Questioned By Local Police For Being A Responsible Citizen

This is a discussion on Questioned By Local Police For Being A Responsible Citizen within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; MODs: If this does not fit here, more or delete it. Several years ago I was doing a job at a local Subway store. While ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Questioned By Local Police For Being A Responsible Citizen

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Questioned By Local Police For Being A Responsible Citizen

MODs: If this does not fit here, more or delete it.

Several years ago I was doing a job at a local Subway store. While on the roof, (working on the AC) I noticed some gumball machines in a field across the way. having read about a motel break-in a block away that involved such items I called the local Police.

For doing my civic duty, I was asked for my name, address, telephone number and how I found these items. Getting a bit pissed, I gave them the information and went about my business. How things turned out, I have no idea nor do I care.

Last Saturday I was sitting on the back deck. I live in a fairly upscale neighboorhood. Most people here have children and at the time there were several outdoors playing. I heard 5 shots from the next street over. From the pop (er, snap) it sounded like either a 9mm or .38.

Again, like an idiot, I called the local PD and once again, I got the same information request. Name, phone and home address and what lead me to believe what I heard was gun shots. E-Nuff... click.

It was later reported that the noise we all heard was fire crackers. I don't believe for one minute that was what I heard.

If I take anything away from this, it is, do not call the PD unless you want to be questioned. Keep your thoughts and comments to yourself. I see now why people seldome report crimes that happen in their area. If they do, they for some reason become the suspect of something.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Im not sure I understand, you made a report both times and nothing happened to you. Unless your holding back some information, thats how it works..
    357and40 likes this.

Harry, my problem is with all of the questions about ME.

Sorry for my inability to communicate my point. My writing skills are not very good.

Best!
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    My take is they want your information in case you are needed in the investigation or possibly to testify in court.
    357and40 and 64zebra like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

They take your information so that if they catch someone, you can either write a witness statement or appear in court if needed to describe what you saw to lead you to make the call.
    64zebra likes this.

The poice can not be everywhere (it the reason many of us carry!) so they depend on you to call, but unless they take info about you they have no way to follow up, if needed.. In these cases they did not need to re-contact you. I don't understand the big deal. Do you think they are making a record of how many times you call? For what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Harry, my problem is with all of the questions about ME.

Sorry for my inability to communicate my point. My writing skills are not very good.

Best!
    Ok, I understand now, Azchevy is right about the reasoning behind there questions...

Quote Originally Posted by RoadKill View Post
    Do you think they are making a record of how many times you call? For what purpose?
    Here is my position. This is a tiny town of perhaps 13000 people. Everyone here pretty much knows everyone else. I admit I am a bit sensitive about being probed for personal information. I have lived here for 53 years. Never seen the inside of a jail, never had so much as a parking ticket, and have a history of being 100% clean. I have written emergency response plans for the two towns in this county and one for the county itself. My father left when I was 12 and my mother died shortly after I graduated high school. I was left to my own devices and to fend for myself. I managed to keep my nose clean, start a business and learned from the school of hard knocks. Today many in the community consider me an example of what a person can do with themselves if they try.

No, I don't think they are making a record of how many times I call. What I think they should do is recognize the information is coming from a reliable and stable source based on the name and phone number. We have enhanced 911 and any call to the local PD shows the address whether it is a direct called line or a 911 emergency call. I will admit the local PD has a anonymous tip line but it is only checked a few times daily.

Its like I said above about the gumball machines: "and how I found these items." Read between the lines and you'll see where I am going.

Best! Roadkill
    Diddle
    NRA Life Member

I just told you why they do it. Why are you still worrying about it? They want to know how you found them. It is for the investigation. Why so paranoid?
    357and40 likes this.

Those are standard questions. No one was interrogating you or questioning your motives. When we respond to calls and don't get info from callers, complaintants, victims, etc... we get our shoes squeezed from bosses. Don't take it personal. If it bothers you to give your pedigree to the PD, then don't call them.

I've dealt w/ many citizens like you that get annoyed when I ask for their name, address etc.... not being nosey, just doing my job.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by Diddle View Post
    Here is my position. This is a tiny town of perhaps 13000 people. Everyone here pretty much knows everyone else. I admit I am a bit sensitive about being probed for personal information. I have lived here for 53 years. Never seen the inside of a jail, never had so much as a parking ticket, and have a history of being 100% clean. I have written emergency response plans for the two towns in this county and one for the county itself. My father left when I was 12 and my mother died shortly after I graduated high school. I was left to my own devices and to fend for myself. I managed to keep my nose clean, start a business and learned from the school of hard knocks. Today many in the community consider me an example of what a person can do with themselves if they try.

No, I don't think they are making a record of how many times I call. What I think they should do is recognize the information is coming from a reliable and stable source based on the name and phone number. We have enhanced 911 and any call to the local PD shows the address whether it is a direct called line or a 911 emergency call. I will admit the local PD has a anonymous tip line but it is only checked a few times daily.

Its like I said above about the gumball machines: "and how I found these items." Read between the lines and you'll see where I am going.

Best! Roadkill
    I commend you on your life achievements, I think maybe your being a little near sighted on this. Your not the suspect, your not being detained, your not under investigation. Your making the report as an upstanding citizen. Be proud of that. Azchevy is right, there is nothing to be paranoid about.

Nine times out of ten if the individuals are caught, they admit to it, plea out and everybody goes on their merry way. There is that 1 time when they may lawyer up, not admit to it, the prosecutor has to build a case, and may require your statement or testimony to put all the pieces of a case together. THAT is why LE is asking for your information. It is standard procedure and nothing to be paranoid about.
    64zebra likes this.

Being a good guy I never worry about what an LEO asks me in regards to an investigation. I have nothing to hide & unless they are investigating ME, I am cool to answer questions... If they ask a question that I do not like the sound of I ask for clarification or why they want to know what they are asking for.... If they expect me to answer questions they should not mind answering mine as well...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

It was later reported that the noise we all heard was fire crackers. I don't believe for one minute that was what I heard.
    Maybe I just don't have a good enough ear. I would not be able to tell the difference between firecrackers and gunshots, especially at a distance. When I'm at the gun range I can tell the difference if the person next to me is shooting a .22 or shooting a .45. Anything in between I'm not too sure.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Distinguished Member
    Documentation, documentation, documentation...

Everything they are asking you is getting written in their notebook. You never know when the smallest detail will be questioned later or could lead to something else. Also should the case go to trial and the defendants lawyer asks the detective where did you learn about this info instead of saying "some guy at the Subway", they can say on Sept 20th, at approx 1320, Mr. Diddle contacted us and said he saw some gumball machines from the roof of the Subway at 123 main st, where he was doing some repair work on their HVAC system."

I'm surprised they also didn't as for your DOB.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links