MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

This is a discussion on MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Roon So hand a loaded gun with one in the chamber to a police officer by the muzzle? You kidding me right ...

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roon View Post
    So hand a loaded gun with one in the chamber to a police officer by the muzzle? You kidding me right now? That is for a reason? Gun safety advocates must love you.
    What's love...what's love got...got to do with it?
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Given your response, what would you do?
    I have already stated that I will gladly let the officer disarm me himself in a way that ensures the safety of both of us. My issue is not with being disarmed in the name of officer security, it is in complying with an obviously unsafe request...regardless of whether or not it can be done without the barrel being pointed at yourself...you don't know how safe that officer is or where he is going to sweep that gun after taking it from you. He might unintentionally sweep you with the gun...you have no idea. Not my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Rocket Science+
    Brain Surgery =

Rocket Surgeon.

Not handing your gun to an officer that requests if for reasons that YOU beleive are justified is a recipe for disaster.
    The officer can have my gun, I just wont be handing it to him. He can pull me out of the car and disarm me....I think that is a perfectly reasonable compromise.

You dont know that officer, what he does, how much he shoots. For all you know he might be a SWAT officer...fact is, YOU dont know.
    You're right..I dont...so I would prefer to air on the side of caution and let the officer remove the gun from my person in the safest manner possible.

Nor does your opinion matter to an officer.Unless you have been in every single situation an officer might possibly encounter,or are a certified LEO, then YOU are not qualified to determine what an LEO should or should not do or that what he does is right or not right.
    I guess I am not concerned if my opinion matters to an officer or not. No judge on planet earth is going to uphold an officer arresting a person that would prefer the officer disarm them instead. In fact said person might even get a pay day out of it.

Silly request? Try telling that to a judge. Your cellmate might get a kick out that also.
    Why would I go to jail for preferring the officer disarm me themselves?

Roon...you have a total of 7 posts here.We dont take to cop bashing here.
    Please point me to my post in which I was "cop bashing"? I was simply stating my preference for the officer to disarm me themselves, much in the way Guantes described.

You might notice that most are suggesting you simply comply.
    Quite a few people are of the opinion that complying with an officers request to hand a cop your gun by the muzzle is a good idea? I suppose you are entitled to that opinion...forgive me if I don't share it.

If you arent real careful, you'll never make double digits on this forum.
    If you can point me to where I have broken a rule I will gladly apologize.....

VIP Member
    OK, reality check.

Just what do you think is going to happen when an LEO senses noncompliance. I know you pay his salary. I know he works for you. Telling him how to do his job during a stop is a quick way to sublime.

-Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I have already stated that I will gladly let the officer disarm me himself in a way that ensures the safety of both of us. My issue is not with being disarmed in the name of officer security, it is in complying with an obviously unsafe request...regardless of whether or not it can be done without the barrel being pointed at yourself...you don't know how safe that officer is or where he is going to sweep that gun after taking it from you. He might unintentionally sweep you with the gun...you have no idea. Not my cup of tea.

Respectfully, Just take the pistol out and have the muzzle to your right, grip to your away, and hand the officer the weapon and alert him, or her that it is loaded. Although the sweep could be a possibility, I strongly believe that you'd have a better chance of getting struck by lighting then being shot by a LEO with your own gun, under those circumstances. I could be wrong, stranger things have happened.

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    Respectfully, Just take the pistol out and have the muzzle to your right, grip to your away, and hand the officer the weapon and alert him, or her that it is loaded. Although the sweep could be a possibility, I strongly believe that you'd have a better chance of getting struck by lighting then being shot by a LEO with your own gun, under those circumstances. I could be wrong, stranger things have happened.

I understand how unlikely it is, but quite a few people that have been shot by accidental discharges thought it was a long shot as well. My point is simply this - why on earth is it so difficult for an LEO to simply disarm a person....this takes into account both the officers and citizens safety. You avoid any nonsense with backup arriving and not knowing what is going on and any nonsense that could happen as a result of negligence on the officers part. I guess I just dont understand the reasoning for the officers in the OP's request, I just see no reason that the officer could not have disarmed the individual themselves. I am open to hearing legitimate reasons for the request that I might not have thought of though.

I understand your concern. I would consider it reasonable to "request" that the officer perform the disarm himself. Barring an acceptance of that request, I believe that compliance would put one in less jeopardy in a number of ways, than further attempts to sway his action.

