Crown Vics - Page 2

Crown Vics

This is a discussion on Crown Vics within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldVet Several CVs has gone up in kabooms when struck from behind here in FL. Unfortunately, they took a couple of troopers ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Crown Vics

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Several CVs has gone up in kabooms when struck from behind here in FL. Unfortunately, they took a couple of troopers with them. That is one reason for their demise, as well as folks no longer are buying the big tanks. Ford can't afford to produce a vehicle solely for LEO use.
    Our new CVPIs have a fire suppression system in them. Big red button that either the driver or passenger can hit.

I haven't driven one of the new ones yet, our unit just gets the old ones that have 80k+ on them and probably a few pursuits under their belt. We had one that was downright scary to drive and they finally retired it, the others aren't too bad but they definitely feel like they've been through the ringer.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    In New York City recently, I have noticed that the NYPD is now using many Nissan Altimas and Ford Fusions on street patrol. Granted that chases in NYC are different, but it was a shock for this Brooklyn boy to see when I remember the V8 Plymouths, Fords and Chevy's they used to use
    One of the smaller cities around here has at least one Ford Edge for supervisor use. I'm curious to see if they start deploying more of them. I doubt they would hold up to patrol use.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I know that a few officers are driving Fusion/Tauruses in Columbia. I did also see somewhere that there was thought of putting an AWD Taurus w/turbos into the fleet. The only problem I can see with this is making sure all the officers learn how to drive AWD cars 'properly'. Because they DO handle differently.

I know the Taurus SHOs are quick. But I really can't see them holding up like a Crown Vic; NO Taurus has ever lived up to what it was supposed to be unless it was a SHO that had been VERY meticulously maintained. Which almost never happened. Ever.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by gigamortis View Post

Dodge has already taken some market share away from Ford in the LE circle with the rear drive Hemi Charger. They are faster and brake in shorter distances than the heavier Crown can.
    And the front end were out faster. One agency I applied to, and did a ride along with 2 years ago, were going back to Crown Vic's because the Chargers were killing their maint. budget.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Chargers are nice, but I like the Challengers better.
    I still cry when I think about my 70 Challenger T/A and the SE that I sold. I want my babies back!!

VIP Member
    we have all CVPI except for 2 unmarked chargers that were purchased for undercover/detective use and to try them out sort of.....
    nowhere near enough room compared to the CV
    we are going to the new Interceptors since the CV are being cancelled
    I think they are engineered way better than the impala and I don't think they will have the same stigma of being a FWD piece of crap, 18" wheels, rotors are 60% larger...yeah baby
    they are engineered/made for police use, not some warmed over regular car
    I know we're getting one of the utilities (SUV) for our newest K9....but don't know about any others....I want one for the head/leg room
    http://www.ford.com/fordpoliceinterc...ery/videos/all
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    In New York City recently, I have noticed that the NYPD is now using many Nissan Altimas and Ford Fusions on street patrol. Granted that chases in NYC are different, but it was a shock for this Brooklyn boy to see when I remember the V8 Plymouths, Fords and Chevy's they used to use
    From what I've seen as far as NY City the cops can get where they need to go faster on foot than in a car
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links