Where are the Secret Service?

This is a discussion on Where are the Secret Service? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just saw a video expose' on Herman Cain. He is obviously running for President, but in the wider angle shots, I saw no Secret ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Where are the Secret Service?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Where are the Secret Service?

I just saw a video expose' on Herman Cain. He is obviously running for President, but in the wider angle shots, I saw no Secret Service protection. Maybe they made it a point to NOT be in the camera, but I would have thought with random shots, they would be all over. What am I missing?

Here is the video I am referring to. The Cain part starts about 0:55 seconds in.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/sara...-2012-14677410
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

Presidential candidates do get the protection of the SS. You would seldom see them in the camera. I have a friend whose son-in-law was in the SS and had been assigned to the protection of the president. I was informed that the president has 'hundreds' of SS around him at all times. There are those in suits, some on roof tops, some dressed like the crowd, etc. I do not believe that those running for president are afforded the same depth of security, but are pretty well covered.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Who gets secret service protection? United States Secret Service: Protection
    "Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election. As defined in statute, the term "major presidential and vice presidential candidates" means those individuals identified as such by the Secretary of Homeland Security after consultation with an advisory committee consisting of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, the majority and minority leaders of the Senate, and one additional member selected by the other members of the committee."
    baren likes this.

VIP Member
    The USSS only protects "major" candidates. Perhaps Mr. Cain hasn't reached whatever thresholds they have established for determining "major" status. Or, perhaps, they are simply out of frame - there wouldn't be anything approaching a Presidential level detail in any case.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

From Mike1956's post......

Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days of a general presidential election

We're still a year away from next November....
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member
    Bingo.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Obama got one sooner than 120 days, but there were very specific death threats against him. If Cain wins a few primaries, you may see some well-dressed young men by his side.

I've seen a couple of suspects in Cain's videos, but I assumed they were private security. Probably on his dime.

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    The process is not even close to the point where normally the USSS would start protecting. Title 18 USC 3056.

Obama was given an exception, IIRC, because he is black.

But 120 days would not have helped Bobby Kennedy.

None of them have been nominated by any party yet as their "presidential candidate". Then, they get protection. I don't think the Primaries count.... although I could be wrong... I don't believe they do.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Lead Moderator
    Used to be that they would pick up protection when they qualified for the federal matching funds.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar
    Title 18 USC 3056 (a) (7):

(7) Major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates and, within 120 days of the general Presidential election, the spouses of such candidates. As used in this paragraph, the term “major Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates” means those individuals identified as such by the Secretary of Homeland Security after consultation with an advisory committee consisting of the Speaker of the House of Representatives, the minority leader of the House of Representatives, the majority and minority leaders of the Senate, and one additional member selected by the other members of the committee. The Committee shall not be subject to the Federal Advisory Committee Act (5 App. U.S.C. 2).

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Rogers View Post
    The process is not even close to the point where normally the USSS would start protecting. Title 18 USC 3056.

Obama was given an exception, IIRC, because he is black.

But 120 days would not have helped Bobby Kennedy.
    From the way I read it,the 120 days is for the Spouses of the main candidates
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    From the way I read it,the 120 days is for the Spouses of the main candidates
    "Major presidential and vice presidential candidates, and their spouses within 120 days"

And means it includes both. So the 120 day limit applies to candidates and their spouses. However, we're still over a year away from the election. 120 days prior would put the time frame for starting coverage to around next July.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Chad Rogers quotes "and, ". highvoltage quotes ", and". The location of the comma makes a big difference. If the first quote is correct, I must agree with dukalmighty's interpretation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links