okay, some don't have a problem... - Page 2

okay, some don't have a problem...

This is a discussion on okay, some don't have a problem... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Maverickx50 Any bets on who/if were being occasionally watched/monitored by somebody from ATF, Home Land Security, etc? Privacy is a thing of ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: okay, some don't have a problem...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    Any bets on who/if were being occasionally watched/monitored by somebody from ATF, Home Land Security, etc? Privacy is a thing of the past.
    Not me. I sold all my guns to Mr. Holder.
    Guest1 likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    My daily driver is 30 years old. LOVE to see someone track that thing. The most 'advanced' piece of equipment on it is the 3 year old radio. So, all I have to do to go 'off the grid' is drop my phone somewhere, and I'm gone.

I love my old cars.
    Buckj likes this.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Well, I ditched my FB account because I couldn't stand the direction it has taken. However, google probably knows anything and everything that I do on a daily basis. Since this is an internet forum, I can probably say the same to everyone here, too.
    Dadsnugun likes this.

The black boxes in cars have been around for a while but are getting more common. A friend of mine retired from our old department and is making a comfortable living as an expert witness. He used to teach other cops how to retrieve the information and where to get the box for downloading the data.
    About four years ago there was a case in Houston where the daughter of a judge was involved in a potentially alcohol related fatal accident on I-610. One of the first things her lawyer did was to go to the tow lot and grab the black box out of her car. That is why my old department takes vehicles from fatals back to it's own secure facility instead of a contract tow company lot.

I deleted my facebook account a couple of weeks ago. One of the reasons being their stated plan to use facial recognition to tag you in pictures posted by anyone. They have also said that they are going to compile life histories for their members cross referencing available pictures and information to make sort of an online scrap book for you. If I want that done I will do it myself. There are people and places I might not want to be associated with, and they might not want to be associated with me. If your wife wants you to know that we lived together for six months two years before you met her, that is for her to decide, not facebook.

Googling my first and last name I don't find me in the first five pages of "everything" or the first thirteen pages of pictures. That is how I like it.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I bought all mine from him
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Not me. I sold all my guns to Mr. Holder.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    And yet, in spite of all this supposed government "watching" a creep named Phillip Garrido managed to kidnap an eleven year old girl and keep her imprisoned in his backyard in Antioch, California for eighteen years. Nobody saw anything. Not the neighbors. Not the guy who read the light and water meter. Not the postman. Nobody.

Makes you wonder what they are watching.
    They not watching them . . . They're watching you!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    The black boxes in cars have been around for a while but are getting more common. A friend of mine retired from our old department and is making a comfortable living as an expert witness. He used to teach other cops how to retrieve the information and where to get the box for downloading the data.
    About four years ago there was a case in Houston where the daughter of a judge was involved in a potentially alcohol related fatal accident on I-610. One of the first things her lawyer did was to go to the tow lot and grab the black box out of her car. That is why my old department takes vehicles from fatals back to it's own secure facility instead of a contract tow company lot.

I deleted my facebook account a couple of weeks ago. One of the reasons being their stated plan to use facial recognition to tag you in pictures posted by anyone. They have also said that they are going to compile life histories for their members cross referencing available pictures and information to make sort of an online scrap book for you. If I want that done I will do it myself. There are people and places I might not want to be associated with, and they might not want to be associated with me. If your wife wants you to know that we lived together for six months two years before you met her, that is for her to decide, not facebook.

Googling my first and last name I don't find me in the first five pages of "everything" or the first thirteen pages of pictures. That is how I like it.
    OK, the paranoid side of me comes out once in awhile. Has it ever occurred to folks that all these companies, Google, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, are really owned by CIA, NSA, FBI, TSA, and many more at all levels of government. I mean, are we expected to actually believe these companies were once just little inconsequential young men playing around in their garage, who had bright ideas and turned them into multi-billion dollar companies all by their little selves, with no thought that they would be providing services to the gendarmes at all levels?

Has anyone ever wondered why all traffic wasn't encrypted from the start or all stored data encrypted right out the gate? I don't think it was an economic issue. I don't think it was so Amazon (or whoever) could put adware cookies on your HD. Its more sinister.

"They" really are that sophisticated and sinister. You know, the same "they" in DC we all say can't do anything right.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post

Facial recognition for Harryball.....Imagine what that will look like.......
    atctimmy likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    OK, the paranoid side of me comes out once in awhile. Has it ever occurred to folks that all these companies, Google, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, are really owned by CIA, NSA, FBI, TSA, and many more at all levels of government. I mean, are we expected to actually believe these companies were once just little inconsequential young men playing around in their garage, who had bright ideas and turned them into multi-billion dollar companies all by their little selves, with no thought that they would be providing services to the gendarmes at all levels?

Has anyone ever wondered why all traffic wasn't encrypted from the start or all stored data encrypted right out the gate? I don't think it was an economic issue. I don't think it was so Amazon (or whoever) could put adware cookies on your HD. Its more sinister.

"They" really are that sophisticated and sinister. You know, the same "they" in DC we all say can't do anything right.
    It's all there Hop...every bit of it. It started with innocuous shopper's loyalty cards that gave you a lower price at the supermarket when you scanned the cards. But everything you bought went into the data base. Then you were encouraged to bank online and file taxes online. All of it into a database. It's all there, financials, medicals, websites you visit, ads your mouse hovers over, how long you look at a page, what you watch on television, all of it's in the data base. If your car doesn't track where you go, your cell phone does. Cameras watch you as you drive and as you shop. Satellites in space can photograph the license plate on a car.

But there's so much data, that it's all just noise. It's like having a million radios tuned to a million different stations and all playing at once. Your listening for the one station predicting the next major crisis and you can't hear it for all the other noise. That's the reason people can do pretty audacious things in plain sight and nobody seems to notice.

