Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank?

This is a discussion on Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Agreed, the potential is there, but as you stated yourself, the potential is there with any piece of equipment. A police prius (LOL) can be ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank?

Administrator
    Agreed, the potential is there, but as you stated yourself, the potential is there with any piece of equipment. A police prius (LOL) can be abused just as a Bearcat can be.

Just out of curiosity, what "OC bomb" incident are you referring too?
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Agreed, the potential is there, but as you stated yourself, the potential is there with any piece of equipment. A police prius (LOL) can be abused just as a Bearcat can be.

Just out of curiosity, what "OC bomb" incident are you referring too?
    The viral you tube vid...

And before you answer... I realize that police are there to enforce existing law... they were undoubtedly told to clear the "occupiers" from some public place... and that is the job... But, spraying those just sitting there... well I'd rather they just grabbed an ankle and started arresting... rather than walk up and down a line spraying the protesters just sitting there.

Happens in the first 20 seconds here... and another video shows him turning back to one he may have thought he missed.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Because it's cool and the Feds probably paid for it thru some HS clause.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but I honestly don't have a problem with the Police spraying them. They refused a lawful order issued by the Police.
    If you're holding a firearm and the Police tell you to drop it, you KNOW you will be shot if you don't. Certain behaviors have consequences.
    If you don't like or agree with the consequence, don't engage in the behavior. Just my 2 cent opinion for what it's worth.
    Now I'll get off my soapbox and return this thread to it's regularly scheduled topic.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

APCs are usually purchased with grant money. The feds have taken the money away from the community (via various taxes) and it is not like they will give it back if you ask for it in cash. Your local agencies can either put in for the grants and get something in return for your community that may actually provide a benefit to the community in some way shape or form, or, they can let it go and just have your tax dollars buy my Sheriff some new toys.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    Perception is reality. What's needed is an armored Bread Delivery Truck.
    Psychedelic paint would do a lot better than black.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    I wrote my U.S. Senator last year about a particular law enforcement agency purchasing some 20 mm sniper rifles.
    And I wrote my Congressman asking why the US Department of Education needed to buy short-barrelled shotguns... excuse me, exactly what is the DoEd's mission statement???

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but I honestly don't have a problem with the Police spraying them. They refused a lawful order issued by the Police.
    If you're holding a firearm and the Police tell you to drop it, you KNOW you will be shot if you don't. Certain behaviors have consequences.
    If you don't like or agree with the consequence, don't engage in the behavior. Just my 2 cent opinion for what it's worth.
    Now I'll get off my soapbox and return this thread to it's regularly scheduled topic.
    I understand that... It's kind of like "Go ahead and search, I've got nothing to hide." That works just fine, until the law reads you cannot have a weapon that is not registered with the authorities, or maybe any firearm at all?

If you don't do anything against the law, you have nothing to fear... At what point are you willing to "pay the price?" peaceful assembly? keeping and bearing arms? How about; quartering troops in your home, warrant-less search?

If I'm holding the weapon and police tell me to drop it... If I don't I'm going to get shot... agreed. What if they're wrong? it has happened... tragic... you bet, what if it was you?

tsk,tsk shoulda put it down... he wasn't quick enough in compliance
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sorry but there is no good reason for a militarized police force. They should not be driving around in APCs or using automatic weapons when the average civilian cannot. This trend towards statism, and this nonsense about how anyone who is peppered, tased, or shot by the police "should've complied quicker" and "if they don't want that to happen, don't be standing right there" is insulting to anyone who actually believes in a free society and bothers to think about it. These "Occupy" people are mis-guided, ignorant fools as far as I'm concerned, but until they commit violent acts or invade someone's private property no police force should lay a hand on them for expressing their opinions, however ridiculous they may be. That goes for anyone else in this country, and taking the peoples' money through taxes and buying armored vehicles that clearly look like tanks and rolling down the streets in them should not be tolerated.

Senior Moderator
    Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank?

Because they can?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I was beginning to think I was the only grizzled old fart that thought this way.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I understand that... It's kind of like "Go ahead and search, I've got nothing to hide." That works just fine, until the law reads you cannot have a weapon that is not registered with the authorities, or maybe any firearm at all?
    There's a big difference between a cop telling me that he needs me to move off of a public sidewalk and that I can't own a gun.

If you don't do anything against the law, you have nothing to fear... At what point are you willing to "pay the price?" peaceful assembly? keeping and bearing arms? How about; quartering troops in your home, warrant-less search?
    I'm tired of these hippies stretching the definition of 'peaceful assembly'. Again, a big difference between a cop asking you to move off of a public sidewalk and a warrant-less search.

If I'm holding the weapon and police tell me to drop it... If I don't I'm going to get shot... agreed. What if they're wrong? it has happened... tragic... you bet, what if it was you?

tsk,tsk shoulda put it down... he wasn't quick enough in compliance
    I suppose that I'm one of the few left who understand that a cop will likely error on the side of preserving their own life over preserving yours. I certainly would be of the same mindset if I wore a badge.

I appreciate your thoughts, Oakchas. I generally respect your comments and certainly take these under careful consideration. However, I'm back to being left with the conclusion that I'm just a grizzled 'old schooler' who thinks screaming protesters who ignore authority should have a wood shampoo coming.

Heaven forbid the day that comes that I would feel the need to rise up against my government. However if I did, I surely would not be some idiot sitting on a sidewalk waiting to get pepper-sprayed. Nor would you find me holding a protest sign, trashing my community, nor even raising my voice.

VIP Member
    Wow, did this thread get off topic. Popcorn, who has the popcorn?

Administrator
    I have lots of thoughts, but very little time at the moment.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I have lots of thoughts, but very little time at the moment.
    See, SIXTO, if your department had an APC you could be quietly composing your thoughts while grinding OWS protesters (and the Constitution) under your treads. NOW do you see why you need a tank? :)

And, by the by, if you guys know what MY police agency owned...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Heaven forbid the day that comes that I would feel the need to rise up against my government. However if I did, I surely would not be some idiot sitting on a sidewalk waiting to get pepper-sprayed. Nor would you find me holding a protest sign, trashing my community, nor even raising my voice.
    You could dress like a native American, and say, dump tea in a harbor.... Oh wait, some scalliwags already tried that one... And eventually , I'm sure they no longer raised their voices in protest, but joined a revolution...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links