NYPD Chief claims ability to "take down a plane." What caliber for Boeing???

This is a discussion on NYPD Chief claims ability to "take down a plane." What caliber for Boeing??? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Bark'n I don't believe he was inferring he has the authority to shoot down a commercial airliner full of passengers, let alone ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: NYPD Chief claims ability to "take down a plane." What caliber for Boeing???

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I don't believe he was inferring he has the authority to shoot down a commercial airliner full of passengers, let alone possessing the hardware necessary to do it.

On the ground, sitting on the tarmac within your city limits is a whole other deal. Between him and the mayor, they probably do have the authority to make those decisions when a plane is on the ground at LaGuardia, JFK or anyone of the other smaller airports.

I believe Commissioner Kelly was indicating that his ESU units have probably been receiving the specialized training, and obtaining the necessary hardware so that if necessary, his units could perform such a mission.
    All NY and NJ airport are handled by the Port Authority Police department they are diffrent than NYPD. Forget what they are allowed to do. People this is NY. What would it take for Bloomy to write a check for a jet and equipt it anyway he wants. The man is worth 19 billion dollars. The NYPD with 35,000 members is bigger than most countries miltary.

2. Remove Ads

"[I don't believe he was inferring he has the authority to shoot down a commercial airliner full of passengers]"

True^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

A 1911 in .45 has taken down a Japanese fighter plane.
    http://www.guns.com/how-a-colt-m1911...o-fighter.html

The mighty idolized NYPD. All militarized up so they can continue to oppress the citizens in their fine city who wish to legally defend themselves and exercise their 2d amendment. Nothing to see here folks, just "heroes" oppressing the little man.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I find it odd that a city that will not permit you to carry a handgun to protect yourself, would maintain the ability to shoot down a passenger airliner.

Perhaps he meant, they have an army of homeless people that would run through central park yelling and screaming and flapping umbrellas open and closed to chase all the pigeons into the air so bird strikes would take down the plane.
    merlin82plus likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

AZ, almost 800 NYPD have died in the line of duty. I suspect, like most cops, the majority support 2A rights, the ones I know do. Hell, the guy who taught me to shoot was my Boy Scout troop leader and a New York cop. Whether they support your view, my view or have their own view of the 2A, they are sworn to uphold laws and policies created by elected officials. Every day, our cops enforce laws they don't like and our soldiers fight in wars they don't like, IMHO, neither deserve to be called "oppressors of the little man", just the opposite, most are the sheepdogs protecting the little guy

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    AZ, almost 800 NYPD have died in the line of duty. I suspect, like most cops, the majority support 2A rights, the ones I know do. Hell, the guy who taught me to shoot was my Boy Scout troop leader and a New York cop. Whether they support your view, my view or have their own view of the 2A, they are sworn to uphold laws and policies created by elected officials. Every day, our cops enforce laws they don't like and our soldiers fight in wars they don't like, IMHO, neither deserve to be called "oppressors of the little man", just the opposite, most are the sheepdogs protecting the little guy
    I disagree with you 100%

They enforce, in my opinion, unconstitutional laws. I would never voluntarily apply to work for an agency or municipality that does those sorts of things to it's citizens. Thank god this is a free country and I have choices.

In 2010 768 individuals died in the mining and natural resources industry. 596 died in agriculture/forestry industry. 312 died in crop production.None of those people oppress the little man like the NYPD does. So those death numbers mean nothing to me.
    CowboyColby likes this.

One question who can or would authorize a shootdown of a aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
    One question who can or would authorize a shootdown of a aircraft?
    POTUS/SECDEF, ideally

But I believe Commander, Northern Command has weapons release authority delegated to him by POTUS/SECDEF.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Given that "taking down an airliner", however you define that, is under the Federal power of "to provide for the common defense" in the preamble of the Constitution, NYC officials appear to be prepared to overstep their bounds on this one. They are just a bit too big for their britches and need to be smacked down by the voters. They are a city, not a country.
    I agree that the main reason for forming the alliance of States was to be able to form a better defense. However in doing that did they intend that an individual State should be prohibited from protecting itself?
    I am sure the Federal government will say they did. Just as they say the individual States gave up their right to protect themselves from illegal entry by foreigners. The same reasoning that says an individual gave up his right to self-defense when he allowed government the power to form a police force.

Michael

VIP Member
    10thmtn likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I agree that the main reason for forming the alliance of States was to be able to form a better defense. However in doing that did they intend that an individual State should be prohibited from protecting itself?
    I am sure the Federal government will say they did. Just as they say the individual States gave up their right to protect themselves from illegal entry by foreigners. The same reasoning that says an individual gave up his right to self-defense when he allowed government the power to form a police force.

Michael
    The 10th amendment reads as follows "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people." Like it or not, I think the common defense was delegated to the United States by the Constitution. One could, I suppose, argue that shoting down an airliner over NYC is not a common defense issue, but I would not want to be the defendant in that case.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Obviously... This is a result of the 9-11 attacks. On that day the police comisioner authorized NYPD helicopter crews to sacrifice themselves, and their aircraft to terminate any further attacks. Not urban myth... true info. One would have to have been there to understand this mentality. Since then the NYPD has aquired the means to protect the people of NY from a similar attack.

Anytime someone use deadly force against another person they are breaking the law. An exception of justification based on self defence is possible. believe they are probably looking at this the same way. To do so would be reckless and cause the deaths of many innocent people. However under NY Penal law a police officer may act recklessly in specific situations.

At this point I am no fan of the current city governmen, and police leadership. But it is wat it is.

VIP Member
    Well fellas, of course the NYPD can shoot down a plane. They bought the weapon at a gun show down south. he he he
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    He may use the .38 on his leg.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links