What was once the information age is now the information overload age.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

And yet, in spite of all this supposed government "watching" a creep named Phillip Garrido managed to kidnap an eleven year old girl and keep her imprisoned in his backyard in Antioch, California for eighteen years. Nobody saw anything. Not the neighbors. Not the guy who read the light and water meter. Not the postman. Nobody.
    Very true. i would add one thing. Especially not the CA parole officer assigned to monitor Garrido.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Well golly, just look at who funded the developement of the internet. Before you had ISPs pouring money into the network backbone you had to have a network for them to pour the money into. The internet was .gov, .mil, and .edu long before .com existed.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Very true. i would add one thing. Especially not the CA parole officer assigned to monitor Garrido.
    And that's the beauty (or perhaps the irony of the whole thing). No matter how sophisticated the equipment and the monitoring techniques, it's still the government running the show. Yeah, that government....the one with the long lines at the drivers license office, the IRS that can't explain their own tax code, the bungling and inept TSA, FEMA, and all the other acronyms. Yep, those folks.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Last night, a guy was getting upset, etc..... and there was some disagreement going on. One guy was being a complete idiot, combative, loud, argumentative, and trying to start things with another guy. I could tell , the other one just wanted to punch out the one guy, but was resisting (couldn't blame him). I couldn't help it, they were separated a couple of minutes at one point and I went up to him and told him... " hey, I know you don't know me, but I thought I would give you something to think about.... do you notice how many cameras are in this place ? ..... you do something stupid, and it's all on tape... you'ld be the one going to jail and you may want to think if it's really worth it " . "Make a report to the police and let them see the tapes, right now he's the one likely to be taking the trip to jail " .

He looked up and around, saw the cameras, straightened out his shirt.... said "thanks".... and walked out the door as the other guy continued to the combative attitude and antagonizing him. I hope he reported it.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Oh c'mon! Everybody knows it's 'cause Al Gore invented the internet, and he just didn't think about it... He just figured everybody'd be as (ahem) benevolent and care about each other and the planet like he does, ya know?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Just to give everyone something to think about: there are a couple of things you can do on line to help reduce your traceable footprint and a few other things to keep in mind as you use your computer.
    1 - How many times do you hear of someone being accused of a crime and the first thing they take is their computer? For this consider using drive encryption. It isn't necessary to encrypt the whole drive, but it might be easier at least in a Windows environment. Use a program like Truecrypt with a really, good password. There have been publicized cases where even the FBI wasn't able to break that. The thing about your computer is the proverbial, "anything you say can and will be used against you..." Well, that goes for anything you buy, anywhere you bank, any emails you have, your taxes, etc.
    2 - Don't use your phone for banking or other transactions. If you wouldn't want to see it in the morning headlines don't do it or save it on your phone
    3 - encrypt your email. This one can be a little tricky, but there was recently a court case that set a really bad precedent. When your email is sitting on your ISP's server, it is considered in plain view / public domain and can be obtained without a warrant. This can get a little tricky because the recipient has to be able to receive encrypted email. There is a plug in for Thunderbird called enigmail that makes this almost automatic. Most of this technology is based upon GPG which is the free PGP equivalent (not created by PGP company). Alternatively you can use one of the secure mail services, like hushmail. There are others that may be a better choice these days, but hushmail says that unless the provincial govt of British Columbia hands them a warrant they won't give them any of your data.
    4 - For web browsing, use a service like TOR. TOR uses a technique called onion routing, where your traffic is broken up into smaller sections which are each sent through random peer to peer paths across the globe and then the final access to the site requested is from a random location called an exit node. The return traffic is handled the same way. It is nearly impossible for anyone to trace your activity this way. Warning about TOR, it is said that certain 3 letter agency operates many of the TOR nodes. One has to wonder why. Of course, I don't think that said agency is concerned with general citizen law enforcement as that is an insignificant threat to them.
    5 - HTTPS sites are a good thing. However, don't rely on it for total privacy. One of the classic spy problems is how do two parties trust each other? The answer is to use a mutually trusted 3rd party to vouch for both of them. This is the certificate authority. When you go to an HTTPS site, the certificate used is produced by a 3rd party. That 3rd party can be compromised, bought, or coerced (stuxnet anyone) and anyone with a counterfeit certificate can decrypt your traffic.
    6 - If you do any web browsing from a public location and have a computer at home, set up a VPN to your home to tunnel your traffic through. This will both encrypt your traffic and keep it safe from prying eyes and change your access point to your home. This is easily done with SSH and on windows there is a utility called PUTTY that will do this. The technique is called using a SOCKS proxy. (I don't trust the paid "proxy" servers, by the way).

Modern computer encryption uses one of many algorithms, such as RSA, AES, DES, Blowfish, Twofish, etc. These algorithms and the programs that use them were largely developed in the public domain, often times by non US citizens. The beauty of these algorithms is that the magic is in a sauce: the encryption key that in many cases YOU generate. Since data is randomized mathematically with these keys only the key can decrypt it. There is no magic, master key. There is also no company that can be coerced into planting a back door. Should one appear, the public which maintains these programs would find it very quickly. This is different from the early days. If you recall there used to be a lot of restrictions on software with a warning like the following: "This software contains high grade encryption and may not be sold or transferred outside of the USA". Well, the weakness here is obvious, so that was fixed (like I said, developed by the public by non US citizens).

Edit: I forgot to mention, with regards to car GPS. It seems that the insurance companies are wanting to go this direction. Of course it is being marketed as being for your benefit, never for your detriment. This brings up a whole litany of "who owns the data" problems.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links