The tone of this covergage / headline frosts me...

This is a discussion on The tone of this covergage / headline frosts me... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Headline: " has killed before " How about : "did his job, very effectively" Deputy who shot, killed suspect during Royal Palm Beach home invasion ...

Thread: The tone of this covergage / headline frosts me...

VIP Member

Thumbs down The tone of this covergage / headline frosts me...

Headline: "has killed before"

How about: "did his job, very effectively"

Deputy who shot, killed suspect during Royal Palm Beach home invasion has killed before

The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office says deputy Eric Bethel responded as masked and armed intruders forced their way into the home. When deputies arrived, the intruders tried to run.

That's when, PBSO says, 24-year-old Jamar F. Anderson paused for a moment, then drove at the officers. Deputy Bethel fired one shot, struck Anderson in the neck and killed him.
    IMHO, "Well done Deputy Eric Bethel."

Yup. I know I'm but some coverage really does frost me.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    Technically correct, the media and police traditionally enjoy a mutually beneficial relationship.

So I was taught in Journalism courses many years ago.

As George Orwell says, "people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

I didn't see any mention of the BG's past history.

Where are the typical interviews with relatives/neighbors? "He was a good kid, just trying to get
    his life turned around..."

Yeah, right...

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Must be the PB Post. Anything to sell papers. You mess with the cops, they mess back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post
    Technically correct, the media and police traditionally enjoy a mutually beneficial relationship.

As George Orwell says, "people sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf".
    IMHO, "technically correct" and tone are two different issues.

As always, YMMV
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Pistology View Post

"Mother raped had long history of sexual relations"

A title like that would also be "technically" correct. Do you think any newspaper would use that headline?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJVP View Post
    "Mother raped had long history of sexual relations"

A title like that would also be "technically" correct. Do you think any newspaper would use that headline?
    The distinction between tone and technicality is substantial. I agree with the OP. And, yeah, I think a paper would use that headline with accounts of how short mom's miniskirt was and how many beers she'd drunk, etc. Still, she doesn't deserve to be raped. Are we talking about the same point?
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Links