More Little Old Lady Security at Airports

This is a discussion on More Little Old Lady Security at Airports within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just can't take it anymore. The Brits foil a terrorist plot to down airliners, and what do we do? No liquids or gels in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Little Old Lady Security at Airports

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar

More Little Old Lady Security at Airports

I just can't take it anymore. The Brits foil a terrorist plot to down airliners, and what do we do? No liquids or gels in carry-on luggage. For anyone! I was listening to a report on the radio that even the plane crews can't carry any liquids or gels on the plane! What idiocy. The crew can take the plane down anytime they want, they don't need explosives to do it.

Back when all this post 9/11 security was put in place, I asked why they allowed glass bottles of liquids in carry-on, as the broken glass would be a deadly weapon, and the fluid could be anything. I never got an answer on the glass question, but was told that the screeners could tell the difference between water based liquids and other liquids. Apparently this wasn't true, either. And modern explosives can be molded to look like any object, so why not take everything that appears to be plastic?

To top it all off, everyone arrested so far has been a young Muslim male of Middle Eastern desent (once again). But everyone who flies is now assumed guilty of being a terrorist until proven innocent, instead of profiling to concentrate our limited resources on finding terrorists (as the Isreali airlines and airports do, very successfully).

I guess I just resent all this money being wasted, without any increase in real security, and insulting our collective intelligence at the same time.

Oh, the title of this rant refers to a conversation I had with the former head of security for multiple nuclear sites when I asked him about the post 9/11 security at airports. Little old lady security is doing things that make LOL's feel better, but don't really increase security.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Your money and mine has purchased our countries right to say we do not racially profile!
    So an 80 year old woman has to be subject to an airport search. SHEESH!

I’m with you and I am also very sick and tired of worrying more about what people think and say about us than doing what we all know is right in the first place!

I think Israel is demonstrating that there comes a time when enough is enough!

Thanks, I feel better now!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    It is really sad when 'political correctness' has more control over our society than good old fashioned...PROFILING.........

I have a big problem with a government that is more interested in being PC & protecting people who want to harm us! I don't care if profiling occurs.......I want profiling to occur!!

I want our enemies to know that we are watching them & will stop them.......instead they are laughing their collective butts off, while we strip search grandma with her knitting needles & let the suspicious looking Islamist extremist do as he pleases. We can't profile though, we might offend. I don't care about hurting someone's feelings when it comes to the security of our country.

Don't take me wrong, I don't want Americans rights abused. But aren't we abusing 'granny's' rights by searching her?.......So why not abuse the terrorist's????
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Not for nothing, but...the Israeli's used to only consider Arab men as possible suspects for suicide/homicide bombings. Then the Hezbos started using women and kids to do it. Think AQ won't get the same idea soon?
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    Yah Israel, I agree about the profiling thing. Hum... if I only have the time and recourses to search 10 of the 200 people boarding an airplane. Doesn’t make sense to pick out the young Middle Eastern males that talk as if they had a mouth full of phlegm? As apposed to picking out 80 year old grandmothers?
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

TSA has a documented history of picking airport personnel's family, women and CHILDREN for "extra screening." What they have in common is that they generally won't complain about it. My wife is a blond haired, green eyed business woman. She is constantly chosen for extra screening (about 1/3 of the time she flies, including once when she was hand-searched by a male.) Recently,we were both chosen for a hand search along with two children (eight and nine years old). Good job, TSA!

Well, I think the government has gone abit "overboard" on these searches, etc. I agree, they should start profiling middle-eastern people, as it seems they are the culprits. Not to say they couldnt enlist some Anglo into their midst, but sofar, it seems anyone is a suspect, including 80 year old Grannies. Just wonder how many TSA agents newhires now?

For me.... I dont plan on flying anymore, unless it is an Emergency. I dont ever look to see the day that I'll be searched pumping Gas, but you never know??
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

TSA and Homeland Security is a joke. No question about it.

The headlines in the morning's paper should have read: "21 Terrorist shot and killed in an attempted plot to hijack planes". End of story. The next ones would think about it the next time. How many Hijackings do you see taking place in Russia...?

