Bad cop - Page 4

Bad cop

This is a discussion on Bad cop within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIXTO A non custodial interview does not require. But, given the type of crime we are considering, I highly doubt the officer ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Bad cop

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    A non custodial interview does not require. But, given the type of crime we are considering, I highly doubt the officer would have done either. There is no need too.
    OK SIXTO, for my own education, if I am in handcuffs in the back of the squad am I not in custody? I am obviously not free to go.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Ok, now I have to show my ignorance and ask; what's the difference between interrogation and interview? This is asked out of true sincerity and no sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    This works especially well in Mexico. (Oh, i'm very sorry sir... can I give the fine directly to you so you can deliver it to the judge?)
    I'm sure it probably does, although I've never been to Mexico. The idea is to keep my hands visible now that I have a firearm riding directly above my wallet. We don't want to have any awkward moments, you know.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

I gotta go with Sixto's take on this...

First off... the police do not have to mirandize you. As Sixto says.... thats only on TV. Satements made while not in custody may well be admited in court. The combination of custody, and questioning trigger the recomendation of miranda warnings.

As far as this particular cop. It may be very well that he overstepped his boundries. Or maybe he didnt. None of us was there. Also there are things the police do that some civilians do not understand.

As far as getting the tapes or any other police material... Before trial there will probably be a Rosario hearing where the defense can demand all pertinant materal in the case from the police, and states attorney.

Spuk

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by DefConGun View Post
    Ok, now I have to show my ignorance and ask; what's the difference between interrogation and interview? This is asked out of true sincerity and no sarcasm.
    Generally speaking, an interview is non custodial and takes a soft approach. An interrogation is custodial, although that is not set in stone. The word interrogation is often misused, and assumed to mean rubber hoses, cigarettes and phone books like on TV- reality is another story.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Hummmm, all interesting. I've seen great LEO's , extremely honest & professional LEO's, complete incompetants, corrupt one's, and 'bad' ones ... in the sense they think the badge justifies anything they do. The good and great one's , typically far outweigh the later. However, an encounter with the latter, can make for a bad day.

While reading all of this.... I was just imaging "what if" this guy had told the officer.... "I'm a CC holder and I am carrying" ..... ugh...

I think there is a good point in all of this. You don't know what kind of LEO the one you are about to deal with is, no more than they know what kind of person any of us are as they approach us. We can only do whatever is within our ability to keep it a positive one, if someone decides to take it another direction...... our best option is to cooperate at the time and raise hell later through the proper channels, attorneys and courts.

So, assuming the comments are all there was, and are totally accurate..... the friend should get an attorney, who should obtain the cam tape if there is one, testimony / deposition of the witnesses, and 1) defend him of any charges filed, 2) file a lawsuit to make sure the City takes serious note of what this officer is going to cost them.

If... an attorney talks to the DA and shows him the officer's behavior was out of line, and the charges are bogus, if they have any intelligence they will drop the charges faster than a steaming hot rock.

Here is my bet, some neighbor called the police and told them that there was an "unknown" suspicious person sitting out there talking with 2 young girls...... and the officer was checking him out, when ... for whatever reason (maybe friend seemed suspicious, resistive in giving information, or belligerent) , the officer decided to get him out of the car to handcuff him so that he couldn't do anything or drive away. And at that point, he owes the friend no explanation as to why he is doing what he is doing .... he's in the investigative stage and protecting himself, as well as making sure the friend is not going anywhere nor going to do something stupid. The officer does not want to find himself in a fight with someone and doesn't know if they are armed or not, or could mean him harm or not.

Then, if he was very belligerent and rolling around and 'resisting" in any way, the officer decided that was that, and took him in.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    OK SIXTO, for my own education, if I am in handcuffs in the back of the squad am I not in custody? I am obviously not free to go.
    Yes, that would mean you are in custody.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I hate to interject this but as it may have some bearing...... is there a racial aspect to this story that we are not aware of at this point?? Just curious.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    A good rule of thumb for anyone out there: When in a encounter with a LEO & they ask for something or where something is (that you're willing to divulge,) calmly ask the officer if it's ok to reach for the item yourself or if you may physically assist them in any way. It would help ensure clear communications.

I'm not sure if this would've changed the outcome of the OP's story, not having been there myself.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigkahuna View Post
    I hate to interject this but as it may have some bearing...... is there a racial aspect to this story that we are not aware of at this point?? Just curious.
    Yeah, I too wonder if the buddy was driving a Delorean.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If true, buddy should consult with a lawyer. Meanwhile, OP should learn to type. Man, was that difficult to read.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post

Some things you do not say:

Officer, hold my beer while I find the permit for this dang thing.
    I can't even do that when I'm sober.
    You work for me, because I pay your salary.
    Why aren't you out there catching murderers, like you're supposed to.
    I have my rights.
    Peace, bro.
    you forgot a big one.

"don't tase me, bro!", in a whiny male little girl voice.
    Secret Spuk and mook012 like this.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

After wading through all the comments I do have a thing or two on this. I have a very good friend in Florida who is a Police Officer. I have gone on a citizens ride with him many years ago. Everyone who has no clue what Police go through on a daily basis need to do this once. It is a very stressful, and most time a thankless job. He wants to retire soon, I hope he can.

Not all Police are like this, many have to deal with the stress of not knowing what may happen with that "next" encounter with Joe Public. With the specter of drugs and those who deal them from cars, a person may appear to be suspicious even though they are completely innocent of a crime. Could be they have parked in an area frequented by drug dealers.

There should be and needs to be a thorough investigation. As we know, we are all human and some of us can be in jobs we are not qualifed and hence some of the "bad" cops. It only takes one to make all of them look awful. Not only that, but there can be bad people in every occupation, it really doesn't matter, but Police get more attention when they go sour.

It will be interesting to see the outcome of this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    First off... the police do not have to mirandize you. As Sixto says.... thats only on TV. Satements made while not in custody may well be admited in court. The combination of custody, and questioning trigger the recomendation of miranda warnings.
    It is for the above reason that I will never understand why people say more than they absolutely need to. Never in a million years would I say a word to an officer that was investigating an incident involving me that I didn't absolutely have to. Shut up and lawyer up...best advice ever.

On topic, it is my understanding that prior to asking you any questions after they place you in custody they must advise you of your miranda rights, so the statement that officers don't have to mirandize you is misleading...they do if they want to talk to you after placing you under arrest.

For a little better understanding of our Miranda rights. Here is a small article on the subject. We all should know our rights, before pretending to know them, It might cost you in the end.

The Miranda Warning - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links