MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do? - Page 4

MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

This is a discussion on MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The one and only time this ever happened to me the Officer just asked me where my gun was and I told him it was ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

The one and only time this ever happened to me the Officer just asked me where my gun was and I told him it was holstered on my belt strong side. He then just instructed me to leave the gun holstered while he went back to his car. He returned shortly and presented me with a ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign. He further instructed me to have a nice day and then he made his exit. Life is usually pretty simple for me.
    Mike1956 and Old School like this.

Yeah cop could have handled it differently. I'd have ignored his specific directions and handed him weapon in the holster.
    MotorCityGun likes this.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Now I got LEO callin me a ass... I am really, really dissatisfied now! I'm tellin'!

I thought it was only moles and gophers what dug holes alot... mebbe them otheruns do too.

I'd hand him the gun like I'd offer a carrot to a horse... laying on my open palm, muzzle away from both of us.
    which end of the carrot is the muzzle?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Im only admitting to my current carry status, if asked, and, if, I am not ,Washington State has no "duty to inform", but local agencys can "buy" a computor service from the State that notifys if the registered owner has a CCP in the drivers licence data base, so I have practiced not answering "Do you have any weapons on your person?" I personally cant think of anything more dangerous than surrendering my pistol...and TRAINERCP..your friend probably got a stolen gun check by LEO that captured his weapon..that can be a lottry moment...$.02

When I was a kid I was taught to always had weapon to another person handle first. This applies to firearms, knives etc. I guess they don't do that anymore?

Michael

Cool

"Personally I would not make such a request, I would take possession of the weapon myself after advising the driver to alight from the vehicle, then advising him of what my actions were going to be. That is if I decided to take possession of the weapon at all." {QUOTE} Guantes.......

....This......

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I would have asked him if I put my hands on my head, or on the car, and he unholster the gun if that would be acceptable to him. He could only say no. Personally, I'ld be very uncomfortable with any officer taking a loaded gun, been about shot by ND's .... all made by LEO's who were handling their own gun unsafely.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    which end of the carrot is the muzzle?
    You go ahead sonny, give a carrot to a horse with your fingers all wrapped around it I don't care which way you point the thing. Make sure you use the weak hand. Perfessional gun hand like you gonna need that trigger finger someday...

And after you do that, we can go out cow tippin'. If you find that to your liking, snipe hunting's next. Lessee, how 'bout some mailbox baseball? or cowchip tossin'...? Come out here and I'll take you to see the butter cow at the fair next year.

Fool city boy, the muzzle is the bidness end. You point it away from anything you don't wanna DEESTROY, right?

Now, I'm busy here, I say, Quit botherin' me, boy... You're built too low. The fast ones go over your head. Ya got a hole in your glove. I keep pitchin' 'em and you keep missin' 'em. Ya gotta keep your eye on the ball. Eye. Ball. I almost had a gag, son. Joke, that is.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Dissatisfied???
    Hell yes dissatisfied! Given the scenario, there is no reason why the officer should be disarming me, as I am a permit holder and legally able to carry my firearm. Also, even if I were to hand the gun to him, his instructions should have included clearing it.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Administrator
    really? You guys can't figure out a way to safely comply?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    really? You guys can't figure out a way to safely comply?
    Would I feel comfortable pulling my gun out of my holster and handing it to an officer on the other side of my truck door? Yes. Would I feel comfortable knowing that there is a LEO having permit holders hand over their firearms so he can what? Look at them? For what reason? No.

I also have a permit to drive a vehicle, but wouldn't be happy if my vehicle got searched every time I got stopped for speeding....
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTreadOnI View Post
    Would I feel comfortable pulling my gun out of my holster and handing it to an officer on the other side of my truck door? Yes. Would I feel comfortable knowing that there is a LEO having permit holders hand over their firearms so he can what? Look at them? For what reason? No.

I also have a permit to drive a vehicle, but wouldn't be happy if my vehicle got searched every time I got stopped for speeding....

Exactly.

I just don't understand the LEO's point of view by wanting my friend to hand him the gun the way he did. My friend could have had the jump on him so easily before the officer could have gotten out his weapon. I just feel that if I were an officer I would never do that. My feelings would be that if he had his seat belt, it would take a good 3 seconds to get the weapon, and if I Was alert enough, would be able to draw first.

Also, maybe why this seemed so crazy to me, was because I left out an important part. The cop tried to clear the weapon and couldn't figure it out. My buddy had to show him how to lock the slide back. I guess why I thought it was unsafe for my friend to hand it to him was because the cop was such an idiot about the gun. The gun was an FN 5.7 in a OC Blackhawk Serpa.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Do you have an example to base this "what if" on or is it just a "what if" ?

Refusing to do what an officer tells you to do with a loaded gun is a recipe for disaster.
    Breaking the "4 rules" simply because an officer told you to is also a recipe for disaster. If an officer wants me disarmed, I am more than happy to allow them to disarm me in a manner that is safe for both of us. LEO's need to consider the safety of everyone involved in a situation.

VIP Member
    It's not that complicated. If a cop asks you to do something, it's for a reason. Just do it! Do it smoothly, safely, and without making a noise. If he asks you to do something you don't want to do, you've probably already pissed him off. You are not in control. You do not have a position of advantage. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I was recently stopped for speeding in TX and I informed that I was carrying, the cop asked for and looked at my permit and that was the end of it, he really didn't seem to care about me and my gun, he went about his business of writing a ticket and that was that

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links