Teenagers Airsoft & Police

This is a discussion on Teenagers Airsoft & Police within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; my sugestion from many years of paintball and a few run ins with the cops.. as long as it is legel to play where they ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Teenagers Airsoft & Police

my sugestion from many years of paintball and a few run ins with the cops..

as long as it is legel to play where they are, call the local dispatcher and give them the heads up, IE: hay, we will be playing airsoft at 555 main street to day from 1 to 5, so if you get any call about kids with gun in this area, dont freak out,, this is my cell if you need to call me"...

the locals are happy with that...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    That is excellent advise and why I am fundimentally against my son playing with airsofts, but I gave in for some other reasons. To me, there is only 1 reason to point a gun at somebody and playing a game is not the reason.
    Well, I have no problem with people shooting each other with airsoft guns. But I think they should learn the 4 rules of gun safety and apply them. The only difference is, when playing you may point the gun at your enemy because your goal is to destroy them. But until you are ready to destroy your enemy, you need to keep your finger off the trigger. For example, that incident that happened to me would have never happened had these kids been following the 4 rules because I was no longer an enemy target. The game was over, people had taken their goggles off, and he shouldn't have been pointing a gun at me, loaded or unloaded. And I like to add 1 additional rule with airsoft.. Don't shoot people on the bare skin at point blank range, even if the game is still on. Those things have muzzle velocities of 400 fps or more. Sure, at 5 feet they just sting a bit. But at point blank range, they break the skin.

More often than not, these kids would be running around holding their guns with their finger on the trigger, no matter how much I tried to get them to put their finger on the side in the ready position until ready to fire. I wouldn't be surprised if they had multiple accidental discharges while running around. Fortunately with airsoft nobody probably noticed or got hurt as a result.

My daughter has an airsoft gun, but at the moment she only uses it to plink soda cans in the back yard with me. (I use a steel BB gun) but I'm constantly getting onto her about putting the safety on when not firing, keeping her finger off the trigger, keeping it pointed in a safe direction.

One of the reasons I was comfortable letting her shoot a real gun for the first time at the range recently was because I had already spent a lot of time with her and her airsoft gun enforcing these safety habits. In fact, there was no need for me to even go over those safety drills with her when we began. I just told her all of the same safety rules apply that we use with her airsoft gun.

However, if I took a group of "airsoft kids" to the gun range I would have a serious problem because even though they would be consciously aware that these are real guns and not airsoft guns, they have already formed bad habits of treating guns like toys.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

VIP Member
    I'm all for airsoft guns, cap guns, toy guns, etc. I had them, my son has them.
    He is 8 and understands the difference between toy and real. He knows what he can and can't do.

The most important thing with this topic is that parents need to educate their kids on using them. This needs to include not taking off the orange tip, not using them in a manner which will calculate alarm--such as acting like you are holding a hostage, acting like a gangsta, etc. There is a big difference in seeing a group kids playing "army", cops/robbers, etc than 1 kid acting strange with the gun.
    And for heaven's sake...........if they are confronted by the police...DROP the immediately, tell them not to worry about breaking it, scratching it, etc...DROP IT IMMEDIATELY. If they have an airsoft in their waistband...DON'T RAISE THEIR SHIRT!!! If its in their pocket...DO NOT REACH IN THEIR POCKETS. Its better to follow the officer's instructions, no matter if they get cuffed, or just contacted hands on and frisked, etc....tell them "I have and airsoft gun in my pocket", etc

I can refer everyone to my post 2 years ago when I almost shot the 11 yr old that was pulling his stainless semi-auto S&W replica out of his pocket as I was exiting my patrol car when I got sent on a kid with a gun call and acting very erratically (pointing it at people, had it tucked in front waistband, etc)

I almost shot an 11 year old boy
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    I think our world has gone crazy. I'd like to point the finger at one side or the other and honestly be able to blame them but I really can't.

I think it's just crazy that a parent has to worry about their kid getting shot by police while playing airsoft. It's absolutely crazy from every angle I look at it.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    It sounds to me like you dislike LEOs, I am sure you have your reasons; whatever they are. Have you ever heard the saying "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

"... Rachel Silva, who was 28 at the time, had a blood alcohol level of 0.15 two hours after the incident and tested positive for marijuana and amphetamines in her system, which the defense contends were methamphetamines. She had also been driving on a suspended license "; very nice lady, right?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I played airsoft for years though not as a kid nor in public. Mostly what we did was larger organized games and the police were notified ahead of time where the game would happen etc. The biggest thing for kids to understand with airsoft is that most people just see a gun and perceive it as such. Treat them just like a real firearm in transport etc and there isn't really much of a problem. That said I'm of the opinion that front/backyard play with airsoft is the biggest issue. If you wouldn't handle or shoot a real gun in your yard then generally I would suggest its a bad place for you to play airsoft.

