Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Silences Crowd After Laughter - Page 3

Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Silences Crowd After Laughter

This is a discussion on Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Silences Crowd After Laughter within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Biomortis I thought the announcement by the solder on duty was perfect. It alerted and educated a small group that it was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Officer on Duty at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier Silences Crowd After Laughter

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis View Post
    I thought the announcement by the solder on duty was perfect. It alerted and educated a small group that it was recommended that they modify their behavior, even if it was not, to the best of my knowledge, illegal. You, however, think it is also necessary to physically assault a group of people for enjoying the freedoms that these soldiers fought and died for. That, sir, is showing true disrespect.
    It's a shame this forum only gives us a "like" button, I certainly could and would have used a "dislike" button here.
    Anyone who would act so disrespectfully at the Tomb, needs a boot up their ass, and most likely because Mommy and Daddy never gave it to them when it was needed.
    But thats just my $.02 cent opinion.
    phreddy and Eagleks like this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    I just have to say that the OP made my day with this post. Thank you, Sarisataka for such an appropriate message for today. I've forwarded the link to several friends.

I think the soldier handled the situation in an appropriate and highly professional manner. There was no need to use any type of force because the offending behavior ceased after a verbal challenge.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I just have to say that the OP made my day with this post. Thank you, Sarisataka for such an appropriate message for today. I've forwarded the link to several friends.
    It is my pleasure

Things like this make me even prouder to say I served. Also I believe raising veteran awareness helps to bring the long overdue recognition of those who served in the cold war and conflicts of the 50s, 60s and 70s. I have shared many laughs and tears with these vets, learning things that have never made it into the school books.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin

I thought the announcement by the solder on duty was perfect. It alerted and educated a small group that it was recommended that they modify their behavior, even if it was not, to the best of my knowledge, illegal. You, however, think it is also necessary to physically assault a group of people for enjoying the freedoms that these soldiers fought and died for. That, sir, is showing true disrespect.
    umm....which freedom would that be?? Similar to prohibitions to yelling "FIRE" in a theater, there is a time and place to be an idiot....The Tomb of the Unknown is NOT one of those places.

Those who think they shouldn't be corrected for their behavior should fill one of these out: https://www.fillanypdf.com/SharedFor...gs-Report.aspx
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomortis
    Originally Posted by glockman10mm
    Oh please! It was a figure of speech. But I happen to agree with him, sometimes people need a little tap on the head. Todays breed are lazy, disrespectful, and codified. Im sure if the dead soldier could have heard the laughter and disrespect he would have have put the bootleather to them himself.
    There is nothing whatsoever in his wording that implies levity or that it was just a figure of speech but seeing that you also endorse the use of violence in that situation, I can only hope that you are wrong in assuming what the dead solders actions would have been.
    ok, get a grip.....it was a joke Biomortis, get over yourself trying to be high and mighty on here responding to posts made tongue in cheek in reference to idiots and them needing to be shown how disrespectful they are,
    and no, what I said is not true disrespect, what is true disrespect is these idiots that have no control over themselves and hold no respect for what they are watching and having complete lack of reverence that the place deserves

I have a ton of family/friends in or served in the military so I'm fully aware of what soldiers do, how they should be respected, and that there are truly ignorant idiots in this world that could use a pop upside the head to show them they are idiots....that being said...I in no way endorse or encourage assaulting anyone out of frustration (though a lot do deserve it) and only condone and encourage force being used on people when its appropriate
    there....is that better?
    geez
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Amen.... point well made in few words. A good example.

It IS the Tomb of the Unknown soldier, not only recognizing all of those who have fought and died for this country, but.... of those who were KIA and never found, or could never be identified, and to never return to the families and country waiting for them. With many, laying in foreign lands and forever resting in unidentified locations.

A bit of respect, is an under-statement.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Anyone who survives into adulthood (those laughs certainly sounded like an adult), and does not know that all of Arlington is sacred ground, should be put in their place.

Disrespectful behavior is rampant in our society, somewhere along the way, people forgot how to properly act in public. And that is a damn shame.

Good on the Old Guard, their post is a privilege, and to hold it comes with a sacred and somber duty. If we as a general nation are to the point where we forget to honor those who have sacrificed everything for our freedoms, that makes me truly sad.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Very nice, this crowd did not get what they deserved tho.

I wonder if the way the soldier reacted is simply he was following the orders of a Tomb Guard! I don't think for one second he over reacted...his maner and tone were perfect for the situation.

VIP Member
    A couple of things to ponder for those who think the soldier might have over reacted, or that some posts indicating a solid correction are in order.

The tomb is hallowed ground.
    The honor guard is there to pay tribute, protect, and "educate" the public when required.
    Our culture has a long standing tradition of paying respect at graveside, in a respectful, quiet, and dignified manner.

Many younger folks today think that tradition does not matter and they can do what the please, when they please, regardless of circumstance. They and their parents need "schooling" at times.

Basically, it is about respect and shame. We all need to have both.

Great video thanks.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by kwoodford View Post
    I wonder if the way the soldier reacted is simply he was following the orders of a Tomb Guard! I don't think for one second he over reacted...his maner and tone were perfect for the situation.
    That's exactly what happened. The soldier followed his SOPs....if being spoken to in a loud voice hurts someones feelings, see my previous post, complete and return to me.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links