I don't know what to make of this...

This is a discussion on I don't know what to make of this... within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't want to bash... But what's going on here as far as action during execution of a warrant? Seems a bit excessive... Story here ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I don't know what to make of this...

I don't know what to make of this...

I don't want to bash... But what's going on here as far as action during execution of a warrant? Seems a bit excessive...

Story here

Perry Iowa
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    I agreed initially until I read the comments sections so assuming this guy is accurate they had some cause for their actions.:

FactChecker2 at 7:05 PM November 19, 2011
    So let me get this right... a simple check of Iowa Courts Online shows that Chris Spaulding has the following criminal convictions: Filing a false report (lying to the cops), harassment 2nd (threating to kill someone) OWI, Domestic Abuse (wife beating), Interference with Acts (fighting with cops) Drug Paraphernalia, and Violation of a Protective Order (stalking) Matt Spaulding even has Felony Drug Dealing and Felony Assault convictions from November of this year. Not a big fan of cops but that News video clip was pathetic. Way to do some research WHO and way to support drug dealing wife beaters of America people. You all make me sick.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

If the guy is accurate, I agree, they had reason to be "aggressive." But he's saying convictions... If he was convicted of dealing drugs, why is he at home?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    If the guy is accurate, I agree, they had reason to be "aggressive." But he's saying convictions... If he was convicted of dealing drugs, why is he at home?
    Good question, makes you wonder though. Regardless, I still think shooting the "fleeing" dog is over the top.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

If it's the same guy, he has a long list of trial dates... some domestic abuse guilty pleas, etc. He's a bad guy... frequent flyer.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Oak is that "local" Iowa news for you?

Quote Originally Posted by bbqgrill View Post
    Oak is that "local" Iowa news for you?
    No, it is west of DesMoines, I'm much further east.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Makes one wonder..Just because you have had a run in the the law, doesnt make this kind of crap right. This was an abuse of power. Period...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

GM
    I might be wrong, but IMO something major is missing in this story.
    Last edited by GM; November 20th, 2011 at 02:09 PM.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I'm sure we can all trust the word of a convicted wife beating drunk who lies to the police and is involved in the drug trade. He would never give us anything but the unvarnished truth regarding what actually happened during the warrant service.
    bds9009 likes this.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

But still, there is a lot of dog-shooting: Dogs in a Deadly Crossfire - The Daily Beast

One of those things that make ya go Hmmmmmm....

First off the family history as it's reported indicates no tendancy of violence. But a mosh of various charges, and accusations.
    A warrant specifying any drugs legal or illegal? Whaa???... A search warrant for a vidio gaming system? what was it?... a drug case?, or a stolen property case?

On the other hand I see these were pit-bull or pit bull mix dogs. They can be very agressive, and very dangerous to police in this kind of a situtation. And we only have the subjects side of the story. I'm sure the police will present a different perspective.

If I were to speculate I'd probably say this was a local family well known to the local police as a nusance. Someone may have made a complaint that their property was in this farm house. So the locals go for a warrant. I do wonder how the sheriffs office got involved, or how they convinced a Judge that legal, or illegal drugs were involved. Many small town and rural police not having the experience that some larger, or busier departments have. Exicute's two search warrant for drugs and stolen property. Again being somewhat inexpierenced in such matters over reacted to a fairly simple situation.

VIP Member
    I found this curious--- "The other shows police were looking for a stolen X-Box video game system. No drugs and no stolen games were found--and no one was arrested." Makes one wonder about the initial information and maybe about motivation for all of this.

It would be really helpful to see a copy of the information filed to get that warrant.

Its odd, but we wouldn't be discussing whether the force was excessive if something had been found.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I take all media accounts with a grain of salt, but any smart but starving lawyer should realize he only needs to watch the "Cops" program, "Dallas Swat" or any other reality cop show, and he could make a mint with brutality suits.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I might be wrong, but IMO something major is missing in this story.
    I agree, I think there is much more to the story than what is in print.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links