okay, some don't have a problem... - Page 3

okay, some don't have a problem...

This is a discussion on okay, some don't have a problem... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ^^^^ Now that is a crazy post....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: okay, some don't have a problem...

VIP Member
    ^^^^ Now that is a crazy post.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    ^^^^ Now that is a crazy post.

It's a crazy world out there and your internet activity IS being watched. You can count on it.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Where is George Orwell (1984) when we need him for an update?
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Senior Moderator
    Maybe I won't sound paranoid enough for this thread when I say that I don't give a rat's butt if someone wants to come and look through my computer or my browsing history.

You know what they'd find?

Amazon searches for baby books, lots of hits on weather.com for the forecast, emails arranging babysitters and play dates and sharing recipes for apple cider. My FB is a list of nonsense that had nothing to do with my daily routine (as if I had one) or anything overly personal. If I wouldn't be okay with the world knowing it/seeing it I don't put it on the internet.... period. That includes pictures, what I'm doing, where I'm going, what I own, etc.

If people want to watch me they are going to find themselves bored out of their mind. I doubt I'll be caught up in any Enemy of the State scenario any time soon.

And as of right now if they (meaning the authorities) want anything from me they are going to have to go through legal channels to get it. Want to get into my home? They still need probable cause or a warrant. Want to take anything? Still need a warrant.

Who knows.... maybe DefensiveCarry is ran by a bunch of government feds who just want to know more about you. Again, for me? So what! Anything I post is within legal boundaries to the best of my knowledge, as polite as I can make it sound, etc.

Does it bother me that so much about me is so accessible? Sure.

But, as stated, that's the state we live in now. Everything is computerized, databased, tracked, monitored, etc. But as stated it's information OVERLOAD!!!

If the "government" wants to track down the guns they can just go to any house in America as there are, on average, 3-6 guns per American household. If the "government" wants to monitor terrorist talk on the internet they had better have a staff about as equal to the population of the US as even here on DC the word "terrorist" or "bomb" or "shooting" is used at least 30 times a day and let's not even consider sites like LiveLeak, YouTube, GlockTalk, etc, etc, etc.

There is NO way they could keep up.

Needless to say, I'm not too horribly worried....

... yet.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post

If people want to watch me they are going to find themselves bored out of their mind.
    Why am I not believing this part? What ever you many be I doubt boring is one of them.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I am waiting for cars to come with an auto shut off that the authorities can use to stop us.
    "When war does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the
    scabbard." -General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post

It's a crazy world out there and your internet activity IS being watched. You can count on it.
    Well, I guess the part that I think is crazy is that people would be stupid enough to discuss criminal activity on any electronic device.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Maybe I won't sound paranoid enough for this thread when I say that I don't give a rat's butt if someone wants to come and look through my computer or my browsing history.

You know what they'd find?

Amazon searches for baby books, lots of hits on weather.com for the forecast, emails arranging babysitters and play dates and sharing recipes for apple cider. My FB is a list of nonsense that had nothing to do with my daily routine (as if I had one) or anything overly personal. If I wouldn't be okay with the world knowing it/seeing it I don't put it on the internet.... period. That includes pictures, what I'm doing, where I'm going, what I own, etc.

If people want to watch me they are going to find themselves bored out of their mind. I doubt I'll be caught up in any Enemy of the State scenario any time soon.

And as of right now if they (meaning the authorities) want anything from me they are going to have to go through legal channels to get it. Want to get into my home? They still need probable cause or a warrant. Want to take anything? Still need a warrant.

Who knows.... maybe DefensiveCarry is ran by a bunch of government feds who just want to know more about you. Again, for me? So what! Anything I post is within legal boundaries to the best of my knowledge, as polite as I can make it sound, etc.

Does it bother me that so much about me is so accessible? Sure.

But, as stated, that's the state we live in now. Everything is computerized, databased, tracked, monitored, etc. But as stated it's information OVERLOAD!!!

If the "government" wants to track down the guns they can just go to any house in America as there are, on average, 3-6 guns per American household. If the "government" wants to monitor terrorist talk on the internet they had better have a staff about as equal to the population of the US as even here on DC the word "terrorist" or "bomb" or "shooting" is used at least 30 times a day and let's not even consider sites like LiveLeak, YouTube, GlockTalk, etc, etc, etc.

There is NO way they could keep up.

Needless to say, I'm not too horribly worried....

... yet.
    This is my feeling almost perfectly stated by Limatunes. Nice post Lima.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by TangoMonkey View Post
    I am waiting for cars to come with an auto shut off that the authorities can use to stop us.
    I seem to recall a case where they did exactly this with OnStar. The car was stolen and they had a remote shutdown issues to it and it stopped. See the following: Schneier on Security: OnStar to Stop Cars Remotely In addition to all the 'hacking' potential, I don't like the idea of even a supposed "authority" having this capability.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Well, I guess the part that I think is crazy is that people would be stupid enough to discuss criminal activity on any electronic device.
    Many criminals get caught because they couldn't keep their mouths shut. Many innocent people get criminalized for the same reason. Secure communication and evading those who would otherwise track you is always going to be an escalating game of cat and mouse. For example, going from land lines to cell phones to disposable cell phones to VOIP with encryption and onion routing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    Many criminals get caught because they couldn't keep their mouths shut. Many innocent people get criminalized for the same reason. Secure communication and evading those who would otherwise track you is always going to be an escalating game of cat and mouse. For example, going from land lines to cell phones to disposable cell phones to VOIP with encryption and onion routing.
    I get ya. I'm old school so I don't even know what I don't know about new tech. I just wouldn't even begin to know what is secure and what isn't. So if I was in doubt about what to use I would use good old fashion silence. EMCON always works.

VIP Member
    OK, the paranoid side of me comes out once in awhile. Has it ever occurred to folks that all these companies, Google, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, are really owned by CIA, NSA, FBI, TSA, and many more at all levels of government. I mean, are we expected to actually believe these companies were once just little inconsequential young men playing around in their garage, who had bright ideas and turned them into multi-billion dollar companies all by their little selves, with no thought that they would be providing services to the gendarmes at all levels?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Further proof that the feds are tracking everything that we do:

Busted! Two New Fed GPS Trackers Found on SUV | Threat Level | Wired.com

So if your smartphone isn't telling the government everything you are doing, they will fit your car with one! Lol... scary.

any one read F. Paul Wilson's repair man jack series,fits this topic really well

There are ways to disappear, but it is getting tougher. One of the keys is managing your "footprint" to begin with. The bigger it is, the harder it is to erase without it looking suspicious. If you jump up and start doing a bunch of the more visible stuff one morning people might notice. If they notice they might get inquisitive.
    Now no one would question your going from credit card to debit card on purchases. That is just using the money you have and avoiding interest. Now with the talk from the big banks about debit card fees going up, there is a convenient excuse to start paying cash. No big deal.
    But if you had been buying everything you ever bought at your favorite gun shop on American Express but then suddenly pay cash for that shotgun and ammo, your routine purchase might not seem so routine. If you have always driven leased BMWs that are never more than two years old, bringing home that 1974 Ford Maverick might get some attention. But if it were a cherry 1965 Mustang or a 1967 Camaro who would question it?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Next we will be asked to line up for an ID mark on the hand or forehead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links