Women on submarines as soon as next week...sorry not a fan

This is a discussion on Women on submarines as soon as next week...sorry not a fan within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Day - First women to report to subs graduate | News from southeastern Connecticut Don't get me wrong...this is not about sexism because there ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree131Likes

Thread: Women on submarines as soon as next week...sorry not a fan

The Day - First women to report to subs graduate | News from southeastern Connecticut

Don't get me wrong...this is not about sexism because there is nothing about being a submariner requiring great physical strength (especially since these are officers...ZING!), I digress anyway all you need is intelligence and coolness under pressure. My problem lies in the history and traditions of the submarine force that will not be the same with a mixed gender crew. Trust me there's no time or room for "relations", so I'm not worried about that but...why would women even want to be on subs with guys like me and other dudes I know. They don't call us dirty boat sailors for nothin. It'll never be the same.

Will they cross the equator and join in some of the other sub traditions?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

There might be nothing requiring great physical strength - as long as all the equipment works. When things get damaged and you have to revert to "manual" mode, I'm betting that physical strength becomes much more necessary.

Sorry - but I get so darn tired hearing about how warfare is now "push button," with less demand on physical strength. Hogwash. I can't tell you how many times I had to carry a female's rucksack in addition to my own, because they just could not make it - and this was on nothing more trying than a 12 mile march, with no one shooting at you.

On a slightly different note - are we really so desperate for military service members, that as a society, we are willing to risk the lives of our wives and the mothers of our children in dangerous professions such as military service, law enforcement, etc? Are there really not enough men to do these tasks? Really?

I'll shut up now, lest I risk getting banned. Grrrrrr....

bmcgilvray, wmhawth and SpencerB like this.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

It's a shameful commentary on our society today. I'm just old fashioned enough to think that a society that has no more respect for its women than to send them off to war, putting them in harm's way, is a sick society.

Equality just ain't all it's cracked up to be.
    RoadKill and wmhawth like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    Ummmmm....... what about those of us who WANT to serve our country?

It says nothing negative about "the state of our country" when women stand up and volunteer to go to war in its defense.

We love our country just as much as you men do. We have the same drive to fight and defend and I find it quite annoying when people try to downplay our commitment to our country with saying like, "What is our county coming to when we have to send wives and mothers to war?" .. ESPECIALLY when there are many of us women who are wives and mothers and willingly enlist knowing full-well what we are asking for.

It's rather insulting.. I must say.

Do we have physical limitations in some areas? Sure. But we also have advantages in some areas and have the same mental capacities as the guys. There's nothing wrong with a woman serving in the military. And there is nothing wrong with a change of tradition.

Please don't disrespect those women who proudly serve.

Limatunes;

Please don't take the statement as an insult or be too annoyed. It wasn't intended so. I do respect the women who proudly serve and don't for a moment disparage the American woman's commitment to our nation . It's just that I also respect womanhood and feel that society no longer maintains a proper respect for its women. It's equal opportunity misery for one and all. We American men could spare our women one of the miseries of life by not visiting the horrors of war on them.

For me it goes far beyond a mere change in tradition. Perhaps I'm not politically correct but I feel that gallantry and reverence extended to the fairer sex is not too much to ask of a nation.

Even though we've both passed 50, I can think of no one I'd rather have in an foxhole with me, watching my back than my own sweet wife. She's mentally tough, physically sturdy, fiercely solicitous of my well-being, and very intelligent. She's also a good shot. It's just that I would never willingly place her in such a situation.

Now my 0331 machinegunner, Charley Company, 1/7, USMC son? He'd be more to the point as a foxhole companion.
    atctimmy, RMS and oneshot like this.

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Women generally don't bring a lot to the table in most professions.

Now that's not true! Where'd you come up with that?

Are you one of those who think that women should be "barefoot, pregnant, and in the kitchen" or an adherent to a religion which devalues its women?

Distinguished Member
    To the OP:

Trust me, there is time and room for relations in very questionable places.

Why would women want to be on subs? Simple, the same reasons you want to be. It's exciting and cool and you are on the forefront of ocean technology.

Dirty boat sailors.....have you smelled the crew on a mudboat in the gulf?? Stinky stinky. I once boarded a first class plane out of Galveston (Houston) and people wondered "what that smell was". Well, it was me. Diesel and stink. I'm sure the new nukes with the no smoking policies are super clean.

Share the love of the sea with women. In all cases of the boats I've been on the crew of mostly men has been happy to have me and they say the all guy crew is more tempered by a woman or two. i.e they LIKE it.

Maybe the fact that it won't be the same is a good thing.
    Last edited by cammo; November 5th, 2011 at 11:48 AM.

Women generally don't bring a lot to the table in most professions.
    I personally know of numerous professions and schools where women easily constitute 75-90% of the Top 10 to Top 25%.

Your simple conclusion is rather stark and simplistic. Elaborate?
    bmcgilvray and limatunes like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

"I personally know of numerous professions and schools where women easily constitute 75-90% of the Top 10 to Top 25%."

Yep, both in school and in the world of business. That's bringing quite a lot to the table.

For me, I'm all about less government and more freedom. If there are women who want to work on a sub, let them.
    torgo1968, Sig 210 and Pistology like this.

Senior Moderator
    Lots of 20 somethings men and women confined in close quarters for months at a time?
    Nothing good is going to come from that.

It will not make a more combat effective team and it will be very problematic for Commanding Officers.

It is nothing more than a social experiment fostered upon the miliatary by military loathing liberals.

Ask any real Commanding Officer (not some desk jockey political appointee) what they think about it (privately and off the record) and see what they have to say about it...but do it only if you can handle the truth.
    Gunnutty, 10thmtn, RMS and 2 others like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

My nephew is a submarine navigator based on the west coast. He took some classes with two women doing training in preparation for the day they are allowed on-board submarines. He was quite impressed with both of them and said he wouldn't be worried having them on 'his' sub.
    He has to work under conditions that I can only imagine. If HE doesn't have a problem with having women on-board who am I to say they can't?
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Senior Moderator
    he wouldn't be worried having them on 'his' sub.
    Give him time.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links