LEO's on the Range

LEO's on the Range

This is a discussion on LEO's on the Range within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; How does your Department do qualifying? what are the stages, distances, number of rounds, etc. How often are you required to re-qualify?...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Hiram25
  • 1 Post By 5thMarines
  • 1 Post By SIXTO

Thread: LEO's on the Range

LEO's on the Range

How does your Department do qualifying? what are the stages, distances, number of rounds, etc. How often are you required to re-qualify?

We requalify for our LEOSA (HR-281) permits the same as the active duty Troopers do, once a year. The LEOSA course is shot from the 25 yard line in, we also shoot two six round courses (out of the 50) with the left hand, we also have to reload using the off hand only. Shots are fired while moving forward, and to both sides, also from behind cover.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Annually , is all you shoot as a Trooper?

Distinguished Member
    This is the NY state qual course as published by DCJS. All police/peace officers need to shoot it annually with their issue and any backups they want to carry.

The qualifying course of fire as adopted by the Municipal Police Training Council (MPTC) (ref. Part 4-M of the Basic Course for Police Officers) consists of a fifty (50) round course, fired double action with the dominate hand from the instructor's positions of choice. The use of cover is encouraged, but is optional. A silhouette target is used with a scoring area equal to, or smaller than that of, the standard B-27 target. Trainees are required to fire at least two qualifying scores of 70 percent (175 of a possible 250) with service/duty ammunition.

• 25 yard line - 8 rounds fired in 40 seconds with one reload.

• 15 yard line - 12 rounds fired in 40 seconds with one reload.

• 7 yard line - 18 rounds fired in two phases:
    Phase #1 - 6 rounds fired in two round increments - no time limit.
    Phase #2 - 12 rounds fired in 25 seconds with one reload.

• 3 yard line - 12 rounds fired in two phases:
    Phase #1 - 6 rounds fired in two round increments - no time limit.
    Phase #2 - 6 rounds fired in 6 seconds.

We also shoot an additional dept qual course. It's 50 rounds across two Q targets (each in their own lane) from the 25yard line on in. I don't remember the specific course of fire but there is standing, kneeling, cover, off hand or some combination thereof for stages. 35 total shots on target to pass.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Quote Originally Posted by 5thMarines View Post
    Annually , is all you shoot as a Trooper?
    Annually is to qualify, we shoot all the time.
    bigmacque and Secret Spuk like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

The State of Maine requires annual qualifications. I, and some other guys from depts too small to have our own instructors, qualify and train with the local S.O. which holds a couple of days of weapons training and qualifications in May and the another couple of days in October. For some this is all the shooting they do, others are more active. Personally, I enjoy shooting and practice regularly and compete in IDPA.

If you follow this link ( Maine Criminal Justice Academy: Forms ) and scroll down to "Firearms Forms" you'll find the state mandated qualification courses of fire. These are the same for Maine certified LEOs.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

I dont believe the statement "we shoot all the time" , I did 20 years in Law Enforcement , we shot quarterly , thats roughly 90 rounds every 90 days , thats what you had to shoot , now how many officers actually shot on there days off? My guess would be under 20 % , theres many reasons for this , Time is a big one , officers with families just dont have the time , plus you have to take into account court time , it wastes a whole easily! Plus you just have to like to shoot , Im sorry but most cops dont like to shoot , thats why I would tell the general public if your looking to buy a gun , dont ask a cop and dont go by what the department carries , I wouldnt ask them what radio I should carry , they know how to push the button to talk , pull the trigger to shoot! Not all cops are lazy about there job, I wasnt I like to shoot , I shot at least 3 days a week sometimes more , if the department was overly nice and gave away more ammo I shot more , swat team members shoot daily , on average , I would bet the people on this forum shoot more regularly in area than the majority of cops in there area!

Lets face it , shooting annually 50 rounds and you only need 35 to pass the course (and Im sure they give extra rounds to make sure you pass ,its a lot cheaper than sending another recruit through the academy) isnt much , if my life depended on those Troopers and I have the knowledge that they shoot to qualify once a year , I will take my chances alone!
    Yankeejib likes this.

Administrator
    So much of this depends on the local area. A lot of states vary a lot on requirements; they go from monthly to bi annual. People tend to forget that training is not quals and quals are not training. The state mandates we shoot a certain course of fire (it changes almost yearly, and allows for some variation), so I don't have exact figures to answer the ops question.
    Also, an LEO's training includes so much more than shooting and range time, which usually means for better decision making skills during, before, and after critical incidents. Without that type of setup, we would end up with far more police shootings than we have.
    Fact is, modern LEO's job description has very little to do with firearms. I'd say that maybe2-3% of the job is gun related. I'd take a partner that has excellent communication skills over the partner that is dumb as a box if rocks, but can shoot the wings off a fly.
    JD likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

My department required qualification once per year, and mandated firearms training twice a year. They also made available ammo for each officer to practice every month. Any officer authorized to use firearms other than standard service handguns had to spend another day at the range for every other firearm training and qualifying with that firearm. The department had an HUGE range/raining operation.

We are required by agency policy to qualify once each year on our duty pistols and backups, the AR-15, and our shotgun. They offer several shoots a year to get them done in.

We get ammo issued for qualification day, bujt none extra for practice. They say that's what our uniform allowance is for. Then turn around a need a $220 dress uniform jacket and replacement shirts every time he brass gets a wild hair to change what we wear?
    A 9mm is only a .45 set on "stun".

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by KenW. View Post
    We are required by agency policy to qualify once each year on our duty pistols and backups, the AR-15, and our shotgun. They offer several shoots a year to get them done in.

We get ammo issued for qualification day, bujt none extra for practice. They say that's what our uniform allowance is for. Then turn around a need a $220 dress uniform jacket and replacement shirts every time he brass gets a wild hair to change what we wear?
    If my life depended on my accuracy, I'd find the extra coin to practice more. I regularly out shoot any deps in competition. And no one ever gave me a single round for practice. Just saying. Thanks for your service.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links