Carrying Credentials

This is a discussion on Carrying Credentials within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; There seems to be a lot of differing opinions around the dept with this so I'm curious what you guys think. This is for off-duty ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carrying Credentials

Distinguished Member

Carrying Credentials

There seems to be a lot of differing opinions around the dept with this so I'm curious what you guys think.

This is for off-duty only where you are required to have your agency ID and/or shield on you. Here we are required to have our ID on us at all times and are only required to have the shield if we are carrying.

There are 3 different schools of thought:

1. Badge Wallet: ID and shield are always in your normal every day wallet so you always have them.

2. ID in everyday wallet, shield in separate case/holder. ID always on you, shield when you need it.

3. Completely separate wallet cases. Everyday wallet is personal stuff, shield/ID case is just for that.

The problem I have with #1 is if you are robbed (and you're not carrying or can't get to your weapon) a thief could ID you as a LEO and shoot you on the spot. It has happened in the past. Some guys just dismiss this possibility and do it anyway, they don't want to be bothered with two things to carry. Plus depending on the wallet you have you could be telling every one in the supermarket what you do.

Being ID'd as a LEO is still possible with #2 but if you bury your ID in the wallet a robber likely wont find it until after they leave the scene.

#3 allows you to only ID yourself when you want to and not be made before then. The problem is bad guys also know some LEOs carry two wallets, but carrying the shield/id one in the front pocket will almost eliminate that marker. A variation on this is to have your every day wallet that has your shield and ID and a throw away wallet with a few bucks and some cards to give to a robber.

I'm currently in the #2 group, but may move to #3.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Not a cop. I'll offer a common sense answer. In the absence of specific directives from your department about what to do, do what works for you. IF there are directives, obey them.

Also from a common sense point of view. When carrying two different forms of ID, it is best to separate them. That way theft of your wallet doesn't leave you "naked."
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Not a cop. I'll offer a common sense answer. In the absence of specific directives from your department about what to do, do what works for you. IF there are directives, obey them.
    Absolutely. I was just wondering what other guys were doing, there is no shortage of opinons where I am.

Also from a common sense point of view. When carrying two different forms of ID, it is best to separate them. That way theft of your wallet doesn't leave you "naked."
    Agreed, hence thinking about going to #3.

VIP Member
    I am most closely in Camp #3. We are actually issued two shields - one is in my separate credentials case, and one rides on my belt in front of my gun (I am never in a "uniform," so plain clothes/off-duty is the norm for me). My cred case also has my DL and an "emergency" cash reserve. My regular wallet has all my credit cards, day-to-day cash, and so on. My agency has no real requirement to carry anything off-duty, but this is what I go with.

I have had concerns that a robber/attacker may see my badge as I am reaching to draw - I've actually practiced alternative draw strokes that minimize this chance. However, I have decided that, for me, having the badge visible to the public/other LEOs whenever my gun is visible outweighs the risk of being IDed by a robber during a robbery and shot out of hand. I am more likely to be responding to an incident in my vicinity than I am to be that actual target of the attack, so for me it makes sense to err on the side of being properly identified.
    jwhite75 likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

When I was active I went with number three for a couple reasons.
    One was separation of id/badge from wallet.
    Second and biggest reason was that there was too much crap to carry in a badge wallet. Id, credit cards, ins cards, AAA, etc, etc.

We also had two badges, a duty badge and a flat badge for id. Most uniform guys never took their uniform badge off their uniform and just used the flat badge when off duty.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

When I was an active LEO I carried a separate wallet from my ID and badge holder.

The badge holder/ID case was the type that could be placed over my belt with the badge exposed if need be.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I am most closely in Camp #3. We are actually issued two shields - one is in my separate credentials case, and one rides on my belt in front of my gun (I am never in a "uniform," so plain clothes/off-duty is the norm for me). My cred case also has my DL and an "emergency" cash reserve. My regular wallet has all my credit cards, day-to-day cash, and so on. My agency has no real requirement to carry anything off-duty, but this is what I go with.

I have had concerns that a robber/attacker may see my badge as I am reaching to draw - I've actually practiced alternative draw strokes that minimize this chance. However, I have decided that, for me, having the badge visible to the public/other LEOs whenever my gun is visible outweighs the risk of being IDed by a robber during a robbery and shot out of hand. I am more likely to be responding to an incident in my vicinity than I am to be that actual target of the attack, so for me it makes sense to err on the side of being properly identified.
    This is exactly how I do it.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

not a LEO but have an outsiders opinion.

I you confront me for some reason and present your ID; I would want to see them together in one case. not pulled from your wallet and some place else. I would assume you bought them and pretending to be a LEO.

I recommend #3! Show me together and I don't care if you carry your AAA card!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeTX View Post
    not a LEO but have an outsiders opinion.

I you confront me for some reason and present your ID; I would want to see them together in one case. not pulled from your wallet and some place else. I would assume you bought them and pretending to be a LEO.

I recommend #3! Show me together and I don't care if you carry your AAA card!

Good point, thanks for your input. What if the shield is on the belt and the ID is in a wallet? I will say, at least in my case, if I'm pulling my shield off duty, something BAD has happened and where my ID is located is probably of little concern to those around.

I figured we would of had a mix of methods here, but it's good to see everyone is on a similar page. Seems the ones that do #1 tend to be complacent in most areas anyway so not taking extra precautions isn't part of their thinking. I think, at least in my group, that being part time has a lot to do with and don't realize or accept that a thug that just jacked them isn't going to care if they are full, part, aux, reserve or a meter maid.

Lead Moderator
    #3 method was my choice .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

During my career...

WE had only one shield. When in uniform on the outermost garment. I plain clothes I usually carried Both shield and ID card together so they could be displayed at the same time. When challenged, or IDing myself to another officer the sheild means nothing without the ID. I carried in my weak side back pocket, with a light chain connecting my shield case to my belt. So I when I did display I wouldnt be mistaken for going for my gun. When working plain clothes on duty I sometimes wore the shield on a chain around my neck. But mostly I just kept in the case. I also carries my D/L, and credit (emergency) card, and cash in my shield case. I never wore my sheild on my belt. The whole idea or working plain clothes is... no one knows your a cop...

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I carried my badge and creds in a badge wallet separate from my personal wallet both on and off duty. I was taught and believe that the creds and the gun go together at all times.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by fastk9dad View Post
    What if the shield is on the belt and the ID is in a wallet?
    In this scenario; Not just anyone would walk around with a badge on their belt. So in that case it would be believable. I would assume posers would not walk around with a badge on the belt.

Thinking again... The above scenario would assume (to me) that your wearing a jacket and it is opened. If you approached and jacket was closed then opened to show I would be skeptical. That is just me I don't trust much beyond my world.

Lately I only carry my ID in the a regular wallet. The badge itself has no authority, it is the ID issued to you by your agency that describes from where the issued authority is given. While a badge is a good visual, they can be duplicated easily.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Lately I only carry my ID in the a regular wallet. The badge itself has no authority, it is the ID issued to you by your agency that describes from where the issued authority is given. While a badge is a good visual, they can be duplicated easily.
    I agree. Like you say the badge is a good visual and it can be seen and recognized at a distance. We were told to make sure we hold it up and make it visible so responding officers hopefully won't mistake you for a BG (or at least give you the benefit of the doubt) and shoot you. Once you comply with their orders and they take control then you can show them all the creds. That's why the badge goes with gun at least for us, but you always need the ID on you. There have been a few incidents in the city where someone was taking action OD and didn't identify to responding uniforms and were shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links