Bad cop

This is a discussion on Bad cop within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by oneeyedwilly Yes I can. I function check my detector every morning. I think maybe you have trouble with metonymy. There's a word ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 76
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bad cop

  1. #31
    Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Willis, TX
    Posts
    1,225
    Quote Originally Posted by oneeyedwilly View Post
    Yes I can. I function check my detector every morning. I think maybe you have trouble with metonymy.
    There's a word I'm not familiar with.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,529
    This from the original post, if true, should lead to an indictment of the officer.

    "the officer handcuffs his and lays him on his chest in the street,the officer asks if he has any weapons drugs ect and my buddy says no and can you please tell me why im being treated like this and the officer still doesnt answer him. The officers starts to pat him down and my buddy say all I have in my pocket is a cell phone its in my left front pocket as ther officer reaches in to get it my buddy raises his hip to allow the officer room to retrieve it at this time the officer raised up and kicks my buddy in the kidney "


    Since when is it OK to kick someone in the kidney who is handcuffed? Don't even try to rationalize it.
    Close the thread if that makes you feel better.

    The plain truth some don't want to recognize is that there really are some bad apples out there in uniform. In our community a former State Trooper was just indicted for an off duty road rage incident and fired from his job. I can only imagine how he behaved in uniform.

    All I can add and it has nothing to do with guns, but much on this site drifts from that topic, is that I routinely wear some T- shirts given to me by an active duty LEO I sometimes meet at the gym. So please don't put me in the anti-cop category. That's not where I am.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  4. #33
    JD
    JD is offline
    Administrator
    Array JD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    19,123
    Who's trying to rationalize him being kicked? No duh there's bad cops out there, no one is disputing that either.

    What posts are you guys reading that I can't see?

  5. #34
    Member Array scott625's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    170
    The questions that come to my mind, and this would be a question for a LEO is what manner of recourse does this person have. How can they obtain a video, if there is one, and is there an internal affairs unit for this department. If there isn't, can an complaint be filed with the State Police?

    For a LEO, are video camera tapes/memory retrieved and saved every night or or only if something happens? Is there any danger of the tapes being overwritten, and/or are these routinely used in court as evidence?

  6. #35
    VIP Member
    Array Hopyard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Disappeared
    Posts
    11,529
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Who's trying to rationalize him being kicked? No duh there's bad cops out there, no one is disputing that either.

    What posts are you guys reading that I can't see?
    The ire in my comment wasn't about your or Lima's posts. Let's just move on so we all remain 'friends.'
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

  7. #36
    VIP Member
    Array gunthorp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    home office
    Posts
    2,355
    I can't comment about something while it's still third party "he said she said." However, I am interested to hear what happens next. If we can refrain from conjectured indignation, maybe the thread will still be around when more results are in. Meanwhile I am shocked, shocked...

    I will say this. If you're lit up, park in a safe, well lighted, area. Turn the motor off. Turn the dome light on. Get your ID out and on the dash. Place your open hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel. Make eye contact with and smile at the Officer. Say something polite like "Good day Officer." Pay attention and follow any orders in a graceful manner. Tell him where your ID is, and ask his permission to reach for it. Answer all questions without hesitation, but do not elaborate unnecessarily or consent to a search. Do not chit chat with or question an Officer on duty. If you are restrained, or detained, do not move a muscle unless told to do so.

    Some things you do not say:

    Officer, hold my beer while I find the permit for this dang thing.
    I can't even do that when I'm sober.
    You work for me, because I pay your salary.
    Why aren't you out there catching murderers, like you're supposed to.
    I have my rights.
    Peace, bro.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

    Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

  8. #37
    Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,824
    I have been following this thread since the original post and until now have been deliberately not commenting on it. Having had some time to think about it, I keep coming to the conclusion that there is almost certainly more to this story than we are aware off. Even if the officer were the Genghis Kahn of the department, most people don't act that way and to that degree without some form of provocation, even when they are having a proverbial bad day. Until such time as I have facts of the situation and had a chance to evaluate said facts objectively, I will hold judgment.

