Occupy Wallstreet...Could this be a threat?

This is a discussion on Occupy Wallstreet...Could this be a threat? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by JBachman So because I amassed a great deal of wealth, for which I worked hard my entire life, I'm evil and greedy? ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Occupy Wallstreet...Could this be a threat?

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JBachman View Post
    So because I amassed a great deal of wealth, for which I worked hard my entire life, I'm evil and greedy? Nothing was handed to me, I worked hard building a successful business and I will gladly keep every penny I earn. I'll say it again... Quit blaming everyone else for your personal failures and get a job.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
    Seriously, do you REALLY believe that this is what it is about? Seriously?

The issue is NOT about reward for hard work. Yes, you should be rewarded for hard work, everyone should. By the same token the person who cleans your office's toilet and takes out the trash should be rewarded for their work and for their effort they should be able to afford to live. I'm not saying that they should have the same level of house, car, vacation, or whatever as the ones who run the company because certainly with risk should come reward, but they shouldn't be living in poverty either. There is certainly enough resources to go around that anybody who is making a solid contribution shouldn't be in poverty and should be able to afford housing, transportation, food, clothing, health care, some amount of entertainment and have savings for retirement. For that matter the opportunity to go to school and become more should be available to everyone. There is precious little talent as it is and we can't afford to be wasting most of it because the person wasn't born into wealth.

No, this isn't about TAKING and redistributing your so called hard earned wealth. This is about ABUSING that wealth to further your interests at many others expense. This is about the majority not having a say in how THEIR own country is run. This is about the future of our nation. And yes, if you have had the fortune to amass wealth, then you should be paying for the services and benefits you receive from the nation to help protect and defend it. Sorry, but that isn't the serf's responsibility. If you do agree that you should be paying for the privilege of being here, then by all means haul your wealthy butt to China or wherever. However, if you are going to stay here, then by God you better be investing in here. If not, then let us show you the door and don't let it hit you on the way out.
    Hopyard and gunsnroses like this.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CUMMINS View Post
    This whole game is like chess, Obama is trying to make these people riot, then he can implement marshal law. Become president forever, and take our guns away because he can... then its check mate
    I really have to wonder where you came up with this? That is just absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I really have to wonder where you came up with this? That is just absurd.
    he can't get re-elected, he doesn't want his healthcare over turned, he believes he's Allah's gift to America. Look at the facts, if he starts a rebellion he can declare marshal law and do what he wants. He has already bypassed congress with his NATO Libya campaign

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I am 23 years old, have two college degrees in the IT field, a field that is not irrelevant and oversaturated. I went to a college that was within my means and have payed for it all out of pocket with a job I had since high school. I have never even applied for any form of financial aid or loans. I now have a job in my field and am living on my own and pay 100% of my own expenses. I bought a vehicle that was within my means and have taken no loans out to purchase it. I have no sympathy for people who take out exorbitant loans to go to a highly prestiged university for some already saturated occupation. Everyone knows how the economy is, so why would you set yourself up to be drowning in debt before you even get out of the gate?

Don't call me the 99% or the 1%, I'm just someone that had the ability to not make foolish decisions with my finances at a young age.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Administrator
    Yes, the problems in this nation have been a long time in the making. At least 25-30 years. They didn't start with Him, 'that one', or 'the anointed one' as he is so frequently called here. It is a distraction. Republican, Democrat, it doesn't matter. They are one and the same. Trickle down economic theory doesn't work. It is only robbing the masses and the joke is on all of us. If it did work we would all have gold pouring out of our backsides. We need REAL change but as we've been saying in this thread, it's going to be costly. Look at how much we're at each others' throats in this forum and presumably we share common interests.
    Compared to the rest of the world, we do have gold coming out our backsides.
    In the interest of intelligent conversation (I mean that with no tone of sarcasm) what system do you suggest?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Seriously, do you REALLY believe that this is what it is about? Seriously?

The issue is NOT about reward for hard work. Yes, you should be rewarded for hard work, everyone should. By the same token the person who cleans your office's toilet and takes out the trash should be rewarded for their work and for their effort they should be able to afford to live. I'm not saying that they should have the same level of house, car, vacation, or whatever as the ones who run the company because certainly with risk should come reward, but they shouldn't be living in poverty either. There is certainly enough resources to go around that anybody who is making a solid contribution shouldn't be in poverty and should be able to afford housing, transportation, food, clothing, health care, some amount of entertainment and have savings for retirement. For that matter the opportunity to go to school and become more should be available to everyone. There is precious little talent as it is and we can't afford to be wasting most of it because the person wasn't born into wealth.

No, this isn't about TAKING and redistributing your so called hard earned wealth. This is about ABUSING that wealth to further your interests at many others expense. This is about the majority not having a say in how THEIR own country is run. This is about the future of our nation. And yes, if you have had the fortune to amass wealth, then you should be paying for the services and benefits you receive from the nation to help protect and defend it. Sorry, but that isn't the serf's responsibility. If you do agree that you should be paying for the privilege of being here, then by all means haul your wealthy butt to China or wherever. However, if you are going to stay here, then by God you better be investing in here. If not, then let us show you the door and don't let it hit you on the way out.
    I have two employees. I am not a multi-national corporation. I sell services... I don't make those employees work for me. They are free to seek employment anywhere they want. They are free to start their own business. Pay for the privilege to be here...? Are you kidding me? I served 4 years in the Army where I was injured in combat, is that enough for me "to be here"? You mean pay for your welfare check or public assistance? Abusing wealth, you mean investing my money to make more? Are you thick? It's too bad some chose to make bad decisions regarding their education and or finances. But just because I have money, doesn't make it my fault.

ksholder and 64zebra like this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    The way it has caught on and spread could be the beginnings of some major civil unrest such as we have seen in other parts of the world. Not surprising. Prepare for some rocky times ahead and hope for the best.
    My prediction is that it's gonna get toooooo cold for a sustained protest, there will be only minor skirmishes until next spring and summer. After the OWS people have been holed up all winter, things may get ugly.

