Shot Spotter comes to Rocky Mount NC

This is a discussion on Shot Spotter comes to Rocky Mount NC within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rocky Mount using sensors to trace gunshots Rocky Mount, N.C. It seems like futuristic technology someone fires a gun, and police know almost ...

Thread: Shot Spotter comes to Rocky Mount NC

VIP Member

Shot Spotter comes to Rocky Mount NC

Rocky Mount using sensors to trace gunshots

Rocky Mount, N.C. It seems like futuristic technology someone fires a gun, and police know almost immediately where.

But it's a reality for Rocky Mount, the first North Carolina city taking advantage of a relatively new technology called "Shot Spotter," which uses sensors installed throughout the city to pinpoint gunshots when they go off.

Rocky Mount Police Sgt. Kevin Bern says Shot Spotter, which is being used in other U.S. cities like Oakland, Calif., and New York City, can also distinguish between gunfire and other noises, such as firecrackers or vehicles that backfire.

Once a gunshot is detected, police are automatically dispatched to the location no 911 call needed.

"We're pretty excited," Bern said. "It seems kind of outlandish, kind of high-tech, but when we got the demonstration and saw how well it worked, we were highly impressed."

Right now, Shot Spotter covers 3 square miles of the city, thanks in part to a $350,000 federal grant from the U.S. Department of Justice, and a $12,000 investment by the city.

Since July, when the equipment was installed, Bern said, it has led to several arrests and stolen gun confiscations, although he won't say how many. He also won't say where the sensors are installed to keep from jeopardizing current or future cases.
    Rocky Mount using sensors to trace gunshots :: WRAL.com

I have heard of this technology being used in larger cities so it makes me wonder why it would be deployed in a much smaller city such as Rocky Mount.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

Could be Federally funded,Companies no makey money unless they sell the equipment
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's all about Big Brother needing to have us under It's thumb every second of every day...anyone else notice all the "traffic cams" and other BS that has sprung up since 9/11? It's not about protection, it's about control. One of these days, they'll have all the pieces in place...then we'll really be...well, you know...made love to.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Shot spotter from what i heard uses audio to detect noise but I've also heard of doppler that can trace the bullet path from the way the bullet changes the air around it but it has to be vectored.

Camera's in my opinion are for after the fact which is fine with me your out in public and you will be able to show the jury that yes this BG tried to kill me and i defended myself. It helps in civil lawsuits as well, if your state doesn't protect you from them.

Quote Originally Posted by CUTigers View Post
    Camera's in my opinion are for after the fact which is fine with me your out in public and you will be able to show the jury that yes this BG tried to kill me and i defended myself. It helps in civil lawsuits as well, if your state doesn't protect you from them.
    No disrespect intended, just talking here...but, convincing the public of the benign and possibly even positive uses of the devices keeps people off balance as to their true capabilities and therefore less opposed to their installation. There exist programs for scanning and tracking license plates...movement, registration, anything known about the person the car is registered to...Of course no one would ever think of turning such a program against loyal citizens...only terrorists right?...certainly not for political reasons...but still, the system doesn't care what parameters it operates under...type in Ahkmed Terrorist, or Joe Citizen and it will track both with equal vigor. Not saying this technology is completely installed yet, but think about it, where would be a good place to put such a system?...maybe on cameras that monitor traffic intersections?? Just sayin...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

VIP Member
    Waste of taxpayer money and there is the potential for misuse of this type of technology. Why Rocky Mount of all places, not exactly a hotbed of violence for crying out loud.

Links