    That being said, if the situation is as it seems (and I emphasize seems), the officer in question should be dealt with extreme severity. For an ordinary citizen to engage another person in this manner is a crime. For it to be done from a position of authority is heinous.

  9. #38
    VIP Member Array Gene83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    2,220
    Quote Originally Posted by noway2 View Post
    I have been following this thread since the original post and until now have been deliberately not commenting on it. Having had some time to think about it, I keep coming to the conclusion that there is almost certainly more to this story than we are aware off. Even if the officer were the Genghis Kahn of the department, most people don't act that way and to that degree without some form of provocation, even when they are having a proverbial bad day. Until such time as I have facts of the situation and had a chance to evaluate said facts objectively, I will hold judgment.

    That being said, if the situation is as it seems (and I emphasize seems), the officer in question should be dealt with extreme severity. For an ordinary citizen to engage another person in this manner is a crime. For it to be done from a position of authority is heinous.
    I'm with you. I'm grasping at straws but this is the only thing I can see in the original post...

    my buddy asks why what did i do wrong as he leans over to get his wallet out of his pocket

    When he leaned over, could the officer have thought he was going for a weapon? I've made it a practice now that if I see blue lights, I just pull out the wallet and lay it on the dashboard. My hands are on the steering wheel and the wallet is in plain sight when the officer arrives at the window.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

  10. #39
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    The ire in my comment wasn't about your or Lima's posts. Let's just move on so we all remain 'friends.'
    I guess it was about mine, which was taken way out of context based on a illogical assumption.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  11. #40
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NSA Headquarters
    Posts
    6,358
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I guess it was about mine, which was taken way out of context based on a illogical assumption.
    I think Hopy is just in a bad mood today.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

  12. #41
    VIP Member Array mlr1m's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    okla
    Posts
    4,298
    Quote Originally Posted by scott625 View Post
    The questions that come to my mind, and this would be a question for a LEO is what manner of recourse does this person have. How can they obtain a video, if there is one, and is there an internal affairs unit for this department. If there isn't, can an complaint be filed with the State Police?

    For a LEO, are video camera tapes/memory retrieved and saved every night or or only if something happens? Is there any danger of the tapes being overwritten, and/or are these routinely used in court as evidence?
    Interesting question. Is it difficult to get access to these tapes?

    Michael

  13. #42
    Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    1,671
    IMO, the officer may have thought your friend was reaching for something other than his wallet when he asked about what he did and shifted his weight. I'm sure people, in the past, have reached for a weapon as opposed to a wallet w/driver's license when asked for lic. & reg.

    This is all 3rd person info so its possible that we don't know all that happened and the way it happened so its possible the friend didn't tell all of it and at the same time, its possible the officer is a dirty cop. Also, perhaps, the whole thing was a really big misunderstanding. I work with people everyday that misinterpret things and freak out over misunderstandings.

  14. #43
    Senior Member Array kb2wji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I'm with you. I'm grasping at straws but this is the only thing I can see in the original post...

    my buddy asks why what did i do wrong as he leans over to get his wallet out of his pocket

    When he leaned over, could the officer have thought he was going for a weapon? I've made it a practice now that if I see blue lights, I just pull out the wallet and lay it on the dashboard. My hands are on the steering wheel and the wallet is in plain sight when the officer arrives at the window.
    This works especially well in Mexico. (Oh, i'm very sorry sir... can I give the fine directly to you so you can deliver it to the judge?)

  15. #44
    Senior Member Array dripster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    618
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yes. And rights do not have to be read to him simply because he is arrested. That is TV folklore.
    Remember interrogation requires rights to be read. Interview doesn't.
    One more step and it's on!

  16. #45
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,630
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Interesting question. Is it difficult to get access to these tapes?

    Michael
    Nope. FOIA.

    Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    Remember interrogation requires rights to be read. Interview doesn't.
    A non custodial interview does not require. But, given the type of crime we are considering, I highly doubt the officer would have done either. There is no need too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

good cop bad cop todays law enfrcement the good side and the bad
,
green aces cop report
,
joseph rosario retired usaf
,

msgt joseph rosario retired usaf

Click on a term to search for related topics.