers you?
    Please only respond if you are covered by HR. 218.
    Thanks guys!!!!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

The only reason that I maintain a state permit in addition in addition to 218 is that it allows me to carry a sap and other tools not covered by 218. In an active rather than retired status, that would probably not effect you.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It's always good to carry a permit. You may find yourself in a position where you are producing you carry permit to someone whom you may not want to know that you are a cop. Here in AZ - at a gun store or gunshow for example I skip the check as a permit holder but don't flash my badge.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

Good stuff, I didn't think about those factors. I'll put that application in!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

I carry a Delaware CCDW permit as I can carry and conceal about anything, within reason, with it. It would also allow me to keep carrying should I ever fail to qualify for the yearly HR-218 Permit.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Moderator
    Congrats on the job. Lots of LEO's around here have the state permit. Not that they need it, but when buying a gun it exempts you from the background check.And, if for some unknown reason that you get laid off, fired or whatever, you will still be legally able to tote.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    The only reason that I maintain a state permit in addition in addition to 218 is that it allows me to carry a sap and other tools not covered by 218. In an active rather than retired status, that would probably not effect you.
    This.......

Also in the State of Florida I can purchase and take possession of a handgun the same day and avoid the 3 day waiting period if I am a CCW holder.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My outfit was strongly discouraged from carrying anything other than the duty weapon off duty. If I wanted to carry another handgun, it was good for me to have a permit. Also, I was super glad I had it when I resigned; otherwise, I'd have been SOL.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Reasons, skip the background check on new buy, if some bad happens at work (you did not do anything wrong) and you get suspended for an investigation you can still carry, in my case the chief can come in at anytime and say you are no longer needed, you never know which way the political wind will blow, and ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP.....

Links