The sad thing is that we will accept any restrictions as long as they are imposed slowly.

Just like our Second Amendment rights which are eroding slowly, first they put up screening areas and make you walk through them while they X-Ray your carry on.

Then they start making you take off your shoes.

Now they ban liquids and gels.

I wonder how long before they institute the full body cavity search.

The terrorists hate our freedoms. Their goal is to destroy them. It appears that they are winning.

I agree that profiling is an important LEO tool. I mean, if the suspect is described as a fat (but extremely good looking ) white guy, I am not going to be offended when I am questioned.

I hate political correctness!

Racial profiling happens every day. Just apply at a school and you wil see. Ive been racaly profiled alot in my life.

It is really sad when 'political correctness' has more control over our society than good old fashioned...PROFILING.........

I have a big problem with a government that is more interested in being PC & protecting people who want to harm us! I don't care if profiling occurs.......I want profiling to occur!!

I want our enemies to know that we are watching them & will stop them.......instead they are laughing their collective butts off, while we strip search grandma with her knitting needles & let the suspicious looking Islamist extremist do as he pleases. We can't profile though, we might offend. I don't care about hurting someone's feelings when it comes to the security of our country.

Don't take me wrong, I don't want Americans rights abused. But aren't we abusing 'granny's' rights by searching her?.......So why not abuse the terrorist's????
    Preach on my Brother!

Center of the World Ma! Center of the World!
    I was reading our local paper “Pravda of the Plains” and it refered to some of those arrested as British citizens of Pakistani decent. What is wrong with this picture? Didn’t some if not all of their subway bombers fall into this same category? I ran across this quote the other day:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes
    here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us,
    he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is
    an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or
    birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's
    becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an
    American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he
    is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We
    have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but
    one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room
    for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Teddy Roosevelt, what a breath of fresh air it would be to have him back with us.
    "Hell of a thing, killin' a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."
    - William Munny (Clint Eastwood in the Unfrogivin)

“The graveyards are full of indispensable men.” – Napoleon Bonaparte

“My Idea of a fair fight is beating baby seals with a club”

I am going to have to agree that the terrorists are already doing what they intended to do. They want us gone but they want us to be scared and to take away a lot of what we have. They are taking away our freedom and we are letting them. I dont know about anyone else but the way it is going the airlines are going to be getting hit harder and harder because I for one will not be flying unless I have to, not because im scared of being blown up on a plane but because i dont think i should have to give up my freedoms to ride on one. If i were the airlines i would be outraged by all the new rules and be mad because as it is they are loosing so much money and these new rules are going to chase away even more people. But hey that is just me ranting again

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    An update from my wife who flew home on the red-eye Thursday night/Friday morning. She was told to get there 3 hours ahead of time in order to make sure she would make her flight. After discarding a bunch of liquid/gel makeup stuff, it took her 10 minutes to get through security, as there were 3 peopel in line in front of her at about 5 PM in San Francisco Airport. So she cooled her heels for almost 3 hours until they started boarding, at which time TSA rescreened (by hand) carry on luggage just in case someone bought a bottle of liquid inside the sterile area of the concourse (Gee, I didn't know terrorists were working concessions there and selling liquid explosives)! But it gets better, because they only rescreened every other passenger, with no criteria other than every other person in line.

And what was the first thing the crew gave the passengers when they finally did get on board? Yep, bottled water.

I'll be flying in November for some trips that I've already purchased non-refundable tickets for, but that will be it until I see someone with a brain running TSA.

I also noticed during the past two days that not one person interviewing Chertoff or any of his minions would ask one question about why no profiling or why potentially dangerous liquids were allowed on flights since 9/11, even though a similiar plot was foiled a few years back.

If (or when) the terrorists start recruiting females, the elderly or non-Middle Eastern desent how about we just check documentation before people are allowed to buy tickets, let alone get on airplanes?

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I love the statements. Brothers please be a little more specific as you may not know that the air marshals were transfered into the TSA recently. Ohhh the searches? There now searching FAMs before they enter security. A gun, knife, bullets (ect) are ok, but a bottle of water is grounds for termination.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links