Teenagers Airsoft & Police

This is a discussion on Teenagers Airsoft & Police within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe work out a deal with the concealed carry sash people to come out with a model that says "TOY GUNS", then make your your ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Teenagers Airsoft & Police

Maybe work out a deal with the concealed carry sash people to come out with a model that says "TOY GUNS", then make your your kids wear 'em.
    INccwchris likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

2. Remove Ads

Buy a cheap $5 rifle sock. When not actually in the woods playing, the rifle is carried in the sock.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Not just LE. If an armed citizen sees a teen with a gun and perceives it as a threat their reaction may be less metered than LE.

Just an off the cuff suggestion but if a teen playing airsoft startles an unsuspecting person not involved in their game maybe drop gun and say something to the effect of "toy gun" and show empty hands?

It may seem a bit overboard but with concealed carry becoming more common and the vast majority of carriers seldom training more than to get their permit it'd be a shame to not at least consider it.
    Dude....it's New Jersey....there are no armed citizens....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    I’m looking for some advice I can give my 15-year-old son. He’s been using airsoft with his friends in the woods. A co-worker just told me a story where his son and friends recently came out of the woods to find several of their local police with weapons drawn at them. When my co-worker got a chance to talk with one of the officer’s the officer said he has seen non-airsoft guns with orange painted barrels and they were not about to take any chances. OK, I can see the officer’s point.
    I understand the officer very well. Do any of you remember the forum member who painted his AK pistol's muzzle orange and walked around with it slung across his body? It did not take too long time before police officers approached him.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It is the general attitude of the people living there and LE towards firearms.
    You are right, people in some states are more gun friendly than in others. However, I do not think this time it is only about it. Now, this is not the case because the OP’s son plays most of the time on private property, but what would you do if a group of unknown teenagers/adults approached you on the street with guns in their hands? I said "guns" because sometimes it is almost impossible to see the difference between an airsoft and a real firearm.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

You want to play airsoft, you do it indoors; it's a little less common now, but unfinished basements tend to be perfect for this, and they can sweep up and reuse the plastic BBs once or twice too. The exception to this is if you are on private property that cannot be seen from other private property or public property. I'm also very much in agreement with if they see the cops the guns get dropped and the hands stay out of the pockets. Calling the local PD ahead of time, doesn't rule out a MWAG response, but it does reduce the odds a little bit; being good neighbors and explaining what you're doing and that they aren't real to some of the folks nearby that like to watch through the mini-blinds is probably going to go a little bit further. Now calling the local PD and having an officer give some advice to these boys first hand might make a strong impression toward encouraging them to use the airsoft guns responsibly.

Just because what you're doing is legal doesn't mean the sheep aren't going to call the cops on you, and your 15 year old son who you describe to carry a typical teenage attitude probably isn't going to be in the best frame of mind to explain that in a professional manner if the cops stop him. I'm not saying it's right at all, we can OC in my state and I do it from time to time, but I'm also not doing it where it's likely to prompt a MWAG call, and if it does I'm of a mindset when I OC that I expect to have to handle some level of hassle resulting from the uneducated. I may not like it, but I do accept the fact that my likes wants beliefs and values are not the same as everybody else's, hence needing to carry in the first place to defend against those who do not value my life.

Glock Certified Armorer

Too many people nowadays see anything that looks like a gun as being the real thing,it's not like when I was a kid over 40 years ago when kids running around with bb guns and cap guns was normal,there are kids with real guns robbing and killing people,there are also videos by "BANGERS" instructing other bangers how to remove the orange tip so your stuff looks real for robbing and intimidating people.There are also Bad Guys that figured out painting a real gun orange around the muzzle may get them enough time to get off a shot at a cop.Everybody shooting
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Unfortunately, it's a great way to get shot...keep it indoor or in the backyard.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    My police department seems to be rather gun friendly. I had to get printed a couple of weeks ago for my Florida permit. The office told me everyone in town should own a gun.
    see what they do if they catch you carrying that gun

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    see what they do if they catch you carrying that gun
    They would do their job and uphold the law as they should.

I don't have a problem with this cops actions, she was about to use a 2000 pound battering ram on the vehicle he and his wife were riding in. Good shoot in my opinion, the consequences are all on her.

...I'll bet that lady frequents McDonalds too!
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Call the cops or have your kid call the cops and let them know where they will be using their airsoft gear. My 15 year old and his buddies all airsoft in the same unused area of vacant property, the local cops know and don't have a problem with it. I think they would rather have them shooting plastic pellets at each other than shop lifting or running around vandalizing property.
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Yeah, make sure you stress to him that he should follow police commands as if his life depended on it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I have to add my 2 cents here. Another thing I would stress is for your teens to learn some gun safety with their airsoft guns. Those "toys" can be an excellent way to instill good habits, or a good way to allow them to instill their own terrible habits.

I used to play airsoft with some of the teen and pre-teen boys at my church. Most of these kids' parents had real guns, but the kids had no experience with the real ones. They would break every rule about gun safety you could imagine with these airsoft guns. I tried and tried to talk to these kids about treating those like real guns but they didn't take me seriously.

Then one day this 11 year old sticks his airsoft pistol right in my face and laughs. I told him that was not funny and he needed to rethink his attitude towards guns. He shouted "You worry too much, its not loaded!" then he pulled the trigger. I felt a very sharp pain on my forehead, put my hand up there and wiped off blood. His "unloaded" gun had just bloodied up my forehead. You should have seen the look on the kid's face. He didn't know what to say. I didn't get mad, but I took it as an opportunity to teach him some lessons, which for once he gladly listened to me. As I cleaned the blood off of my face and kept some pressure on my forehead, I asked him what would have happened had the airsoft pellet hit my eye instead of my forehead, since I had already taken off my safety goggles since we were essentially done with our game when this incident happened. Then I asked him what would have happened if he had been using a real gun and made the same mistake of thinking it was unloaded, pointed it at somebody's head and pulled the trigger?

Since many of the parents were around when this happened, they also saw and began to rethink their attitudes. I haven't seen most of those kids in years. But I believe they all learned a valuable lesson, at my expense. Many of those kids are approaching 21 by this point and could probably buy their own guns. I hope they remember that lesson.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have to add my 2 cents here. Another thing I would stress is for your teens to learn some gun safety with their airsoft guns. Those "toys" can be an excellent way to instill good habits, or a good way to allow them to instill their own terrible habits.
    That is excellent advise and why I am fundimentally against my son playing with airsofts, but I gave in for some other reasons. To me, there is only 1 reason to point a gun at somebody and playing a game is not the reason.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links