Border agent sent to prison for "violating rights" of drug smuggler. - Page 3

Border agent sent to prison for "violating rights" of drug smuggler.

This is a discussion on Border agent sent to prison for "violating rights" of drug smuggler. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I saw this guy's poor wife on Fox this morning. Even if the guy gets an appeal and wins, he has already been jailed long ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Border agent sent to prison for "violating rights" of drug smuggler.

I saw this guy's poor wife on Fox this morning. Even if the guy gets an appeal and wins, he has already been jailed long enough that he has a 7mo old baby he has never seen. This whole thing is wrong on so many levels it's hard control the emotions. The sad thing is most people probably don't even know about this. I have only seen it on Fox and on (what are labeled as) conservative online news sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    Ha! Not only did they give him immunity, they gave him a freakin U.S. VISA too! And not the credit card type either.
    Yeah, sad part is he will probably get government food assistance, college aid, welfare, etc etc etc............

mel
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Your question which I put in bold is usually answered with "the ballot." When that doesn't work, you get things like the Tea Party Movement and Occupy Wall Street. The recourse beyond the ballot is the right to assemble and peacefully protest.

That said, there are assumptions in your post which may not be valid. Comments that the people are victims of a government that fails to protect them may or may not be valid and are certainly open to lots of discussion and dispute. The comment could be turned just as well to economic matters-- what recourse do the people have when government fails to protect them from cartels?

As for the last part of post 28, there is a famous saying from a Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta--- "A policeman's lot is not a happy one." The problem mentioned in the last sentence of post 28 applies to all
    actions by all police officers; not just the border. Their use of force is ALWAYS questioned and examined after the fact. It goes with the job. No one is forced to take that job.
    I can agree with the fact that there are some assumptions in my post. And I can agree with you that the "ballot" is the way that we should take firs to enact change. OWS and the Tea Party are both alternative actions that can be taken to push the speed of "change." However one of the underlying reasons that countries are formed and governments are put in place is to protect that country and it's citizens. Well, if you look at the murder, the negative economic impact that has resulted by our governments unwillingness to uphold the laws of the land coupled with the actions that were taken against this BPA you have to ask the question, "is our government guilty?" I believe the answer to that is a simple, yes.

Our country was founded because our forefather's felt that the King of England didn't have their best interest in mind. So a bunch of old white guys got together and said,

"WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness—That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

You are also right that no one forces people in to law enforcement, and that there should be a system in place to make sure that the enforcers of the law aren't overstepping the power and responsibility that has been entrusted to them. But the case against this BPA and some others before him, lead me to believe that our government is failing its citizens. When you break the law you give up your rights, whether you are a citizen of this country, or are being granted those rights under the equal protection clause. The kid was in the country illegally, he was bringing drugs in to this country. He wasn't tortured or beaten, the BPA lifted him up while he was restrained.

I think that Thomas Jefferson said it best, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." This quote can be taken a number of ways, but in my eyes it means that new people must step up and take positions of leadership, NOT armed revolt.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Political blood through paper cuts, lots and lots of vicious parer cuts.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mel View Post
    I can agree with the fact that there are some assumptions in my post. And I can agree with you that the "ballot" is the way that we should take firs to enact change. OWS and the Tea Party are both alternative actions that can be taken to push the speed of "change." However one of the underlying reasons that countries are formed and governments are put in place is to protect that country and it's citizens. Well, if you look at the murder, the negative economic impact that has resulted by our governments unwillingness to uphold the laws of the land coupled with the actions that were taken against this BPA you have to ask the question, "is our government guilty?" I believe the answer to that is a simple, yes.

Our country was founded because our forefather's felt that the King of England didn't have their best interest in mind. So a bunch of old white guys got together and said,

"WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness—That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness."

You are also right that no one forces people in to law enforcement, and that there should be a system in place to make sure that the enforcers of the law aren't overstepping the power and responsibility that has been entrusted to them. But the case against this BPA and some others before him, lead me to believe that our government is failing its citizens. When you break the law you give up your rights, whether you are a citizen of this country, or are being granted those rights under the equal protection clause. The kid was in the country illegally, he was bringing drugs in to this country. He wasn't tortured or beaten, the BPA lifted him up while he was restrained.

I think that Thomas Jefferson said it best, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." This quote can be taken a number of ways, but in my eyes it means that new people must step up and take positions of leadership, NOT armed revolt.
    Jeffereson said this, but he certainly didn't believe it. During his term he imposed an embargo that
    had severe effects particularly in the New England States. He then used what have been described as
    "Draconian" measures to force compliance. Some historians believe that he set back the course of liberty rather than promoted it--at least in so far as his behavior in Presidential office. There is no doubt he'd have used the military (and did) to force his will on the people.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

It's like this all over. We have an "ICE" unit where I work, and we are not even allowed to raise our voices at them. It makes me sick.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links