Another issue in my opinion is cheap airsoft guns, too easy to regard them as a harmless toy for allot of parents. More expensive gear and guns generally are taken better care of by the players and taken more seriously. Not saying cheap guns are bad but often they are the ones that are the problem.

The group I played with MIA(Michigan airsoft) had a standing rule that most games were 18+ only and one of the reasons was insurance but also responsibility and respect for firearms(of airsoft that would be perceived as such).

Last thing, if as a parent you wouldn't trust your child to have a real firearm without supervision then I wouldn't allow them to use airsoft without the same level of supervision. I know that sounds harsh to some, but because of the perception that the gun is real from onlookers its one way to avert some of the problems. I'd suggest parents get involved and maybe play with their kids and teach them via airsoft proper gun handling and use it to their advantage.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by luke213 View Post
    That said I'm of the opinion that front/backyard play with airsoft is the biggest issue. If you wouldn't handle or shoot a real gun in your yard then generally I would suggest its a bad place for you to play airsoft.
    I shoot BB guns and Airsoft guns in my backyard all of the time and I most certainly would not shoot a real gun there. And these are the replica kind that are indistinguishable from the real thing. Now, you won't see me shooting them in the front yard for two reasons. One reason is it might draw attention to me from all of the neighbors on the street who could see me. But second I don't want to risk a BB ricocheting into a neighbors window or something of that nature. If any window is to be broken, I'd rather it by one of my own.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I shoot BB guns and Airsoft guns in my backyard all of the time and I most certainly would not shoot a real gun there. And these are the replica kind that are indistinguishable from the real thing. Now, you won't see me shooting them in the front yard for two reasons. One reason is it might draw attention to me from all of the neighbors on the street who could see me. But second I don't want to risk a BB ricocheting into a neighbors window or something of that nature. If any window is to be broken, I'd rather it by one of my own.
    That's why I said "generally";) there are always exceptions to the rule so to speak. I do think though if more younger kids followed that recommendation we would see allot less issues with kids with airsoft guns getting into dangerous situations with police(not faulting leos here at all).

If you do it safely great no problem, but kids running around front yards with realistic guns are my biggest concern. Adults make their own decisions and live with them.

Just wanted to reiterate I don't see a problem with you shooting a bb, pellet gun, or airsoft in your backyard so long as your being safe. That is different though than kids in the front or back yard sometimes, it does have allot to do with lot size and visibility though.

Take care!

Luke

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I understand the officer very well. Do any of you remember the forum member who painted his AK pistol's muzzle orange and walked around with it slung across his body? It did not take too long time before police officers approached him.

Gunman vows to continue carrying AK-47 to parks | Nashville City Paper
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

In case nobody posted it yet, here's an LEO's perspective from right here on this forum:
    I almost shot an 11 year old boy

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have to add my 2 cents here. Another thing I would stress is for your teens to learn some gun safety with their airsoft guns. Those "toys" can be an excellent way to instill good habits, or a good way to allow them to instill their own terrible habits.

I used to play airsoft with some of the teen and pre-teen boys at my church. Most of these kids' parents had real guns, but the kids had no experience with the real ones. They would break every rule about gun safety you could imagine with these airsoft guns. I tried and tried to talk to these kids about treating those like real guns but they didn't take me seriously.

Then one day this 11 year old sticks his airsoft pistol right in my face and laughs. I told him that was not funny and he needed to rethink his attitude towards guns. He shouted "You worry too much, its not loaded!" then he pulled the trigger. I felt a very sharp pain on my forehead, put my hand up there and wiped off blood. His "unloaded" gun had just bloodied up my forehead. You should have seen the look on the kid's face. He didn't know what to say. I didn't get mad, but I took it as an opportunity to teach him some lessons, which for once he gladly listened to me. As I cleaned the blood off of my face and kept some pressure on my forehead, I asked him what would have happened had the airsoft pellet hit my eye instead of my forehead, since I had already taken off my safety goggles since we were essentially done with our game when this incident happened. Then I asked him what would have happened if he had been using a real gun and made the same mistake of thinking it was unloaded, pointed it at somebody's head and pulled the trigger?

Since many of the parents were around when this happened, they also saw and began to rethink their attitudes. I haven't seen most of those kids in years. But I believe they all learned a valuable lesson, at my expense. Many of those kids are approaching 21 by this point and could probably buy their own guns. I hope they remember that lesson.
    That's one thing I've been trying to stress to my 11yo son. He's got great trigger discipline; but he's still a bit lax in his muzzle control.

I recently put the law down to him and his friends that eye protection was to be worn at all times during the airsoft wargames. One of the bigger kids wouldn't listen untgil he was struck not once, but twice in the eye. (Once in the "socket" & once on the eyelid.) Now, he wears eye protection as well.

