police

police

This is a discussion on police within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; is being a police officer a good living...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: police

police

is being a police officer a good living

yes and no

purple and 87

Ask Sixto,being a LEO isn't like what you see on TV,theres a lot of forms to fill out,at least there was before computers,going to court,both traffic and criminal,If your not dedicated and just looking for a paycheck you probably won't stick around for very long
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Depends on where you want to be; there are some areas that you can make a good living, upwards of 100k. You are expected to be educated and professional. Other places not so much. You might make 9 bucks an hour.
    People will always second guess you and know how to do your job even though they have never done it; they saw something TV and now they are an expert. ( read through the threads here) you come off one call where somebody blew their head off right in front of you, and you must put your officer friendly face on so the dingle berry whom "hasn't done anything wrong" on the next call doesn't get his feeeewings hurt. You do get to see and do a lot more than most people ever will, and you will get a stark education in reality of human nature rather quick.

But yeah, if you are strong willed and thick skinned, it isn't a bad gig. Not many people can do it, as is evident from the number of "ex leo" around. Most people will wash out quickly or
    right around the 10 year mark. Good news is, patrol is a young mans game, so if you start early, you can retire early... Unless the pensions thieves have their way. You will be always fighting to keep what you have earned, since the popularity of the class warfare tactic since the fat men in suits crashed the economy.

Or you can just ask me why I lasted posted around 230 am, and here I am rambling on at 630am, with a full 12 hour work day a head of me-
    Last edited by SIXTO; November 16th, 2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: fixed a lot of typos
    sigmanluke likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Depends on where you want to be; there are some areas that you can make a good living, upwards of 100k. You are expected to be educated and professional. Other places not so much. You might make 9 bucks an hour.
    People will always second guess you and know how to do your job even though they have never done it; they saw something TV and now they are an expert. ( read through the threads here) you come off one call where somebody blew their head off right in front of you, and you must but your officer friendly face on so the dingle berry whom " hasn't done anything wrong" on the next call doesn't get his feeeewings hurt. You do get to see and do a lot more than most people ever will, and you will get a stark education in reality of human nature rather quick.
    But yeah, if you are string willed and thick skinned, it isn't a bad gig.
    As one of the officers I used to run a lot of calls with said "It's a front row seat to the greatest show on Earth".

Sometimes, though, it's like a Gallagher show - the folks in the front row get hit with the stuff that flies off the stage...
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

No. Too much political bs and too many ass kissers.

For me it was good job security and a retirement package at the end of tour.

I had a lot of fun and made a lot of friends.

I hope I was able to help some people through some troubled times along the way.

As with everything else in life the times change.

I believe it is much more difficult today to be a LEO than it was when I began in 1968.

The world and it's problems are much more complex and yet the basics remain the same, interaction with other people during crisis situations.

As the old saying goes " police work is 99% pure bordom and 1% pure terror", give or take a few percentage points either way.

It was a good career choice for me.

Research, talk to LEO's and do some ride alongs to find out if it could be right for you.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Compaired to What!?
    Quote Originally Posted by glock42 View Post

I go with old school. Started in 1971. Pulled the pin November last year. Today? No way.

If your not dedicated and just looking for a paycheck you probably won't stick around for very long
    True with most jobs or careers.......

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    We may be heading towards turbulent times. The present and former police officers and military personnel who donate their time to this forum exemplify the finest citizenship that keeps America safe and free. Both the horror of war and the depravity of sociopaths can take their toll on the idealist. But some of the rewards are laid up in heaven. As citizens we pledge our allegiance; as officers we swear an oath. Whatever your choice, whatever your mission, may God bless you and keep you safe.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Awesome,Well Said!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post
    We may be heading towards turbulent times. The present and former police officers and military personnel who donate their time to this forum exemplify the finest citizenship that keeps America safe and free. Both the horror of war and the depravity of sociopaths can take their toll on the idealist. But some of the rewards are laid up in heaven. As citizens we pledge our allegiance; as officers we swear an oath. Whatever your choice, whatever your mission, may God bless you and keep you safe.

If your doing it for the money... It's probably not the job for you... ButI could say that about 70% of all the cops I've known.

Quote Originally Posted by gunthorp View Post

Why thank you.... Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by glock42 View Post
    I didn't feel it was. I pursued other avenues in the system that were more personally rewarding as well as financially rewarding. But it depends on what you want to do. Having down time with short bursts of adrenaline and dealing with the worst of people all day long wasn't for me. Kudos to the ones that do it and have done it for many years. It just became to politically correct and microscopic for me. But if you like adrenaline rushes, surprise, and change on a daily basis and can handle the ridiculous amounts of documentation to go along with it then you should consider it.
    Magnum likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links