MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

This is a discussion on MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My friend (ex-military, but irrelevant) got pulled over last week by a LEO for going a few over the speed limit. My buddy said the ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

MY CCW friend pulled over by cops.. unusual LEO encounter. What would you do?

My friend (ex-military, but irrelevant) got pulled over last week by a LEO for going a few over the speed limit. My buddy said the officer was acting like a real jerk (my buddy is a jerk, too, so who knows if it was my buddy's atittude). Anyway, my friend handed him his CCW and his license.

The LEO asked if he had a firearm on his person and my friend said "yes." The cop then asked if he had one in the chamber and my friend said yes. The cop (which I feel was a stupid decision on his part) asked my friend to unholster and hand him the weapon (what if my friend was a BG and shot him?) When my friend unholstered, the cop said to turn the gun around and told my friend to hold the muzzle and hand it to him grip first.

I'm sorry, but I would have never done this....just simply turn my loaded firearm around facing me and hand it to someone. LEO or not, what if his finger or glove slipped into the trigger guard out of nervousness or accident?

What do you guys think? I would have said "sir, I feel uncomfortable with that. I understand it may make you feel uncomfortable for me to have the firearm, so I'm willing for you to have my hands and place in my cuffs only long enough to remove the firearm from me while we speak."

Anyway, the cop then gave him a warning and opened my friends back door and set the gun on his backseat and said have a good day. Thoughts?
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

2. Remove Ads

side note: I think the way the officer returned the weapon was a great and safe method.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them..."
    -George Washington

I'd just do whatever the LEO asked me to do. Anything but immmediate, full compliance will raise the officer's threat level meter to "high".
    Tzadik likes this.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

im not going to have the barrell of my gun pointed in my direction. I'll comply in any other way possible though. I'm not the defiant type in the least, but not gonna happen.
    Chad Rogers likes this.
    -George Washington

sgb
    I'm 100% against informing an Officer that I'm carrying and only do so when absolutely required by law. Only a very small percentage of LEO's are actually gun savvy, guess what profession has the highest rate of negligent discharges?

Any Officer fearful of an armed populace needs to find another line of work.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Moderator
    I'm sorry, but I would have never done this....just simply turn my loaded firearm around facing me and hand it to someone. LEO or not, what if his finger or glove slipped into the trigger guard out of nervousness or accident?
    Do you have an example to base this "what if" on or is it just a "what if" ?

Refusing to do what an officer tells you to do with a loaded gun is a recipe for disaster.
    tcon67 and Tzadik like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Everybody has their quirks, including cops. You could hand it to him by the muzzle without having the muzzle pointing at you.

For me it would not be a problem. I engage the external safety, grab the muzzle and hand it to him.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Just sitting here and doing the handover, I can roll the gun (M&P 9c)out of the holster, turning it upside down and holding it with the fingers on the outside bottom of the trigger guard thumb over top of slide. In this grip, I could hand the officer the weapon grip first and the muzzle would be facing the dash/windshield.Maybe this would have been satisfactory. Any well trained LEO should understand the dangers of covering yourself with a muzzle.

VIP Member
    Bad guys by definition do not have CHLs. Nothing the officer requested was unreasonable, or unsafe in my estimation. It is a simple matter to unholster and hand the pistol across the front of one's torso without pointing at anyone, and then handing it to him grip first. Much safer than nervously fumbling around with the mag release and slide with a police officer watching.

Quote Originally Posted by trainercb View Post
    My friend (ex-military, but irrelevant) got pulled over last week by a LEO for going a few over the speed limit...

When my friend unholstered, the cop said to turn the gun around and told my friend to hold the muzzle and hand it to him grip first...

Thoughts?
    I would have asked the officer if it was OK to hand him the gun with muzzle pointed down rather than toward me.
    msgt/ret likes this.

When my friend unholstered, the cop said to turn the gun around and told my friend to hold the muzzle and hand it to him grip first.

What do you guys think?
    I don't think it would be difficult to hand over the gun butt first with the barrel pointed in a safe direction. Seems a non issue to me. Hardly worth entering into a roadside p---ing contest with a cop over.
    RoadKill and rolyat63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    ...guess what profession has the highest rate of negligent discharges?
    Comapared to what, bus drivers? nurses?
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I would have done exactly what I was asked to by the officer (In reason of course, I wouldnt have had the muzzle facing directly at my, and would have expressed that concern to him), then, after the stop, would have called the local law office and gave them a full report on what had happened and why I was dissatisfied with the actions of this police officer.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

You will never win a roadside debate with a LEO during a stop. Comply and keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.

well if your freind was a B.G he would'nt shown a permit,just the gun,and he probally would have been compliant,and if it is a safe weapon I'll grab it anyway he wanted,understand he has a family to go home to also,would'nt want some person handing me their weapon muzzle first and putting one in my chest,face,and say it was an accident because hewas nervous,if he was ex-military,why would he have an attitude with an officer anyway,we all had to answer to someone.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links