Re the sweeping, there is no guarantee that you will not be swept, regardless of the disarm method.

You must decide what is best for you, but I would weigh my actions carefully.

I think the method of disarm mentioned in the OP would be extremely rare.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    OK, reality check.

Just what do you think is going to happen when an LEO senses noncompliance. I know you pay his salary. I know he works for you. Telling him how to do his job during a stop is a quick way to sublime.
    Me paying his salary or him working for me has nothing to do with it as far as I am concerned. I am not "that guy". Safety is all I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I understand your concern. I would consider it reasonable to "request" that the officer perform the disarm himself. Barring an acceptance of that request, I believe that compliance would put one in less jeopardy in a number of ways, than further attempts to sway his action.

Re the sweeping, there is no guarantee that you will not be swept, regardless of the disarm method.

You must decide what is best for you, but I would weigh my actions carefully.
    Request is the operative word in that scenario I think. So long as you respectfully ask and explain your reasons for asking I can't see an officer turning you down. You just don't demand an officer do something because of x y or z.

Im retired LEO and we hav ccw in nc. When i approached a vehicle the cc person by law has to inform me hes got that weapon. When they told me i always responded thankyou and asked for their driver license and vehicle reg. In nc when we run ur DL info it will show that u hav that ccw license. I was not worried abt the armed citzen that had a ccw permit, im concerned abt the criminal with a weapon. I never asked to see their weapon and i always told them to leave it where it was. You can also carry a weapon in plain view in nc and hav seen citzens hav their pistol laying on the seat r put it on the dash, thats ok too and u dont need a ccw permit to do that. Always hav both hands on the steering wheel when we approach the vehicle and inform us that u hav a ccw permit and their is a weapon in the car. Thats the best way to do things since most leo are on high alert when they approach a vehicle. Dangerous business...just understand that much.....
    gottabkiddin likes this.

I understand where you're coming from, but like it's been stated earlier in the thread; ignore or not comply with an officers request is a one way ticket. Your job during the stop should only be with complete compliance in order to not escalate the situation to the extent that the officer gets that feeling in his or her gut that you are not going to cooperate. That's when it's going to get tricky for you. I'll say that in my 40 + years on planet earth. I've only had one bad experience with law enforcement, and that was all my fault. I was young, and I liked to partake of a few beers here and there.... An officer ask me to stay clear of a situation that had taken place and I questioned it.............. After I bailed out of jail, I went home a tad bit the wiser for it.

Anyway, just a little friendly info to chew on... Take care.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

I understand where you're coming from, but like it's been stated earlier in the thread; ignore or not comply with an officers request is a one way ticket. Your job during the stop should only be with complete compliance in order to not escalate the situation to the extent that the officer gets that feeling in his or her gut that you are not going to cooperate. That's when it's going to get tricky for you. I'll say that in my 40 + years on planet earth. I've only had one bad experience with law enforcement, and that was all my fault. I was young, and I liked to partake of a few beers here and there.... An officer ask me to stay clear of a situation that had taken place and I questioned it.............. After I bailed out of jail, I went home a tad bit the wiser for it.

Anyway, just a little friendly info to chew on... Take care.
    Thanks for the info .

I don't want to be taken the wrong way, I am in no way advocating being confrontational with an LEO....I am simply suggesting that saying something along the lines of "I would be more comfortable with the situation if you were to disarm me yourself officer", should not be taken as non compliance...I think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to suggest, and if the officer insists I would comply and address the situation through the proper channels.

Thanks for the info .

I don't want to be taken the wrong way, I am in no way advocating being confrontational with an LEO....I am simply suggesting that saying something along the lines of "I would be more comfortable with the situation if you were to disarm me yourself officer", should not be taken as non compliance...I think that is a perfectly reasonable thing to suggest, and if the officer insists I would comply and address the situation through the proper channels.

I'd say that's reasonable enough, but I'd also add that, depending on the kinda day the officer might be having, could have something to do with how the request is perceived... Just a thought.

The written medium of communication often requires greater effort and exchange to establish what page everyone is on.

Personally, assuming I felt that someone should be disarmed, I cannot imagine using the method in the OP.
    gunthorp likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member

Exactly.

The only way a Terry disarm will be 100% safe is if the CCW is unloaded beforehand. But messing with spring tension and dynamite behind the steering wheel is a greater recipe for disaster.

-Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Links