So, now the Jack-booted-thugs we know as TSA...

This is a discussion on So, now the Jack-booted-thugs we know as TSA... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Are randomly searching trucks at weigh stations and bus station patrons? Story >>>here<<< What is happening in his country? This is homeland security? So, can ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oakchas

Thread: So, now the Jack-booted-thugs we know as TSA...

Are randomly searching trucks at weigh stations and bus station patrons?

Story >>>here<<<

What is happening in his country?

This is homeland security? So, can I expect TSA agents to sit outside my property and search my vehicle because I'm going to use a public road?

They use the excuse that an OK trooper discovered Timothy McVeigh because his car had no plates. But that is reasonable cause, he is in violation of a law... Now they can search vehicles and passengers because they might be violating a law. Without probable cause?

This will probably end up political... and get locked... but geeze... this is ridiculous.

The violation of our rights continues... (and that it happened in Tennessee, is remarkable to me in that: in the book Patriots, Tennessee was one of the first states to comply with the new government, and I said to myself, "No Way, self... not Tennessee... Maybe the state of Chicago, but not Tennessee.")

Hmmmm...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Tuesday's statewide "VIPR" operation isn't in response to any particular threat, according to officials.
    How far do we let them go?
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

As far as the bus station patrons, in Houston it is not random. EVERYONE riding Greyhound is searched. Bags are checked too. But that is by a security company contracted by Greyhound, not the government.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

funny you asked, this link contains info about the great State of Tennessee...smile Guest Post: This Is The Only Way To Change The System | ZeroHedge

...11-05-11 ...

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    My father told me years ago. (he was a moderate liberal) that he expected that I would live to see the day when the public would be forced to give up many of their personal rights and freeedoms in the effort to keep the general population safe. At the time (this was 25 years ago) I could not believe it was true. Today, hate to say it but looks again like dad was smarter than his son.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    I just read the article. Keeping in mind the news articles seldom get a story straight, and also keeping in mind that I am a fairly strong advocate of civil rights and consistent complainer about things like TSA searches and ICE/BP searches away from the border, I didn't see anything particularly disturbing in this article.

What it said-- truck drivers were being asked to report suspicious stuff. Fine. In NYC taxi drivers are asked the same. In other places the fire dept., the water meter readers, and the garbage collectors are trained to notice and report on suspicious stuff.

Bus stations have always been policed because they are places where crowds gather. If the police have dogs, I see no problem. If they use the dogs to hit on contraband, I do have a problem with the idea
    that the dog knows what it is doing, but a subsequent search wouldn't be entirely unreasonable either.

Maybe I just missed what the gripe is specifically or I didn't understand something, but this doesn't disturb me.

What does disturb me is the fact that both buses and trains (Amtrak) require ID. That is wrong. We did neither until after 9/11 and last I heard buses and trains weren't hijacked. I am also disturbed by fine print on Amtrak tickets that you agree to being randomly searched. I consider these things overkill not in keeping with our traditions of freedom. In the case of Amtrak it doesn't even sit right with me on the grounds that it is being done by government (Amtrak isn't exactly a private company) without suspicion or warrant. And of course it seems foolish---when was the last time you heard of a great train robbery on US soil.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I work at a truck weight station, and there isn't any TSA in sight. Do see a Diplomatic Security agent on occasion, but that's my son stopping by on his way back and forth. Oh, one Homeland Security agent did stop in to report an erratic trucker, but no searches involved.

"If they use the dogs to hit on contraband, I do have a problem with the idea
    that the dog knows what it is doing,..."

My experience with drug dogs is they'll "hit" on whatever the officer tells it to.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I work at a truck weight station, and there isn't any TSA in sight. Do see a Diplomatic Security agent on occasion, but that's my son stopping by on his way back and forth. Oh, one Homeland Security agent did stop in to report an erratic trucker, but no searches involved.

"If they use the dogs to hit on contraband, I do have a problem with the idea
    that the dog knows what it is doing,..."

My experience with drug dogs is they'll "hit" on whatever the officer tells it to.
    No experience in the matter, but this wouldn't surprise me in the least.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Hopyard...

Papers please... that's the next logical step.