The one thing that is rally hard to instill in them is "SAFE" muzzle control. Since they shoot at each other in the wargames, they think nothing of sweeping each other while they are NOT playing. My son is the only one who is trying to be safe on this issue.

To make things worse. MUCH worse, the grandfather of the kid hit in the eye thinks absolutely nothing of shooting any of the boys in the head with an airsoft gun. He's even been known to shoot his own grandson with a daisy "BB" gun. So, his grandson things nothing of sweeping & firing an "empty" BB gun at people during their "airsoft" wars.

Fortunately, the kid seems to be listening to me and has stopped bringing his bb gun out to play. But, it's been real hard to overcome the "hero" status this 13yo boy have given his grandfather.

I'm also trying to instill the real problem that shooting an airsoft gun can bring to you with the law. Last year, my son's friend got into trouble shooting his airsoft gun at the schoolbus, neighbors in their car & the neighborhood homes. Fortunately, my son leaves & comes home when such foolishness begins and has avoided trouble.

The other thing I do is make my son keep his airsoft guns in his backback when he is going down the road to friends to play. That way nobody sees a boy with a gun walking or riding his bike down the road. We do live in the country & people are used to firearms. But, there is a small chance that some visiting "sheeple" will panic and call the popo.

-

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post

I recently put the law down to him and his friends that eye protection was to be worn at all times during the airsoft wargames. One of the bigger kids wouldn't listen untgil he was struck not once, but twice in the eye. (Once in the "socket" & once on the eyelid.) Now, he wears eye protection as well.

To make things worse. MUCH worse, the grandfather of the kid hit in the eye thinks absolutely nothing of shooting any of the boys in the head with an airsoft gun. He's even been known to shoot his own grandson with a daisy "BB" gun. So, his grandson things nothing of sweeping & firing an "empty" BB gun at people during their "airsoft" wars.

-
    Eye safety is a must. Currently my son wears goggles, I'm considering making him wear a full face mask. I've been impressed with him as far as muzzle control. He's actually much better than I expected.

As far as the grandfather. I don't know to say except stupid is what stupid does.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Eye safety is a must. Currently my son wears goggles, I'm considering making him wear a full face mask. I've been impressed with him as far as muzzle control. He's actually much better than I expected.

As far as the grandfather. I don't know to say except stupid is what stupid does.
    Full face masks go a long way to reduce dental bills from airsoft, I know quite a few people who have lost front or partial front teeth to airsoft BB's at close ranges when we did allot of indoor playing. I generally didn't wear full face coverage outdoors and was lucky to never really get hit in the mouth but it does happen fairly often. What I did learn in the years I played is that while we tried to not shoot people in the head(center mass shots), often the only part of the body not behind cover is the head, as such it's hard to not take that shot. However it also comes down to the people playing, if your a fairly good shot a headshot still isn't too much of an issue because you can put the shot where you want to a certain degree and avoid parts that will really hurt, and sometimes even hit just gear/hat or something of the sort.

Another thing he can do if he's not interested in full face guard masks is go ahead and run a baklava along with his normal mask, it won't stop a BB from leaving a welt but it will go a long ways to stop one heading for his teeth.

Take care!

Luke

Alright gentlemen ! a few observations after reading all of this topics posts. I grew up and played solder all the time, everywhere in our neighborhood, we were in Oceanside CA. where Camp Pendleton Marine corps base is. We live in town, we had all types of unmarked toy guns, no orange bands on the barrells, we also wore cartrige belts, canteens, helmet liners, Vietnam period, I graduated from HS in 76 so as my retired USMC dad said I didn't miss anything. Anyway, dozens of us kids would run all over the area, in everyones front lawns, hiding in bushes, up trees, running across streets in almost realistic gear for the period, No Kevlar in those days. Other than the old flack vest. Point, is we never had a PD response at anytime. Yes, The OPD was fairly small in those days, and lots of former Marines worked for them, but things were different then. Oh and we could grab our shotguns and 22's and walk down the street to the closest field and have a ball, no problems.

But now days, you could have a foam rubbber rifle painted black and some idiot would be on the phone with the pd. And you bet those responding Leo's would be all over the neighborhood ricky tick ! So yes, what is this country turning into. I'd say it but it may upset some poor idiot.

Please don't allow it to get as dumbed down as the UK. I been there, it's amazing how stupid people are. Any UK doinks don't agree, I don't want to hear it, because I don't really care, it's your country, you allowed it to get that way, this is my country. I did my 20 years, got my DD-214 and grey retired Id. So what can be done here fella's.
    How much more totally dumb and stupid crap are we american's going to put up with. I can't retire quite yet, but I am really thinking about what place I may want to retire in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links