Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank? - Page 3

Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank?

This is a discussion on Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank? within the Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OPFOR See, SIXTO, if your department had an APC you could be quietly composing your thoughts while grinding OWS protesters (and the ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Why does Tampa Bay need an APC/tank?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    See, SIXTO, if your department had an APC you could be quietly composing your thoughts while grinding OWS protesters (and the Constitution) under your treads. NOW do you see why you need a tank? :)

And, by the by, if you guys know what MY police agency owned...
    Big black Surburbans? (And then some?)
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Police departments have become militarized. Long gone is community policing. I can't wait to see the outrage when they start using drones.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Police departments have become militarized. Long gone is community policing. I can't wait to see the outrage when they start using drones.
    I can see the anger... Drones are used on "the enemy" not on the people... When they start doing that.... it will be interesting to see the response.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    I can see the anger... Drones are used on "the enemy" not on the people... When they start doing that.... it will be interesting to see the response.
    I think this got scrapped by the new mayor due to backlash from this story ... but they had every intention to and I see it coming in the future:

New Police Drone Near Houston Could Carry Weapons | News - Home

Actually while hunting the "Beltway Sniper" we had two drones assigned to the task force.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Actually while hunting the "Beltway Sniper" we had two drones assigned to the task force.
    I don't doubt that due to the vicinity in where these attacks were occurring.

Senior Moderator
    Just one example of a police armored vehicle being used to protect life: Armored Vehicle Aids In Rescue of Shot Parks Officer - News - POLICE Magazine
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    Just one example of a police armored vehicle being used to protect life: Armored Vehicle Aids In Rescue of Shot Parks Officer - News - POLICE Magazine
    I eagerly await somebody to counter with a waco comment

I eagerly await somebody to counter with a waco comment
    Uh, wouldn't Warthogs have been quicker on scene?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    One only has to look as far a the well publicized North Hollywood shoot out. Had something like that been available, the whole thing would have ended quicker. Our county has one too, (which is badass BTW) but it is hardly a "military" vehicle. It is the latest and greatest of police "tanks". (Bearcat G3) Its armored, its black and has a beefy suspension and drive train... the tank similarity ends there.
    With crime getting more and more violent, liability getting more and more costly, I can see the need for larger agencies to have an armored vehicle, the rest is just a false perception by the public who either doesn't know any better or a public that see's what they want to see.

Lets say for a minute you and your family is trapped in your house because a neighbor goes looney and is holding your block hostage with a 30.06- Do you want an armored vehicle coming to get you, or an old bread truck?

Other than that, the linked story is a garbage, rile up the lemmings type of story.

Well the Russians stopped the German tanks with a simple ditch so where do you go next? Airborne LEO's? How about the CH-47 to carry LEO's in? How about Blackhawk gun ships? Maybe a 'Puff The Magic Dragon ' gun ship? At some point enough is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    The viral you tube vid...

And before you answer... I realize that police are there to enforce existing law... they were undoubtedly told to clear the "occupiers" from some public place... and that is the job... But, spraying those just sitting there... well I'd rather they just grabbed an ankle and started arresting... rather than walk up and down a line spraying the protesters just sitting there.

Happens in the first 20 seconds here... and another video shows him turning back to one he may have thought he missed.
    Ever notice how such videos start right when the cop starts doing something bad? And doesn't show the minutes before hand? Must be because everything that happened before that video started was normal, right, those protesters certainly had no verbal warning before the cop moved up his continuum of force. Awfully fortuitous for the videographer, who happens to be part of the crowd that doesn't like cops.

As far as the APC (it certainly is not a tank), I don't see an issue with law enforcement agencies having them. People shoot at police officers, police chiefs don't want their officers to get shot, so they have an armored vehicle to us for higher risk missions. Makes sense to me. The design of it looks pretty much purely defensive. There are no mounted weapons, just some extra material added to the body to protect those inside.

If they start running around in Abrahms, I think that is one thing, but an armored truck? Not so much.

By the way, civilians can own armored vehicles too.

These "Occupy" people are mis-guided, ignorant fools as far as I'm concerned, but until they commit violent acts or invade someone's private property no police force should lay a hand on them for expressing their opinions, however ridiculous they may be. That goes for anyone else in this country, and taking the peoples' money through taxes and buying armored vehicles that clearly look like tanks and rolling down the streets in them should not be tolerated.
    The park the whole thing started in was private property, and they refused to leave for months. And you can find a lot of instances of violence associated with the movement, everything from murder, to sex assault, to assault, to drugs. I am all for free speech, but free speech is done in a peaceful, mature manner. Squatting on someone else's land demanding freebies in life isn't the same thing.
    SIXTO, mcp1810, MattInFla and 1 others like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I 100% support Lt. John Pike. I absolutely abhor the dean who hung him, his brothers and sisters, and his chief out to dry after issuing the order.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    The park the whole thing started in was private property, and they refused to leave for months. And you can find a lot of instances of violence associated with the movement, everything from murder, to sex assault, to assault, to drugs. I am all for free speech, but free speech is done in a peaceful, mature manner. Squatting on someone else's land demanding freebies in life isn't the same thing.
    That wasn't necessarily a comment for that specific situation, more of a general statement. I agree that squatting on private property is not ok and they should have been forced off one way or the other. While actual incidents of violence by these people should be swiftly punished, doing drugs is not an act of violence and there is no constitutional basis for outlawing it, but that is another can of worms entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I think it would be put to better use, if they would sink it in the bay, for a man-made reef.
    We can always use another hot spot for fishing.
    Just my $.02 cents
    But then the tide will go out and we would have to look at the stupid thing for the next 12 hours.

I 100% support Lt. John Pike. I absolutely abhor the dean who hung him, his brothers and sisters, and his chief out to dry after issuing the order.
    You support abuse of powers by police officer's?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links