MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

This is a discussion on MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by gunthorp It's not that complicated. If a cop asks you to do something, it's for a reason. Just do it! Do it ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    It's not that complicated. If a cop asks you to do something, it's for a reason. Just do it! Do it smoothly, safely, and without making a noise. If he asks you to do something you don't want to do, you've probably already pissed him off. You are not in control. You do not have a position of advantage. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
    So if you got pulled over for speeding, and the cop had you pull your gun and hand it to them, you wouldn't have a problem with that? I have stated already that I would have complied, but would have reported it afterward. The officer presented no reason to disarm you, you gave him no reason to request you to do so, and he had you do it in an unsafe manner (you may be safe with it, but not everyone is you) instead of taking it from your holster himself. These are things I do not agree with and would have made know after the fact.

Just because an officer asks you to do things does not mean that he should be able to. Comply with him (within reason) at the scene, then speak to his authority afterward.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    It's not that complicated. If a cop asks you to do something, it's for a reason. Just do it! Do it smoothly, safely, and without making a noise. If he asks you to do something you don't want to do, you've probably already pissed him off. You are not in control. You do not have a position of advantage. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.
    So hand a loaded gun with one in the chamber to a police officer by the muzzle? You kidding me right now? That is for a reason? Gun safety advocates must love you.

VIP Member
    DontTreadOnI....You could complain all day about the officer disarming you during the stop, but if your state laws say he can, he doesn't have to give you a reason and your complaints based on that alone would go nowhere. Now if you want to let them know about the method, thats a different story and I agree with you. It would never happen here as described in this thread.
    Before I was LEO I had my CHL for a few years and was unfortunately stopped a couple of times, I was never disarmed but I knew because of my CHL class that they could have and I would have complied. I wouldn't take this as infringing on my rights. I was a good guy. The troopers were good guys...I'm the one that messed up.

Now as far as me....I have made stops on folks with CHLs and never felt the need to disarm them. This would only occur if they were in a more suspicious situation. I'm way more concerned about the non-CHL holder in more suspicious circumstances than the stop just for speeding. YMMV and each LEO's will too.
    If I was going to disarm someone as in this thread, they would be keeping their hands on the wheel until I opened the door with my left hand, they would put hands on head and get out of the car (alight for Guantes ) and I would disarm. I have an issue with a person that is stopped/detained handling their gun while disarming. Heaven forbid another officer shows up and sees this happening. It would just not be comfortable for me to have someone reach to their holster and clear leather if I wanted to disarm them for the stop.

this.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    "Personally I would not make such a request, I would take possession of the weapon myself after advising the driver to alight from the vehicle, then advising him of what my actions were going to be. That is if I decided to take possession of the weapon at all." {QUOTE} Guantes.......

....This......

OS
    Guantes likes this.
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Yeah, I thought about that, too. That's why, if disarmed while seated in my car, I'm handing the gun to the LEO on an open palm... If someone else sees the transfer of the weapon, it won't appear as though its a gun as much as it would handing it to him by the muzzle or the grip.

I really can't imagine a LEO asking me to put my hands on my weapon while I'm in the car... but if he did, you can bet it would be slowly, carefully, and in a manner where he can see that I cannot operate the weapon, and anyone else would not be able to assume it was a threatening object in my hand.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    DontTreadOnI....You could complain all day about the officer disarming you during the stop, but if your state laws say he can, he doesn't have to give you a reason and your complaints based on that alone would go nowhere. Now if you want to let them know about the method, thats a different story and I agree with you. It would never happen here as described in this thread.
    Before I was LEO I had my CHL for a few years and was unfortunately stopped a couple of times, I was never disarmed but I knew because of my CHL class that they could have and I would have complied. I wouldn't take this as infringing on my rights. I was a good guy. The troopers were good guys...I'm the one that messed up.

Now as far as me....I have made stops on folks with CHLs and never felt the need to disarm them. This would only occur if they were in a more suspicious situation. I'm way more concerned about the non-CHL holder in more suspicious circumstances than the stop just for speeding. YMMV and each LEO's will too.
    If I was going to disarm someone as in this thread, they would be keeping their hands on the wheel until I opened the door with my left hand, they would put hands on head and get out of the car (alight for Guantes ) and I would disarm. I have an issue with a person that is stopped/detained handling their gun while disarming. Heaven forbid another officer shows up and sees this happening. It would just not be comfortable for me to have someone reach to their holster and clear leather if I wanted to disarm them for the stop.

this.......
    I guess my main complaint would be for no reason the officer asking me to hand him my gun. By all means, if you are going to momentarily disarm me, have me get out of the vehicle and take the gun out yourself after telling me youre going to. At no point to I ever want to be holding a gun at a traffic stop around a LEO.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Senior Moderator
    really? You guys can't figure out a way to safely comply?
    It may be that they really arent smart enough to figure it out, in which case, they arent smart enough to carry a concealed handgun at all.

Its obvious that some may not have the proper training to safely carry.

It dosent take a rocket surgeon to figure this stuff out.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It may be that they really arent smart enough to figure it out, in which case, they arent smart enough to carry a concealed handgun at all.

Its obvious that some may not have the proper training to safely carry.

It dosent take a rocket surgeon to figure this stuff out.
    If we want to call intelligence into question I would start with the officer in the OP. There is no way I am handing a gun(That he is most likely totally unfamiliar with) loaded with one in the chamber muzzle first to some dude that most likely shoots a gun once a year during his requalification. Nor should any LEO in his/her right mind ask someone to do such a thing. Those of you preaching compliance with such an obviously silly request should not be calling into question the intelligence of others.
    Bubbiesdad likes this.

Administrator
    Rocket science....
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yea, I am handing my gun muzzle first to this guy....good luck with that.

Police Officer shoots himself in the foot (FUNNY) - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    If we want to call intelligence into question I would start with the officer in the OP. There is no way I am handing a gun(That he is most likely totally unfamiliar with) loaded with one in the chamber muzzle first to some dude that most likely shoots a gun once a year during his requalification. Nor should any LEO in his/her right mind ask someone to do such a thing. Those of you preaching compliance with such an obviously silly request should not be calling into question the intelligence of others.
    Given your response, what would you do?
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    Fortunately, I will never be with some of you guys when you get pulled over by the police. Hopefully, I won't be the next CHL he pulls over after he and his colleagues get done dealing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post

The intelligence I would call into question would be that of someone who could manage to get a ridiculous situation escalated into the realms of the sublime because he couldn't figure out how to hand over a gun without pointing it at himself.

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    I usually carry mine IWB in a kydex rig with kydex clips, so it would be fairly easy for me to remove both belt clips and hand over the holstered pistol, if requested to do so.

The one time I was stopped, I followed all of the recommended steps, including (mandatory) inform. When asked where "it" was, I told him but he did not ask to see it. In fact, he just said, "OK, thanks".
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

Senior Moderator
    Rocket Science+
    Brain Surgery =

Rocket Surgeon.

Not handing your gun to an officer that requests if for reasons that YOU beleive are justified is a recipe for disaster.

You dont know that officer, what he does, how much he shoots. For all you know he might be a SWAT officer...fact is, YOU dont know.

Nor does your opinion matter to an officer.Unless you have been in every single situation an officer might possibly encounter,or are a certified LEO, then YOU are not qualified to determine what an LEO should or should not do or that what he does is right or not right.

Silly request? Try telling that to a judge. Your cellmate might get a kick out that also.

Roon...you have a total of 7 posts here.We dont take to cop bashing here.You might notice that most are suggesting you simply comply.

If you arent real careful, you'll never make double digits on this forum.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Brain Science
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links