MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do? - Page 2

MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

This is a discussion on MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by sgb I'm 100% against informing an Officer that I'm carrying and only do so when absolutely required by law. Only a very ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    I'm 100% against informing an Officer that I'm carrying and only do so when absolutely required by law. Only a very small percentage of LEO's are actually gun savvy, guess what profession has the highest rate of negligent discharges?

Any Officer fearful of an armed populace needs to find another line of work.
    May I ask what you are basing this on? I dont know many LEO's that are not comfortable around a vast array of different firearms. Most LEO's I know are 2A supporters, who actually promote law abiding citizens carrying defensive firearms. Actually, I cant remember talking with another LEO that wasnt a 2a supporter. I know probably about a thousand LEO's, and am on a personal level with hundreds. I'm basing this on my personal relationships. Also, there is a difference between "fearful of an armed populace", and just being very cautious around an armed person that the LEO doesnt know from Adam. And you say that LEO's have the highest percentage of negligent discharges...what do you base this on? Also, might that have something to do with the fact that your average LEO spends alot more time around different firearms that the average Joe? (I know, theres lots of us on here that slam off thousands of rounds per month...i'm simply saying LEO's go through lots of rounds, usually with several different firearms) Do you know what group of people has the highest rate of falling out of tree stands? Deer hunters!
    tcon67, SigHawk and RoadKill like this.

^ i'm in no way making excuses for an ND...it just seemed like stone throwing in this case thats all

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I would have said 'please call your Sergeant, I'm going to put my hands on the wheel/top of my head and NOT MOVE. I am NOT going to touch my firearm, I do not consent to being disarmed but will NOT resist.'

It's not disobeying the LEO.

OTOH if he seemed REALLY incompetent around firearms, I'd say 'may I put on the safety, eject the magazine and the round in the chamber for both our safety?' I would NOT want him putting my chambered firearm in the backseat, during which time he could have touched off the trigger and shot me or himself.

If he's asking you to take it out of the holster, during which time a real BG could shoot him, he is a COMPLETE and UTTER MORON and deserves to be put on desk duty until he learns which end of the firearm the lead comes out of. :)
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Now that Ive actually tried it. There is a few ways of doing this without covering anybody with the muzzle. I agree with the post above, seems like a non issue.

VIP Member
    Reading some of these posts, I am amazed at the insistence of a few to start some where there isn't any.
    tcon67, HotGuns and rolyat63 like this.

I would have said 'please call your Sergeant, I'm going to put my hands on the wheel/top of my head and NOT MOVE. I am NOT going to touch my firearm, I do not consent to being disarmed but will NOT resist.'
    Good luck with that.

Like crap it is not.
    SigHawk, RoadKill, kb2wji and 1 others like this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    I would have done exactly what I was asked to by the officer (In reason of course, I wouldnt have had the muzzle facing directly at my, and would have expressed that concern to him), then, after the stop, would have called the local law office and gave them a full report on what had happened and why I was dissatisfied with the actions of this police officer.

Dissatisfied???

Anyway, the cop then gave him a warning and opened my friends back door and set the gun on his backseat and said have a good day. Thoughts?

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    .....the cop said to turn the gun around and told my friend to hold the muzzle and hand it to him grip first........
    As others have said, grip first doesn't necessarily result in muzzle pointed toward you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Reading some of these posts, I am amazed at the insistence of a few to start some where there isn't any.
    Some guys have a very misguided notion of how to exercise their rights.

I think I would have taken the same route mentioned above. I would have very politely responded by saying "that is not a problem at all officer. For both of our safety, would you mind if I released the magazine and ejected the round in the chamber first?" If he refused my request, then I would hand him the weapon as asked. However, my question may spark him to realize his request from my seat and appreciate my concern for safety and cause him to reconsider his instructions. Not only that, now my concerns would be entered on the voice recording of the conversation). I understand the officers concern for his safety, and walking up to an unknown window on the side of the road HAS to be nerve racking, but gun safety 101 is NEVER point a loaded gun as something you don't intend to fire upon and NEVER hand over a loaded firearm to someone else, especially someone you don't know. The officer should know this and if he has any common sense, he would understand that a BG wouldn't need an excuse of "unloading the weapon" to do something bad. He could do that while acting like he was complying to the officers original command.

There have been several instances of officer impersonations here in Texas recently, although relatively rare, I would be very hesitant to hand MY loaded weapon to anyone without proper verification. Perhaps requesting to call the police station to verify the officer and his location just as I would if an officer knocked on my door late at night making a "neighborhood inquiry".

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'd probably just do what they say, in as safe of a manner as possible - real slow like.

Really depends on the atmosphere, I know I'd be nervous - heck, I'm sure the cop would be a little on edge too - no need to escalate that feeling. I may or may not ask if it's alright to remove the magazine and loaded round, but that could cause more concern.

Yeah, I'd probably just do what I was told.

That said, if he set the gun on my back seat I'd be really ticked off because that's where my kids are. :)

What's the problem people?? Forget about the officer wanting you to hand him the firearm yourself...it seems the main thing the OP was concerned about is that the muzzle would then be pointed at you....I don't know about any of you but I can have the butt of a gun facing away from me and still not have the muzzle pointed at myself...it's not rocket science people!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Like crap it is not.
    A colorful ex-cop now security trainer says never to hand a cop your gun from your car. The reason is that his partner may not know why you are going for your gun and respond with lethal force.

So I agree with Badger except, I would not suggest that the officer call his sergeant and would request that the officer remove the gun from my holster, himself.

Is there a problem with this, Officer Guantes?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

There is a certain amount of logic in the first statement.

No I would not see a problem with that. It is possible that I may have misread the intent of the post.
    Personally I would not make such a request, I would take possession of the weapon myself after advising the driver to alight from the vehicle, then advising him of what my actions were going to be. That is if I decided to take possession of the weapon at all.
    RoadKill likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by satori59 View Post
    Comapared to what, bus drivers? nurses?
    Sheep herders
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links