Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Silences Crowd After Laughter

This is a discussion on Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Silences Crowd After Laughter within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Biomortis I thought the announcement by the solder on duty was perfect. It alerted and educated a small group that it was ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Silences Crowd After Laughter

Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I thought the announcement by the solder on duty was perfect. It alerted and educated a small group that it was recommended that they modify their behavior, even if it was not, to the best of my knowledge, illegal. You, however, think it is also necessary to physically assault a group of people for enjoying the freedoms that these soldiers fought and died for. That, sir, is showing true disrespect.
    Oh please! It was a figure of speech. But I happen to agree with him, sometimes people need a little tap on the head. Todays breed are lazy, disrespectful, and codified. Im sure if the dead soldier could have heard the laughter and disrespect he would have have put the bootleather to them himself.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

2. Remove Ads

Well Done !!

I think we as a society need to be more active in calling people out for disrespectful behavior. I realize that we may then be putting ourselves in a position that we as ccer's try to avoid.
    That is a confrontation. I think in many cases this could be done without escalation. Don't challenge or call names just point out the behavior and ask that they stop. " I would appreciate if you did not
    use that kind of language where children are present ". And glockman you are right sometimes they may need a little tap on the head.

VIP Member
    Job well done, soldier.

About the disrespectful, it was He who said long ago, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Boot Camp is indicated for them. Gunny, call your office.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Oh please! It was a figure of speech. But I happen to agree with him, sometimes people need a little tap on the head. Todays breed are lazy, disrespectful, and codified. Im sure if the dead soldier could have heard the laughter and disrespect he would have have put the bootleather to them himself.
    There is nothing whatsoever in his wording that implies levity or that it was just a figure of speech but seeing that you also endorse the use of violence in that situation, I can only hope that you are wrong in assuming what the dead solders actions would have been.
    Glock 22 (G2) & 27 (G3)
    S&W 686 .357 4" Stainless Pre-lock
    Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 65 .22LR - 1968
    Remington Model 31 16ga - 1932
    Remington 1900 12ga - 1904

I had the volume up when I looked at the video and my Wife come in from the other room wondering who was yelling!!! I replayed the video for her....her response was "Good for him"! However I must admit a faux pas once that was similiar and got a similiar reaction by the guard. Getting off the ferry at the Arizona Memorial I forgot take my hat off. The guard there said in a loud tone "All hats will be removed while in the memorial"! My Wife looked at me and said you of all people to forget that. I still feel bad about that.

Below is another link during the ceremony of the Changing of the Guard at The Tomb, a spectator tries to cross the barrier railing and the guard immediately goes to "port arms" and demands all spectators remain behind the rail.

Sentinel reacts aggressively when tourist at Arlington 'Tomb of the Unknown' crosses barrier.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    There is nothing whatsoever in his wording that implies levity or that it was just a figure of speech but seeing that you also endorse the use of violence in that situation, I can only hope that you are wrong in assuming what the dead solders actions would have been.
    I agree with your spirit, my friend. I think that what glockman10mm was saying is that he or 64zebra don't intend to initiate physical contact were they on site. The sentinel squelched the problem with an apt request - small in comparison to the sacrifice of our military personnel.
    Impressive discipline reminding me that boots on the ground protecting my freedom and its icons might be dress shoes.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

As a veteran, these videos make me proud of our young men who would take on such a grueling task out of honor. Makes me proud to be a citizen of this great nation. These men exemplify all that is still good about our great country.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    THAT IS GREAT!!! needs to be followed up by imprinting the butt stock on the face of the disrespectful jerks IMO
    Actually, I think this should be reserved for the parents for raising such disrespectful, and just plain ignorant, offspring.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    Job well done, soldier.

About the disrespectful, it was He who said long ago, "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."

Boot Camp is indicated for them. Gunny, call your office.
    The sad thing is, sometimes, they do know. That is the world we live in today.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Thanks for the faq mkh
    Yes. I am grateful to have learned more about the Tomb and the soldiers who guard it. The guards are there to prevent disrespect. That's their job.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

At least one thing in America is right....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    Visited the tomb when I was younger, but not too young for it to be one of the most respectable memorials I'll ever have knowledge of.
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Some interesting facts about the men (and women) that guard the tomb - FAQ
    From the FAQ website "Today, most of the challenges faced by the Sentinels are tourists who want to get a better picture or uncontrolled children (which generally is very frightening for the parent when the Soldier challenges the child)."

Now I'd like to see a video of the Soldier putting an unruly child in his place. Hah!
    SigPro 2340
    Bersa Thunder Plus .380

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links