A Sad State of Affairs...

This is a discussion on A Sad State of Affairs... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I visited D.C. last week for my son's graduation from Diplomatic Security Service training. Big affair in the ballroom of the State Dept. Couldn't help ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By NC Bullseye

Thread: A Sad State of Affairs...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap

A Sad State of Affairs...

I visited D.C. last week for my son's graduation from Diplomatic Security Service training. Big affair in the ballroom of the State Dept. Couldn't help but to notice the security guards everywhere, and especially the roving guards with sub-machineguns patrolling the grounds of the Federal Reserve. That seemed a bit over the top to me, knowing that the FR probably doesn't have two nickles to rub together these days. But this was just after 9/11, and my son acknowledged that security was indeed stepped up at the time.

The last time I'd visited the area was probably 45 years ago, and at that time one might have encountered a guard--most likely unarmed--at the entrance to most "important" buildings. They provided more information than security back then. It's a sad state that we're forced to live in these days.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

2. Remove Ads

It puts things into perspective when you see how far down the slippery slope we've traveled eh?

You're not the only one who's saddened.
    Magnum and Secret Spuk like this.

mel
    Congratulations to your grandson, I have met a few of the DSS guys, and they seem like a great group. It is sad to see the direction things are headed, hopefully that will change back to the right direction. Good luck to your grandson.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Last week was the 10 year anniverssary of 9/11. Is it possible the increased security was due to the timing?

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your son's accomplishment and career choice OldVet. Serving one's country is an honor.

DC is sadly not what it used to be. Once upon a time government facilities were freely open. Those days are past.

Congrats to your son...

__________________________________________________ _____________

Perhaps all the guards are there to protect the 'Congressional Thieves'?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Congrats to your son on his accomplishment.

As far as DC goes, I avoid the place like the plague. Last time I was there was about 8 years ago, and that was just long enough to visit the Viet Nam Vet Memorial.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Congrats! Tell your son to keep his eyes and ears open, and his head down. Its not like it used to be back when I was active duty LEO, it was a very rare thing back then to have an officer killed in the line of duty, and we didn't have vests at that time.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    It puts things into perspective when you see how far down the slippery slope we've traveled eh?

You're not the only one who's saddened.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am 50.

In my lifetime, we will regularly hear, "Papers Please", mark my words.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Congrats! Hope all continues to go well for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    especially the roving guards with sub-machineguns patrolling the grounds of the Federal Reserve. That seemed a bit over the top to me, knowing that the FR probably doesn't have two nickles to rub together these days.
    Well, they have to protect their "legal" counterfeit monopoly you know... Heaven forbid someone else could walk out with a printer and print their own money.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    A few additional comments:
    First week at work and the son makes an arrest. I immediately ordered a new hat for him--one size larger!

While in DC I visited the VN wall and searched for the one guy I personally knew who was killed there (3 day rom DOR as it turned out). I only knew him by his nickname, but would recognize his real name if I spotted it. Alas, I couldn't find his name, my main reason for visiting the wall. I'll have to reasearch again and find what panel and row his name is on before I revisit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links