Possible Pending New Attack On U.S. Soil

This is a discussion on Possible Pending New Attack On U.S. Soil within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Monday, August 7, 2006 Last updated 1:48 p.m. PT Search under way for Egyptian students By MARK SHERMAN ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER WASHINGTON -- Eleven ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Pending New Attack On U.S. Soil

Administrator

Possible Pending New Attack On U.S. Soil

Monday, August 7, 2006 Last updated 1:48 p.m. PT

Search under way for Egyptian students

By MARK SHERMAN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- Eleven Egyptian students who arrived in the United States last month are being sought by U.S. authorities after failing to turn up at Montana State University.

The 11 Egyptian men were among a larger group of students who arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York from Cairo on July 29 with valid visas, according to FBI and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement officials.

The others have arrived at the Bozeman, Mont., campus. When the 11 didn't turn up by the end of the last week, the FBI issued a lookout to state and local law enforcement, said FBI Special Agent Richard Kolko.

"At this point all they have done is not show up for a scheduled academic program," Kolko said. "There is no threat associated with these men."

They are between 18 and 22 years old, said a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the search for the men is continuing.

The government probably will seek to send the students home once located because they have violated the terms of their visas, the official said.

University officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

QKShooter Comment: So WHY is the F.B.I. looking for them if their only crime thus far is just not showing up for their scheduled classes.
    Hardly an immediate Federal offense.

Could it be because the last Egyptian student that failed to show up for his classes in Montana...was the guy that crashed the jet plane into the Pentagon?
    Hummmm....that might have something to do with why the hunt is on for these 11 young men.

2. Remove Ads

They are between 18 and 22 years old, said a law enforcement official who spoke on condition of anonymity because the search for the men is continuing.
    One would think the LEO would refuse to speak, anonymity or not, because the search is continuing. Result: the men being sought now have more information, given the widespread reach of AP news. Dumb.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    On the one hand, there is a good chance those boys have took off somewhere and are shacked up with some members of the opposite sex and a case or two of Jack Daniel's.

On the other hand, after 9/11, we just can't take a chance on that.....

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2
    On the one hand, there is a good chance those boys have took off somewhere and are shacked up with some members of the opposite sex and a case or two of Jack Daniel's.
    I agree, because you can't find liquor and women at a college campus.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I heard something about August 22. being a possible event date.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Administrator
    Wishful Thinking that I hope that it turns out to be nothing but, considering world events...we're long overdue.

Assistant Administrator
    Any and every day, we are under threat and anyone who thinks otherwise is living with rose colored glasses.

We all have a duty to be local eyes and ears as cells could be anywhere.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator

P95Carry

+ 1 Agree 100%

I agree, because you can't find liquor and women at a college campus.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    So WHY is the F.B.I. looking for them if their only crime thus far is just not showing up for their scheduled classes.
    Hardly an immediate Federal offense.
    Actually I think it is......

If they came in on a student visa, and failed to show they are in violation. Sure doesn't sound like it should be an FBI thing though, more like immigration.

I worked with a guy who was married to a foreign national that was here on a student visa, he was trying all kinds of stuff to keep her in the country since she'd dropped out of school and the INS was getting ready to deport her........ And this was WAY before 9/11.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

The FBI Routinely assists INS in visa violations now, FWIU... especially when there is an associated risk involved.
    "I've got a mind like a steel trap... things wander in, and get mangled."
    -Fabbrica d'Armi P. Beretta, dal 1526

one found

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S18130.html?cat=1
    ABC NEWS has learned that one of the 11 missing Egyptian students has been found in Minnesota and is in custody. Federal law enforcement officials are expected to issue a written statement shortly. The student is being interviewed by federal officials.

Other details were not immediately available. No word on the other ten missing students at this point.

The Egyptian students who arrived in the United States last month are being sought by authorities after failing to turn up for an exchange program at Montana State University.

The Egyptian men were among a group of 17 students who arrived at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York from Cairo on July 29 with valid visas, according to U.S. authorities and university officials.

The other six have arrived at the Bozeman, Mont., campus for a monthlong program on English language instruction and U.S. history and culture, university spokeswoman Cathy Conover said.

When the 11 didn't turn up by the end of the last week, the FBI issued a lookout to state and local law enforcement, said FBI Special Agent Richard Kolko.

"At this point all they have done is not show up for a scheduled academic program," Kolko said. "There is no threat associated with these men."

The government probably will seek to send the students home once they are located because they have violated the terms of their visas, the official said.

The government tightened the student visa process after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks when it learned that four of the hijackers entered the country on foreign student visas.

The school has tried repeatedly to contact the students, Conover said, including sending e-mails. When that failed, the school notified Homeland Security officials and registered the Egyptians as "no-shows" in the system developed after Sept. 11 to track foreign students, Conover said.

They were participating in an exchange program Montana State arranged with Mansoura University in Mansoura, Egypt.

"We hope this doesn't cast doubt on this program because we think it's important to have international students on our campus and in our community," Conover said.

The students have been identified as:

--Ibrahim, El Sayed Ahmed Elsayed
    --El Dessouki, Eslam Ibrahim Mohamed
    --El Bahnasawi, Alaa Abd El Fattah Ali
    --Abd Alla, Mohamed Ragab Mohamed
    --El Laket, Ahmed Refaat Saad El Moghazi
    --El Ela, Ahmed Mohamed Mohamed Abou
    --El Moghazy, Mohamed Ibrahim Elsayed
    --Abdou, Ebrahim Mabrouk Moustafa
    --El Gafary, Moustafa Wagdy Moustafa
    --Maray, Mohamed Saleh Ahmed
    --El Shenawy, Mohamed Ibrahim Fouaad

Administrator
    Well, thats good.
    Hopefully. that means that they will track the remainder of them down real soon & find out exactly what was up with THAT gone missing incident.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Three of the 11 Egyptian students who failed to show up at a Montana university last month were taken into custody Wednesday.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/08/09/egy...nts/index.html
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

And I just read this morning that there are 1300 unsolved cases like this since 9-11? Sorry, I don't have a link to the story but I'll see if I can find and post.

1300 unknown "students" that have defaulted on their student visas and are hiding out somewhere? Does this make anyone else the slightest bit nervous?
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links