AZ and AL laws force those who are ALREADY BREAKING A LAW, traffic/whathave you... to prove identity... and then of course they may be subject to search.

With this type of action, you (your vehicle) is searched without probable cause... whether you commit a crime or not.

Now, I suppose TSA could sit on the street in front of your house, and before you could use the street (a public means of conveyance) you could be subject to search... because they know you have guns, your permit is a matter of public record, and hence... You might be planning a terrorist action.

sigh... far fetched, perhaps.

In the realm of possibility? well somebody ordered those total body scanners in mobile vans didn't they? What's next? They drive by, see you walking donw the street with a gun! Papers please....

No. Stop this now... as Barney used to say, "we've got to nip it! Nip it in the bud!"
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    I recall Minnesota setting up 1 AM road blocks stopping all traffic and checking all for DUI in the early 70's in fact I got checked in one myself. They had to stop as it was determined that even when they found a person legally drunk they couldn't prosecute. But then Minnesota had to remove all red-light violation cameras recently and refund previous ticket money collected. Given it's a mostly liberal state there is still some hope I guess.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    As far as the bus station patrons, in Houston it is not random. EVERYONE riding Greyhound is searched. Bags are checked too. But that is by a security company contracted by Greyhound, not the government.
    It is however government mandate that they check IDs. That occurred because a few weeks after 9/11, in a totally unrelated event, some looney tune slit a driver's throat. The powers that be got all in a panic and decreed that bus companies must check IDs.

Every time Congress gets in a panic we ordinary folks lose something. Usually its money, but often its freedom.
    Andrew Jackson

Im waiting for TSA to show up on the road before I worry about it. In the winter, Border Patrol (HLS) here in the San Juan Island's starts to search non-international ferry traffic, at the ferry dock, under the tortured logic and Federal statute of some 30 mile "zone" where this is "allowed", thing is, they have no jurisdiction for a search on you if you say no, if you have not been out of the county, (on the next Island does not count)and you are not near a entry point(internationl voyage)...you need to show ID, but you can refuse a search. The searches Border Patrol does in the winter captures "undocumented" domestic help, dummy dopers and riles up the rich and poor Islanders alike. TSA doing searches of trucks, buses or trains, or planes(federal interstate mandate) is likely legitimate, it's the local highway and not commercial interstate that maybe out of Homeland Security jurisdiction...We'll see, heck I'd be really surprised if they could even pull something like that off, a road block, without getting permision from the State...Im wondering what Tennessee got out of the "Deal" to be first......$.02
    Last edited by CaptSmith; November 5th, 2011 at 05:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptSmith View Post
    Im waiting for TSA to show up on the road before I worry about it. In the winter, Border Patrol (HLS) here in the San Juan Island's starts to search non-international ferry traffic, at the ferry dock, under the tortured logic and Federal statute of some 30 mile "zone" where this is "allowed", thing is, they have no jurisdiction for a search on you if you say no, if you have not been out of the county, (on the next Island does not count)and you are not near a entry point(internationl voyage)...you need to show ID, but you can refuse a search. The searches Border Patrol does in the winter captures "undocumented" domestic help, dummy dopers and riles up the rich and poor Islanders alike. TSA doing searches of trucks, buses or trains, or planes(federal interstate mandate) is likely legitimate, it's the local highway and not commercial interstate that maybe out of Homeland Security jurisdiction...We'll see, heck I'd be really surprised if they could even pull something like that off, a road block, without getting permision from the State...Im wondering what Tennessee got out of the "Deal" to be first......$.02
    Actually, your previous post (with the link) was an interesting read.

Realize that AZ and AL have already enacted laws where they can ask for "papers" (only subsequent to a crime, I think).

Similarities might not happen for some time in the Midwest. But the Patriot act, enhanced interrogation, warrant-less wiretapping, and now "random searches," mobile total body scanners, and the like, seem a slippery slope. One I don't care for and that makes me a bit uneasy.

Sure, "if you haven't done anything wrong, you have nothing to fear." But, ya know, I'm certain the ethnic/ideological/handicapped populations of 1930-40s Germany weren't "doing anything wrong" at the outset. And honestly, I HATE the comparisons to NAZI Germany; but what I hate worse, is that they are starting to ring true more often.
    oneshot likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links