Teenagers Airsoft & Police

This is a discussion on Teenagers Airsoft & Police within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Iím looking for some advice I can give my 15-year-old son. Heís been using airsoft with his friends in the woods. A co-worker just told ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Teenagers Airsoft & Police

Iím looking for some advice I can give my 15-year-old son. Heís been using airsoft with his friends in the woods. A co-worker just told me a story where his son and friends recently came out of the woods to find several of their local police with weapons drawn at them. When my co-worker got a chance to talk with one of the officerís the officer said he has seen non-airsoft guns with orange painted barrels and they were not about to take any chances. OK, I can see the officerís point.

My concern is we are talking about 15 year old kids who believe they are invincible and know everything. The first thing I told my son is that he is not to be wearing any headphones (iPod or noise cancelling) while in position of the airsoft gun. Then I told my son if you are ever put into this position that 1 the office is probably as scared or possibly more scared then you. Listen to every direction you are given (reason for no headphones). Lay the gun on the ground, make sure the barrel is never pointed in the direction of the officer(s), while you are holding it or laying it down.

Any other instruction I should be giving my son?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Yeah when he gets older, go to college and get a job that is out of NJ. Preferably in a free state where guns are considered bad.

YES!,as a LEO they should be in a controlled enviroment,I.E.,adults,private property,where they can have their fun,without the LEO's getting the mwag call from someone,we get these calls,and it is so frustrating to know that in the end it is kids,because lets face it airsoft is just a convincing as the real thing,my airsoft trainer is set up exactly like my edc carbine,and not all leo's know the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Yeah when he gets older, go to college and get a job that is out of NJ. Preferably in a free state where guns are considered bad.
    Where does being in NJ come into play with this question?

Quote Originally Posted by glockrocker View Post
    YES!,as a LEO they should be in a controlled enviroment,I.E.,adults,private property,where they can have their fun,without the LEO's getting the mwag call from someone,we get these calls,and it is so frustrating to know that in the end it is kids,because lets face it airsoft is just a convincing as the real thing,my airsoft trainer is set up exactly like my edc carbine,and not all leo's know the difference.
    The place my son plays most of the time is private property.

Quote Originally Posted by rmilchman View Post
    Where does being in NJ come into play with this question?
    It is the general attitude of the people living there and LE towards firearms.
    Guest1 and Brass63 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It is the general attitude of the people living there and LE towards firearms.
    My police department seems to be rather gun friendly. I had to get printed a couple of weeks ago for my Florida permit. The office told me everyone in town should own a gun.

My police department seems to be rather gun friendly. I had to get printed a couple of weeks ago for my Florida permit. The office told me everyone in town should own a gun.
    Well my neighborhood kids run around on front lawns and in streets playing airsoft in the winter all the time, I never see them getting cops called on them or getting proned out.

What about asking/telling the local pd so they know it's just kids having some fun

Actually I didn't say this happened in my town, I said a co-worker. As glockrocker said my son's m4 looks extremely realistic. I would bet if it didn't have an orange tip you couldn't tell it was not real unless you were actually holding it. I would bet just about anywhere in the country police have gotten calls about kids with airsoft guns. I'm looking for advice to give my son for his safety not comments like move or it's the state you live in.

Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    What about asking/telling the local pd so they know it's just kids having some fun
    That's something to consider.

Thanks

Not just LE. If an armed citizen sees a teen with a gun and perceives it as a threat their reaction may be less metered than LE.

Just an off the cuff suggestion but if a teen playing airsoft startles an unsuspecting person not involved in their game maybe drop gun and say something to the effect of "toy gun" and show empty hands?

It may seem a bit overboard but with concealed carry becoming more common and the vast majority of carriers seldom training more than to get their permit it'd be a shame to not at least consider it.

Actually I didn't say this happened in my town, I said a co-worker. As glockrocker said my son's m4 looks extremely realistic. I would bet if it didn't have an orange tip you couldn't tell it was not real unless you were actually holding it. I would bet just about anywhere in the country police have gotten calls about kids with airsoft guns. I'm looking for advice to give my son for his safety not comments like move or it's the state you live in.
    In my opinion moving out of a gun restrictive state is a safety precaution.... but seeing as you felt the need to ask the forum the only advice to give him is what you already gave him and add that if he sees a police officer he should drop the weapon immediately.... without question. Then follow instructions. I mean drop it. he doesn't need to be waving it around when the police are around. It should be separated from his possession in a split second.
    SIGguy229 likes this.

It doesn't matter if you inform the Leo's or not ,if they get the mwag call they have to respond,"what if"you get a trigger happy newby,responding and the kid comes running around the house,both meet,then tragedy,and lets face some people are going to make that call even if they know its kids just simply because they can,all I was saying was maybe they could be in a wooded area away from the public or in an arena type setting,like paintball. In my jurisdiction pointing a weapon at someone is also a felony,wetherits airsoft,paintball,b.b.,so they may want to be carefull on that also.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    LEOs recently wasted a guy and shot his girlfriend after they used a toy gun to rob a bank. The BG pointed it at police and it was game over. No one filed any complaints against the involved officers. imagine that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links