Police advice.

This is a discussion on Police advice. within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey everyone, Well I started the application process for a local PD here in Nebraska, a town with roughly 50k people. I had a selection ...

Thread: Police advice.

Police advice.

Hey everyone,
    Well I started the application process for a local PD here in Nebraska, a town with roughly 50k people. I had a selection test earlier last month and scored really high which I was super happy about. And I just had a police department contact me and say they were interested in me. So now I get to start the application process. I was wondering if anyone(possibly some LEOs) would have some advice for me or suggestions? I am 23 and I have my associates in Criminal Justice currently working on my BA too. But I guess just maybe what I should expect through the application process?

Thanks for any input! I really appreciate it.

2. Remove Ads

Congratulations, system seems different from here in Ohio. I will stay general. Process sometimes can be long, just keep plugging along. Be truthful...find out the whole process and set your goals to obtain the job you want. do not get discouraged. After 27 years it is still a good job. Good luck...have fun and be careful when you get hired on.
    Craig S. Flaherty
    Suarez International Staff Instructor

My old department the background check and physical and psych testing took about ten months. You need to be straight up completely honest with them. They will go talk to your kindergarten teacher and anyone else who knows you. If they find out you "forgot" to tell them something they have to decide if that was an honest mistake, your memory is unreliable (as would be your testimony), or you intentionally tried to deceive them (not good). My department got more forgiving of bankruptcy after the dot com bubble burst but they still put your finances under a microscope. Instead of bankruptcy being an automatic rejection, they now look at what you were earning when you bought that $800k house. If you had a paycheck that could support ( at the time of purchase) your purchases it is ok. If you just had waaaaaay more credit than income and maxed everything out, that would be a no go based your demonstrated poor judgement.

Best of luck to you!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

If you can pick up a second language it would help. Be honest and straightforward and you should do well.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

As a LEO for 37 years I can only echo what the others have said. Do not lie, tell all the truth, and if hired, mouth shut, ears open for the first 2 to 4 years.
    Don't be THAT rookie.............................

VIP Member
    be prepared to be asked ANYTHING
    as others have said, you will get psych test (most likely written and and in-person visit with a shrink), extensive background checks, have to submit work history, personal references, they will check them and ask all sorts of questions to current and former employers/references, on the disclosure form....don't forget or intentionally hide anything...period
    if not already....get to running, lifting, doing pushups....lots of them
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links