law enforcement dispatchers

This is a discussion on law enforcement dispatchers within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are you (all) still using 10- codes?! IMO the most important thing for dispatch is to get as much good information as possible when the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: law enforcement dispatchers

Are you (all) still using 10- codes?!

IMO the most important thing for dispatch is to get as much good information as possible when the call comes in. IDK if you're working the phones as part of dispatch.
    "Words can be as lethal as bullets; Choose them carefully, Aim them well & Use them sparingly."

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yeah, we use 10 codes.

Our term is different. It is " is your radio secure?".

That tells us that its not gonna be good.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    we still use 10 codes, same ones as Metro PD in our area, it was a good expirience, mostly alot of status checks and a decent domestic call, but other than that a quiet shift, Never realized how much computer work comes after I get on and say Control: 237 will be out at (insert address here) on a (insert whatever here). Will be a heck of a lot more specific with them from now on because i never realized how much info they need for their job. I'm used to marking out on a call and then handling it and marking back in without filing dispatch in, will fill them in better now
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Administrator
    We don't use 10 codes, we use another system completely. It keeps the Looky loo's with scanners to a minimum at critical incidents. There is a big push nationwide to just use plain speech, I'm all for that.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    I second that motion. Plain speech leaves little to the imagination. There is too much difference in 10 codes between depts,even local.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    I have a dumb question (small hijack alert)....

How do I go about testing an out of area cell phone to insure it has proper 911 service? If my phone is from Michigan and we are in Ohio will I get the local 911? How do I test it without angering the dispatcher?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

VIP Member
    Not sure how you would check in town, short of contacting the local PD about it. I know a lot of SP agency's use a different numbers on the highways. In VA it is *77 for the State Police.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post

How do I go about testing an out of area cell phone to insure it has proper 911 service? If my phone is from Michigan and we are in Ohio will I get the local 911? How do I test it without angering the dispatcher?
    The network should direct your call to the local 911.

I don't know the exact science behind it, but I am certain that your 911 call gets routed to the appropriate dispatch center based on which cell tower your phone is using.

My wife was 30 miles away on the highway one day (I was at home). We were talking on our cell phones when someone started trying to run her off the road. She told me where she was, gave me a description of the vehicle, and told me she had to hang up so she could drive defensively. I called 911, and when I told the dispatcher where the incident was taking place, she said "Weird. I wonder why your call was routed to us. Let me transfer you to the closer station." I explained that I was calling for my wife, and that we were not in the vehicle together. Then it all made sense - your 911 call automatically goes to the closest call center.
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

VIP Member
    OK, thanks guys.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I second that motion. Plain speech leaves little to the imagination. There is too much difference in 10 codes between depts,even local.
    But those differences can be so entertaining! When I was a rookie dispatcher Maryland State Police called me and said they had (our ten code for officer needs emergency assistance) on Interstate 270 and didn't have anyone close. So I am sending the world and ask if they know if any weapons are involved, how many suspects etc. Turns out our code for officer needs emergency assistance was their ten code for a disabled vehicle.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Cell phones will always get the local 911

I found out the hard way... I got a call from a 911 operator in WV as I was checking into a hotel. Earlier in the day I had reported a situation to 911 in my home area in VA, and then my phone "pocket dialed" the last number called when I was in WV. It wasn't a problem once I explained what had happened.

The only confusion I've had is when I'm close to our county line and I get the wrong county's dispatcher; but they've always transfered me to the correct one.
    The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.

George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links