An election year coupled with a boat load of pent up frustration could be the catalyst for major civil unrest.
    Don't tread on me or mine.
    I am comfortable laying on a rock in the sun; bothering no one. If you choose to ignore the above statement, you will wish all you had to do, is deal with a snake.

@noway2.... Seriously, if it were up to you, how would it work?

Yeah, Noway2, I'd like to hear your solution.

"This is about ABUSING that wealth to further your interests at many others expense"

Nice bit of sloganeering there. Now what does it mean? Please provide details. Where is this really occurring? That is, where is it occurring outside of current American government, where politicians abuse our economy with endless big government spending programs, effectively using taxpayer dollars to buy votes in order to stay in office? It's a fantastic, self-perpetuating system when politicians can both tax the productive citizens and legislate limitless borrowing and crushing debt to do nothing more than butter up the ignorant for their continued vote. Your so-called "serfs" are nothing more than dupes and your liberal government is projecting it's grievous transgressions onto American business.

"For that matter the opportunity to go to school and become more should be available to everyone."

Prove to us that school is less attainable than at any former time in our history. It can't be done. With the government loans and grants available today it's as attainable as a motivated student wants it to be. School isn't a right, nor should it be.

"...if you are going to stay here,then by God you better be investing in here."

Compelled benevolence at behest of the government, is that what you're proposing? It really is redistribution of wealth you know, and you buy into it.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

We're only endowed with the right to pursue happiness, not have it guaranteed to us and bestowed on us by a "benevolent" government. A government which has promoted a nanny-state and which has come to power through vote-buying and promising something for nothing to foolish and selfish voters. A government which promotes envy of all kinds: intellectual, class, race, and economic. A government which is using the very people it is claiming to look after as nothing more than a step on which to tread as it grasps and consolidates power. A government which undermines liberty at every opportunity under the false guise of promoting "equality."

The contemptible "occupy" losers are both craven and stupid. They are "barking up the wrong tree" in this instance, manipulated by extreme leftist organizers who are pulling their strings. At the bottom of it all are these wretched losers who are too foolish to know or care. You won't like the results when leftists achieve their goals, a circumstance which is perilously close to happening while the average American vacillates over supporting or not supporting this "occupy" rabble. Well, I don't support them.

"I really have to wonder where you come up with this? That is just absurd"

The same thing could be said about your ideology.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

In the interest of not getting my thread closed because of political discussion can we stay away from the merits of communism vs. capitalism, and stick with my questions concerning what's going to happen when this turns bad. i.e. are all of these people just being used to incite "change" and the threat that encompases.

Quote Originally Posted by Doodle View Post
    In the interest of not getting my thread closed because of political discussion can we stay away from the merits of communism vs. capitalism, and stick with my questions concerning what's going to happen when this turns bad. i.e. are all of these people just being used to incite "change" and the threat that encompases.
    Agreed. Sixto, Out of respect for Doodle, I have replied off line. I get the feeling that you are interested in serious discussion. Many here are not.

Oakland OWS Protests turn very ugly.

I fear there is a dark undercurrent to these demonstrations.

OS

Occupy Protests Degenerate into Chaos - Officer.com
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I fear there is a dark undercurrent to these demonstrations.
    The usual bunch of ne'er do wells seem to have attached themselves to the movement for no good purpose. Hardly surprising.

At my qualification shoot yesterday (armed security license) they had all of us that were qualified with shotguns give names and phone numbers. It seems some of the businesses in the area are making contingency plans. They said if there are riots we can expect a call offering us ridiculous (LA after Katrina ridiculous) money to protect certain properties in the Houston area. The guy running the operation said he has several cases of bean bag and rubber shot rounds on order and they should be in any day.

Last week one of the occupiers went before the Houston city council demanding the city provide porta johns and electrical service to their camp. They said they have not interfered with people getting into businesses, yet..... The mayor told them to pound sand and appreciate how lucky they are that she has not ordered HPD to clear them out, yet. As long as they are just a side show I don't think anything is going to happen here. If they seriously do try to interfere with local commerce or the rights of others I do believe they are going to get a very rude awakening.

Texas laws on disorderly conduct, trespassing, riot, and dispersing a riot (use of militia and special constables) is not going to make happy times for these people if/when the mayor or the county judges decide they are becoming a problem.
    64zebra likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    If those small business men were thinking, they'd be out supporting OWS. They have been victims of the man made recession, the impossibility of getting small business credit, loss of value of their Keogh Plans due to the excessive risk taking by the investment banks, and lots more. Most don't earn the mega-millions we watch going to the buddy of a buddy who is on a BOD.
    noway2 likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links